X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt McKay--Questions about RCGA championships

Matt,

Just wanted to clarify a few things.

Looking on the RCGA website, it shows that for the Amateur, there are allocated spots to different provinces, exemptions, 4 spots for prominent golfers at the RCGA's discretion, and then qualifying with 84 spots but 10 of which are strictly the home province's choosing. My question here is, how many players are in the field when the Amateur tees off on the first day, and how many players come out of the qualifying?

Also, looking at the Mid-Amateur, it talks a lot about a "team" thing. The GAO website indicates four players will represent the GAO as "Team Ontario" in the Caandian Mid-Am. Does this mean every province sends 4 players to this tournament?

I'm trying to understand a couple of things, but wanted to get clarification on this first.

Re: Matt McKay--Questions about RCGA championships

I'll check with some of the folks in Championships and get some answers for you asap...

Comment

Thanks Matt. I should clarify the Mid-am question: does that mean the field is comprised of only 4 players from each province?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefan75 View Post
        Thanks Matt. I should clarify the Mid-am question: does that mean the field is comprised of only 4 players from each province?
        I am assuming the Mid-Am has the same type of competition as the Willingdon Cup.

Comment

There is 156 players in the Amateur, 4 of which typically make it out of the qualifier (sometimes more, depending on exemptions).

As for the Mid-Am, there are 4-player teams for each province, but then the rest of the 156 player field is filled through the Provincial quota and exemptions, like the Am.

Adam LeBrun
          Coordinator, Rules and Competitions
          Royal Canadian Golf Association
          t: 905-849-9700 ext. 208 or 1-800-263-0009

Comment

OK, that's good information to know. So 4 players qualify for the Amateur. And glad to know the mid-Am is more than just 40 players.

The reason I asked this is in line with the earlier discussion about trying to make the RCGA more relevant. Now I may just be a single lonely voice on this, and no one else thinks this way. I think part of the reason the USGA is far more relevant to the US golfing public(aside from the fact of the US Open)has to do with the way they run their championships. If you want to compete in the US Amateur, you enter the US Amateur qualifying, and you get through that and you are in. You don't need to qualify for your state Am, then hope you finish high enough in the allocation spots in order to make the US Amateur field. Same with the Mid-Am. The state Ams are completely different animals on their own. Why is this not the case in Canada?

How many players even think about the Canadian Amateur? It's some abstract thing that if you do this, and find that, and this thingamabobber works out, maybe you can play in it, but you better have the good day in May in order to even think about all of that. Why does there need to be so many layers to the process.

Now, note that I am not advocating any kind of lowering of the standards to enter qualifying. I do not think the incentive for people to improve should be removed. The handicap limits are good where they are. But I do think it's silly that a person needs to qualify for their provincial amateur, hope they have enough spots and finish within that. Maybe the exact same people go through under a separate qualifying, and so be it, but each event should be its own entity.

The RCGA has been criticized in the past for being very clubby, and an insulated group, and this just adds to that. IN fairness, it seems to be nearly universal in Canada for some reason for sports to set their levels up this way, so the RCGA is not alone(but the CSA for example should be a very cautionary tell that what is done is not necessarily the best). But when it's a case of "Well, if you do ok here, which needs you to do this here even before that, and if we say this area can get that many spots, then maybe you can play in our tournament."

Maybe I'm way off, but I think part of the way the RCGA can become more relevant is to have its own direct qualifying to the national championships. They are different events than the provincial ones, why should one be used as the feeder for the other? Just in this alone the RCGA already takes a backseat to the provincial associations.

Comment

I am not privy to all the discussions that are currently ongoing in RCGA Championships, but I do know that serious changes are likely forthcoming to all aspects of RCGA amateur competions. Field, venue, schedule...it's all up for discussion. The goal is to increase the stature of RCGA events, and that is all related to getting the best fields on the best courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt MacKay View Post
                I am not privy to all the discussions that are currently ongoing in RCGA Championships, but I do know that serious changes are likely forthcoming to all aspects of RCGA amateur competions. Field, venue, schedule...it's all up for discussion. The goal is to increase the stature of RCGA events, and that is all related to getting the best fields on the best courses.
                Well now this is good news. Simmons(sp?) has already ruffled a lot of feathers, which is a very good thing IMHO. Hopefully some traction is gained on these matters.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X