Collapse

Any Courses near Fergus?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Courses near Fergus?

Have a family function north of Fergus next week and might be able to schedule a round in before the festivities begin.

Any suggestions on a good public course in the area?

Re: Any Courses near Fergus?

Basically no. There are some courses but nothing that would fall in the "good" category.

If you are willing to drive 20 minutes or so
    http://www.guelphlakesgolf.ca/ is a very nice course in the south end of Guelph.

18 is a monster up hill at 600 yds from the back. Lots of water, nicely maintained.
    WITB
    9.5 Nike Covert
    15 TM Rocketballz
    3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
    52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
    TM White Smoke

Comment

Wildwinds is out that way. About 15 mins from Fergus. I've never played it but it doesn't look too bad.

Victoria Park East is also about 30 mins away.

Mike R.

Comment

Osprey is a short jaunt from Fergus.
        Taylormade R9 SuperDeep
        KZG GF2 15*
        Adams Pro Black 20*
        Titleist AP2 4-PW
        Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
        Taylormade Ghost

Comment

Wildwinds is actually only 5 minutes away...I have only played it twice, and I live in Fergus.

If you want a round when you drop over my neck of the woods, I would go to either Calerin (nine holer over by Erin, but pretty solid if you ask me and luv2golow), or my regular stomping ground Victoria Park East which is 20-25 minute drive to either of these two. Guelph Lakes is alot closer, but it depends on the type of course you like. Its fairly short and narrow especially at the first few holes with small, very undulating greens....which to me is the courses defense.

I would go with Calerin or Vic Park East.
          "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sellis View Post
            Osprey is a short jaunt from Fergus.
            Yup, Osprey is approx 25-30 minutes away and is SUPURB! Mind you, the green fees will be alot more than Calerin or Vic East.

Comment

Originally posted by Samick View Post
              Wildwinds is actually only 5 minutes away...I have only played it twice, and I live in Fergus.

If you want a round when you drop over my neck of the woods, I would go to either Calerin (nine holer over by Erin, but pretty solid if you ask me and luv2golow), or my regular stomping ground Victoria Park East which is 20-25 minute drive to either of these two. Guelph Lakes is alot closer, but it depends on the type of course you like. Its fairly short and narrow especially at the first few holes with small, very undulating greens....which to me is the courses defense.

I would go with Calerin or Vic Park East.
              Thanks for the input guys!

I played Calerin a few years ago and thought it was okay...but would definitely be looking for 18. Played the HOOT a couple weeks ago and loved it...will be heading back there later in the summer.

What would be the strongest course out of Guelph Lakes, Victoria Park & Wildwinds?

Comment

Originally posted by ninja View Post
                Thanks for the input guys!

I played Calerin a few years ago and thought it was okay...but would definitely be looking for 18. Played the HOOT a couple weeks ago and loved it...will be heading back there later in the summer.

What would be the strongest course out of Guelph Lakes, Victoria Park & Wildwinds?
                For me, I like Vic east the best but the general consensus might be Guelph Lakes.

Comment

I think the easiest of the 3 is Vic and that is because the fairways are wide(and anyone who has seen me off of the tee understands I appreciate that ). It is easily walkable and there is not too much
                  slope to it relative to the other two. It is a more of a classic course, 35 years old. I like it the most of the three.

Wildwinds has a lot more slope on the fairway. There are no long holes.
                  They make up for it with the greens. There is some nasty slope of some of them and #9 if you don't land in the middle of the green you won't stay on it. Very few people walk that course.

Guelph Lake has a lot of up and down on it, but it is quite walkable. I think it is the most challenging of the three.

As for cost, high 30s to high 40s during the week, with Vic being at the top, then GL and then Wildwinds. They all offer something, and i don't think you would be disappointed with any one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
                    For me, I like Vic east the best but the general consensus might be Guelph Lakes.
                    I think its a toss-up, there was a thread on it not too long ago.

Originally posted by yako reflog View Post
                    I think the easiest of the 3 is Vic and that is because the fairways are wide(and anyone who has seen me off of the tee understands I appreciate that ). It is easily walkable and there is not too much
                    slope to it relative to the other two. It is a more of a classic course, 35 years old. I like it the most of the three.

Wildwinds has a lot more slope on the fairway. There are no long holes.
                    They make up for it with the greens. There is some nasty slope of some of them and #9 if you don't land in the middle of the green you won't stay on it. Very few people walk that course.

Guelph Lake has a lot of up and down on it, but it is quite walkable. I think it is the most challenging of the three.

As for cost, high 30s to high 40s during the week, with Vic being at the top, then GL and then Wildwinds. They all offer something, and i don't think you would be disappointed with any one of them.
                    I agree...if you can get past the first 5 holes unscathed, you should have a pretty good day, until you reach the 18th! Bugger has my #!

Conditions of the course, hands down Vic East...its always in mint condition. That being said, the 5th hole had some construction to it this spring with additional drainage added because of all the water in the low laying area and the tees have been moved up a block or two.

I'm just not that big a fan of Guelph Lakes because of the first 3 or 4 holes are really quirky, and the greens are pretty small and typically really firm with huge mounds. Some guys really like it though.
                    Last edited by Samick; Jun 24, 2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Guelph Lakes is my pic.

Comment

Guelph Lakes has the 4 rudest awakening holes in the local area and the greens are usually terrific over the entire 18. IMO it is more interesting than Victoria East which is flat when compared to Guelph lakes. Their Patio and Bar is better but food's about the same. Both have good driving ranges.

Comment

Depending how far north of Fergus you are you may be close to Pike Lake. It is near Mt. Forest. I haven't played there since they opened up their links course, but a number of guys I work with have and they say good things about it. $45 during the week and $50 on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by yako reflog View Post
                            Depending how far north of Fergus you are you may be close to Pike Lake. It is near Mt. Forest. I haven't played there since they opened up their links course, but a number of guys I work with have and they say good things about it. $45 during the week and $50 on weekends.
                            The 40 minute drive from Fergus may be a bit too far BUT you've definitely sparked my curiousity with this course.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X