/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Still looking forward to seeing that magical round, string of holes...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still looking forward to seeing that magical round, string of holes...

The scramble comment below got me thinking again about sandbaggers and those who make incredulous claims. I remember playing with a good (long long hitter) but inconsistent player claiming he usually made a chip in every round along with 20-30' putts with regularity.

Never have I seen someone or people in my foursome or golf games do that. Yes may see a string of good holes, but never seen an 18 where I saw an assortment of chips made (put within a foot) and at least a few bombs made. And you wonder why I question -14+ in these scrambles.

So tell me the best stretch (or 18) you've played or been witness to. Again not talking the solid round (i.e. Kenny Perry), but that spectacular play, which like the "big fish" story you've heard.

Re: Still looking forward to seeing that magical round, string of holes...

Best stretch was -6 through 5 holes - eagled the first, birdied the next 4 (with one chip-in and a miracle shot out of the trees). Gave them all back by the 12th, but man it was fun

Alan

Comment

it's all relative to the player level, but I've had a string of 4's on a course once (about 10 in a row). regardless if it was a par 3,4 or 5.

I could also say that I've had a string of 9 index recorded rounds lately that were all at or below my index at the time. That would have put me in the sandbagger name calling category.
      Last edited by focal; Jun 30, 2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
        And you wonder why I question -14+ in these scrambles.

I don't know why you don't get it, have you ever played a scramble and what was the format?
        My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
          And you wonder why I question -14+ in these scrambles.
          It isn't too hard to understand. I used to play in a scramble every year and most years the winning score was between 57 and 59.

If the course isn't overly tough, a foursome of scratch, or near scratch golfers should be able to go very low in a scramble. Think about it, if they are all scratch players, they all know how to score. You would certainly assume that they are in the fairway on every hole, can reach most par 5s in 2 and all are solid putters.

Also they will most likely employ a strategy on all their shots, for example from the fairway the first guy will try to play safely to the middle of the green, the other 3 will all fire at the pin. Same with putting, the first guy will try to lag it up there nicely for a 2 putt and the other 3 will try to make it no matter what.

I am usually surprised when the winning score at a scramble isn't low 60s or high 50s.

Comment

if we're talking rounds, i had a stretch earlier this year of 6 rounds in a row under 74, followed by a string of 5 rounds over 85....

as for holes, I went on a tear at Don Valley last year, carded a 42 on the front and on the back was making putts from everywhere for a 31. Greens were slow so could just bomb putts right at the hole with no fear...

Last year, Mrs Hombre had 2 holes in one and 4 tee shots within an inch of the hole within a month span, which I thought was pretty unusual...
            ** I do not claim responsibility for any of the preceding opinions because I am legally insane - Hombre Lefty

Comment

Originally posted by JR59 View Post
              It isn't too hard to understand. I used to play in a scramble every year and most years the winning score was between 57 and 59.

If the course isn't overly tough, a foursome of scratch, or near scratch golfers should be able to go very low in a scramble. Think about it, if they are all scratch players, they all know how to score. You would certainly assume that they are in the fairway on every hole, can reach most par 5s in 2 and all are solid putters.

Also they will most likely employ a strategy on all their shots, for example from the fairway the first guy will try to play safely to the middle of the green, the other 3 will all fire at the pin. Same with putting, the first guy will try to lag it up there nicely for a 2 putt and the other 3 will try to make it no matter what.

I am usually surprised when the winning score at a scramble isn't low 60s or high 50s.
              If one scratch golfer can shoot 59, imagine what 4 of them can do picking the best drive, the best chip and they all see the line of putts low 50's is in the cards all the time.
              My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

I was reading Fairways magazine today and it mentioned that students at MIT came up with a calculation based on greens in regulations.

Probable score within 1.5 strokes is 95 - 2xGIR so if a group hits 18 GIR that is 95 - 36 = 59.

Last year in a 3 man scramble with mid-handicappers we hit 17 of 18 greens (missed 1 from 90 yards) and scored 64.

This calculation doesn't include a crack putter seeing 3 others giving him a line on every putt.
                I like big putts and I cannot lie
                You other putters can't deny
                That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
                  I was reading Fairways magazine today and it mentioned that students at MIT came up with a calculation based on greens in regulations.

Probable score within 1.5 strokes is 95 - 2xGIR so if a group hits 18 GIR that is 95 - 36 = 59.

Last year in a 3 man scramble with mid-handicappers we hit 17 of 18 greens (missed 1 from 90 yards) and scored 64.

This calculation doesn't include a crack putter seeing 3 others giving him a line on every putt.
                  Good call on the article. I read that too.

I guess the point in all this is that for really good golfers, going really low in a scramble is almost a given.

Comment

I was in a scramble at Royal Woodbine once and we won at 12 or 14 under (can't remember). It was two 8 - 10 handicaps.. a 4 or so and one other who could have been anywhere between 6 - 12 (it was a last minute fill in) ... the 'secret' there was that the two 8 - 10's were long hitters (we had eagle puts on all par 5's I believe.. ) and the low cap was one of the the best putters I've ever seen .. given that he saw 3 people attempt the putt before him he made almost everything 10 -12 feet and that also gave the rest of us confidence to go for it ... I used to think people who came in at 16 or 17 under were likely cheaters but I think for 4 good golfers (especially with one great putter) its very doable..

Comment

Anthony,

This is not to disrespect you. I really do believe this.

If you want to score better you have to stop worrying about thing you can't control. When you are on the golf course all you should worry about is your next shot. In between shot you could and should be talking to your friends/other players. When it is your turn you should be concentrating about your shot.

You worry about: slow play, people cheating, people lying, marshall not doing his job, beer cart in the way, people in front drinking, being late for supper, etc... I have a friend like this who has lots of talent but he worries so much about everything that his HDCP is about 13 and not coming down...

Also, people do shoot 56, 58, 59, ... in a 4 person scramble and they are not cheating!
                      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                        Anthony,

This is not to disrespect you. I really do believe this.

If you want to score better you have to stop worrying about thing you can't control. When you are on the golf course all you should worry about is your next shot. In between shot you could and should be talking to your friends/other players. When it is your turn you should be concentrating about your shot.

You worry about: slow play, people cheating, people lying, marshall not doing his job, beer cart in the way, people in front drinking, being late for supper, etc... I have a friend like this who has lots of talent but he worries so much about everything that his HDCP is about 13 and not coming down...

Also, people do shoot 56, 58, 59, ... in a 4 person scramble and they are not cheating!
                        Geez I'm having fun here and asking a question as I have never been witness to one of these runs that includes miracle shots, chip in and long putts.

Actually everyone has taken to talking about scrambles and I really was commenting on the individual round where you or your partner make 1-2 chips and 2-3 25'+ putts.

As for the scrambles, I want to see that -16 @ EN, Angus or Lionhead as the group has to be playing out of their minds. Usually I see winners who don't strike me as all single digit handicappers who hit it 300.

The OP was really about the partner you play with who claims to do things on the course that you don't see (the chip in, up and downs, birdie runs and bombs that happen when you don't play with them).
                        Last edited by Anthony; Jun 30, 2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by golf nut View Post
                          If one scratch golfer can shoot 59, imagine what 4 of them can do picking the best drive, the best chip and they all see the line of putts low 50's is in the cards all the time.

I don't see scratch golfers shooting 59. Maybe a +3 or +4 but not a scratch.
                          Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Sorry Anthony now I know what you mean. I am sure we all have stories about shot we have hit here and there.

The other day I am 5o yards out on a par 5 and hit a ½ wedge exactly where I wanted and the ball bounce and roll left like it was suppose and right in... for an eagle.

If I play with you next week don't expect me to do this again...no chance...lol.

Your friend that makes a 20' to 30' putt every round... not really true but in his mind maybe... just humor him...
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

I've carded 5 birds in a row and then cooled off on the back nine to shoot 68.

Today I shot 69 in the rain.

And I'm only a 2 hdcp. There's TONS of better players out there. 16 under in a scramble could win an event but there's no guarantee it would hold up.

Now if the scramble was set up to a minimum 30 hdcp total for each team AND every team was forced to use at least 2 drives from each player ???

Then 14 under is very good and might win.
                              Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X