Collapse

Cart Girls

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart Girls

I know, I know - many of you all look forward to the visits of the cute girls delivering your beer. You might even turn on the charm to maybe pursue a fantasy (see other thread on most amazing thing...)
    But yesterday, one more event to make me grumpy - A cart girl who floors it to get to the next foursome to collect her next big tip. Not thinking (or knowing enough about the game) that maybe someone is teeing off.
    Happened yesterday on a links course in the west part of GTA. I'm just coming off a hole won - back in the match, step up to the tee, get into my waggle, start the backswing and here she comes - and there it goes - into the LHS fescue.
    Are these girls briefed on etiquette, or just on maxing out their income, or just that the golf course and the players don't matter, coz she's the star and it all is about her...
    Last edited by brianfrench; Jun 25, 2009, 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Cart Girls

I would like to think that there is some teaching that goes into when and where they should stop to serve but seldom do I see it happen. The classic is when they stop by a greenside and everyone after putting huddles around and your left out in the middle of the fairway trying to be patient but hesitant to hit because they are technically in the line of a possible misfire.

I remember a few years ago at Glenway, we were in a tourney and we are on the tee box of the par 3 8th hole I think. For those that know it , it is an elevated tee box and the cart path runs directly in fron of the tees. I am setting up the shot for a closest to the pin and out of nowhere on my backswing this beer cart drives right in front of me. Needless to say I was just a little perturbed but didn't want to upset the cutie driving. Took my second from the ^&%$ bunker!!!
    Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

My group was on the tee at a par 3, and the guys were discussing the distance. "165", "170", things like that. The cart girl is kind of hanging around to see if we want anything. We're rabbits so we're not wasting much time. The guy with honors is on the tee, over his ball.

She says "I heard a group earlier say it was 145 but I'm not too sure." And then walks to the cart. After I hit, I went over to her and politely but firmly gave her some friendly advice that she should never, ever offer advice especailly when someone is over the ball. Do not introduce doubt into a person's mind. She's not a caddy, she's a cart girl. Were she to do that to the wrong member, they would have her fired. I know I would have flipped had she done that to me. I don't have any pull to get her fired(nor would I try), but I would make sure that whoever manages them knew all about my displeasure.

About a month later, same girl, same hole. The cart path actually goes at a funny angle from the previous hole because there is a washroom nearby, and then you come back to the tee. She has the cart there. She sells some drinks to the people coming up the other direction. Then, as one of our guys are on the tee, she guns the cart so she can move it 90* and about 4 feet, presumably for shade. One of the guys who wasn't hitting asked why she moved the cart at all. The guy on the tee gave her a stare, but thinking he was staring because she is blond, she smiled and waved back. He didn't bother clarifying.

Maybe since I don't drink on the course, I don't see their necessity, and as such don't give them a free pass for stupid behavior due to being easy on the eyes. Some of them know how to go about things, but the ones who don't don't get a free pass from me due to their looks.

Comment

I thought real hard before not including the course and girls name. But by not includign same, all course managers in the west GTA can assume that it was them and make sure that their cart service staff know why they are there (and it's not for them to make tips).
        I had a marshal problem yesterday, too.
        I had been on a roll and pulled by approach pin high about 10 yds off the green, i went through my routine, fixed on a trajectory and landing point, set up to the ball, started by back swing and a marshall came around a corner to stop about 20 feet away.
        Of course, I backed off couldn't get by nirvana back and chunked it.
        Did get up and down from there, but I was mighty aggravated (at me for putting it there and at him for interrupting my shot). I think that marshals should always anticipate a player is about to play when they are turning a corner near a green.
        But then again I got a rep of blaming a butterfly landing on a flower 100 yards away...

Comment

I just assume the cart girls are just there to make some money in the summer. I semi-expect that at any given time, they will do something that they shouldn't even if they are briefed when they are first hired - who can remember all the do's and don't do's anyway if they are new to the golf scene.

Since I don't play in any competition except for some casual skins from time to time, if someone get rattled and mis-hit as a result of the action of a cart girl, we just give them a do-over.

Not the end of the world, not enought to ruin a round of golf for me.

Comment

I play for money - and bragging rights. And do overs dont work Cap wise

Comment

Originally posted by brianfrench View Post
              I play for money - and bragging rights. And do overs dont work Cap wise
              In that case, you should report the incident to the course manager about the indiscretion of the cart girl and marshall.

Comment

Neah... not worth it - was angry until I won anyway - maybe just a lot less than I mighta.

Comment

i noticed this sort of thing happening more and more recently... just as you mentioned - stopping and selling people beer while they're in the middle of putting, driving right past you in the middle of your shot....
                  ** I do not claim responsibility for any of the preceding opinions because I am legally insane - Hombre Lefty

Comment

I can top this anyways, bro.

A few years ago I'm playing in a tournament I organized. It's at Elmira and the first tee is maybe 40 yards from the edge of the club house. While all the other players are teeing off I'm constantly having to tell surrounding people that players are on the tee (polite for "shut the heck up").

Being in the last group, I am finally on the tee and in the middle of my back swing some dolt poors a bucket full of ice into a bev cart making more noise than I would have thought possible.

Ever since then, I watch closely who is around and whats going on before I swing. Don't trust golf course staff to know something about golf because they just don't any more.
                    Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre Lefty View Post
                      i noticed this sort of thing happening more and more recently... just as you mentioned - stopping and selling people beer while they're in the middle of putting, driving right past you in the middle of your shot....

Even other groups do that.

I always love the guys you can hear talking to each other from over 100 yards away on a completely different hole.
                      Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

I came very close once to hitting one. I was right in the start of the downswing and she tries to out run my swing.
                        I thought I blew one of my knees out stopping, the young lady just waved, smiled and then scurried off to the next group.

Wasn't impressed at all.

Rick

Comment

I wonder if the courses really care - I suspect a lot of the girls are kids of employers or neighbours

Comment

They care about profits....not your score...

Originally posted by brianfrench View Post
                            I wonder if the courses really care - I suspect a lot of the girls are kids of employers or neighbours

Comment

We never have this type of problem with the girls at our club. That's because they do two things. They train them before they can go out on the cart and they drive the course backwards (meaning they head out from #9 heading towards #8 and #18 headin towards #17). Therefore they don't come up from behind you and they always see what is out in front of them.
                              Last edited by Mule56; Jun 26, 2009, 09:26 AM.
                              In The Ogio
                              Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
                              Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
                              Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
                              Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
                              Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
                              Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
                              MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X