Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does you HDCP reflect your true abilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does you HDCP reflect your true abilities?

a lot of guys here track their handicaps officially with the GAO/RCGA software and some use unofficial tracking sites.

obviously, your index is supposed to accurately reflect what your scoring potential should be on a good day.

do you find you can shoot your number or close to it at a new course? how about a course you've played before?

if you're a member at a course and play a large majority of your rounds at a home course, do you find you have a hard time at something 'new' or 'different style' (parkland to links-like)?

how often do you shoot better than your HDCP?

do you have a stable index that takes a spike at the beginning of the season and steadily drops over the summer as you "warm up" so to speak?

are you a player that has a few breakout rounds that skew your index? or a bunch of steady rounds?
    Last edited by focal; Jun 24, 2009, 06:28 AM.

Re: does you HDCP reflect your true abilities?

I find my scores fairly consistent, regardless of whether I've played the course. I lose my strokes just by not getting up and down, which I can and can't do at any course, regardless of whether I've played it.

Out of eight rounds this year, I've beaten my index twice. Most of my rounds are about a stroke higher than my index.

Comment

I always think i'm much better than my index(12-14).....i can drive long ...my irons are solid most of the time..my short game is decent...im finally putting decently yet at the end of the day im still a mid 80's to low 90's player.

Comment

I know I am much better than my current index would have you believe.

Unfortunately, my scores have exploded while grooving a new swing plane. It's much flatter than the old one, and will pay dividends in the long run. No pain, no gain I figure.

Typically though, I would shoot around my cap with the occasional low low round where everything comes together. I shot 77 at my old home course last year (par 70) while carrying a 15 handicap.
        10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
        16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
        20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
        4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
        Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

I tend to be pretty inconsistent, especially with my driver. This leads to a lot of variation in my scores. When I keep the driver in play the entire round I'm usually low 80s and feel as though I've left a few strokes out on the course. When I'm fighting the driver all day I struggle to break 90, sometimes getting as high as 95-97.

At the end of the day though my factor is just a shade over 10. I always feel if I can ever find serious consistency with my driver I could easily get below an 8.

I'd say it accurately reflects my potential but at the same time I can easily go 5 or 6 rounds without even getting near my cap.
          Last edited by JR59; Jun 23, 2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
            I know I am much better than my current index would have you believe.

Unfortunately, my scores have exploded while grooving a new swing plane.
            Like you, I blew my swing up on purpose this year in order to get better. It's actually coming along nicely. My current hdcp is higher than it should be but not as high as it would be had I put my horrific rounds on.

I have more trouble scoring at my course than at other courses. Very slightly out of position and it is bogey time. Our slope is stupid low and in spite of a lower hdcp due to the slope my hdcp travels well.
            I like big putts and I cannot lie
            You other putters can't deny
            That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
            You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I play to my hcp maybe once in 10 tries, and a new course is certain death for me.

So far this year, I am the guy for whom ESC was invented.

Comment

For me it's pretty close. This year, I've been a few shots over my HDCP and it's gone from a 8.3 to a 9.1. Like someone said earlier, course does not seem to matter. If I play to the 150 marker and keep the ball in play off the tee, the score depends on short game and putting. If I'm doing that well, I usually end up a shot or 2 around my HDCP. One thing I am finding out, is that as it gets lower, it's difficult to keep it there or get it lower. You really have to be consistant.

Comment

I find that my handicap is indicative of what I can shoot maybe the best 20% of the time. So 80% of the time I shoot worse than my handicap. Which is as it should be, that's what caps are for, to make it so you have to shoot your best to be net under par. Some people think your handicap's supposed to be what you shoot "most of the time" but that's only true if you shoot the same score every day like clockwork. Right now I play off a 5.8 and I'm just as likely to shoot 90 as I am to shoot 75
                  ** I do not claim responsibility for any of the preceding opinions because I am legally insane - Hombre Lefty

Comment

i would say my handicap is lying right now as iam playing well... my last 12 rounds have been anywhere from 73-80 right now i feeling like im playing lower then my handicap... it is dropping pretty quick tho! which ive pretty happy about.... i still gotta break that barrier from being a 6-8 handicap to going down to a 2-3 its very! hard to do...
                    In the Taylormade Staff Bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 10.5* w/ HZRDUS Red 65X
                    3wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ HZRDUS Red 75X
                    Hybrid: Taylormade M1 19* w/ HZRDUS Black 85X
                    Irons: Taylormade Psi Tour (3-pw) w/ DG X100 TI
                    Wedges: Taylormade EF (52,58) w/ DG X100 TI
                    Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Counterbalance 37"

Handicap +3

Chriswilsongolf.ca

Comment

I think mine is still kinda low.

Cap is at 2.4 because I carded a 68 once this year but just tonight carded my second under par round of the year. Only a couple 72's and a bunch of 74 - 76 ish type junk.

At least with 25 er so rounds in the 0.8 cap is gone though.
                      Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Interesting to read that most people feel they only occassionally play to their handicap. That's good, because your Handicap Factor (Index is what the USGA calls it) is a reflection of your potential ability. Because your Factor is based upon your best differentials from a set of scores (best 10 of 20, if you have at least 20 rounds posted) it is reflecting your best golf played.

Statistically, you should play to your handicap about 1 in 4 rounds. To play to your handicap means your score minus the Course Rating would be equal your Course Handicap (CH = Factor X Slope, divided by 113, round to whole number). I sometimes refer to this as a 'Target Score'.

Comment

i also find it has a lot to do with the individual course too. For example two courses might be rated equally hard but for whatever reason you might just hate one and love the other. I notice that when you look at not just scores but the acctual differential, and see the top 10 of 20 rounds used to calculate, it's sometimes surprising in that it wasn't the rounds you thought were your best ones... for me it always seems to be the same courses that show up as the good rounds. Call me crazy, but my best differentials always seem to come on Carrick designed courses...
                          ** I do not claim responsibility for any of the preceding opinions because I am legally insane - Hombre Lefty

Comment

Courses with higher slope and ratings bring your differential down. If you're playing on Carrick courses from long tee blocks, this may be the case. Also, if you have a blow up hole or two, once you apply ESC, these blow-ups are mitigated which can also contribute to how your differentials are being calculated.

Comment

I'm about a 19, and I'm generally shooting 95-100. My putting is getting better, but still nowhere near respectable (still generally around 40 putts per round). I figure I can shave about 3-5 strokes easily off my average scores from putting alone. I just can't stand practicing putting!
                              In the bag, in various combinations:
                              Ping G30 10.5*, stiff flex stock
                              Nike VR Pro 4w, Project X 6.0
                              Nike VR Pro 3h/4h, Project X 6.0
                              Ping G25 5-PW, stiff flex stock
                              Callaway X-Forged 56* MD, wedge flex
                              Cally X-Tour 52*/60* MD, wedge flex
                              Odyssey Black #2
                              Current hcp ~ 20 and growing

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                                TrGo
                                iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X