Collapse

Anyone boycotting US travel

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone boycotting US travel

Good lord. I have been minimizing travel to the US for years, ever since the DHS decided that groping and total body scanning were their tools of choice. That's the Bush-bama years.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
      Why would anyone ever be stopped when leaving a country?
      I have never experienced that.
      Colleague in January was pulled aside and stripped to his underwear in a private room leaving Orlando.

Not sure what if any rationale they had.

P

Comment

Strongly suggest everyone get a NEXUS card - only one person going into US and one at Pearson - both said thank you as you hand each a piece of paper generated by the machine. No confrontation and no lineups - works at the land crossing the same. Ironic I had my first body scan in Salt Lake City on the way home through security - no NEXUS line available.

Comment

I've been pulled over coming back to Canada on the US side. However, the US border patrol were on "alert" as they had information somebody was trying to escape to Canada. Basically, there were five US guards standing in the lineup (going to Canada) looking for a suspect. They had the guard dogs, machine guns, etc. You knew something was up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilbear View Post
            Strongly suggest everyone get a NEXUS card - only one person going into US and one at Pearson - both said thank you as you hand each a piece of paper generated by the machine. No confrontation and no lineups - works at the land crossing the same. Ironic I had my first body scan in Salt Lake City on the way home through security - no NEXUS line available.
            I have one and will be travelling to the US in a few weeks for work. Not every airport is the same, in Ottawa I still have to stop at a US Customs agent where they sometimes ask me a question, sometimes not after I hand them my slip and passport/nexus. I still do the scanning machine if I get selected (no issues with this) prior to getting to customs. Coming back usually at LGA it's the same scanner. Arriving to Ottawa I can use the nexus machine and then walk past the canadian border agent and hand my slips to the agent prior to leaving the baggage area. I'll be curious to see if any of this changes.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I crossed over Lewiston Bridge at 2pm on Sat. afternoon.
              There were 4 lanes open and 3 cars in each lane
              Came back Rainbow Bridge...1 lane open and 4 cars.
              So yes I feel some people are boycotting the States!

Last edited by Sinogirl; Feb 17, 2017, 06:56 PM. Reason: error

Comment

I think it's the high exchange rate more than politics that is keeping people from visiting the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinogirl View Post
                  I crossed over Lewiston Bridge at 2pm on Sat. afternoon.
                  There were 4 lanes open and 3 cars in each lane
                  Came back Rainbow Bridge...1 lane open and 4 cars.
                  So yes I feel some people are boycotting the Sates!

We need a bigger sample size for statistical analysis. Try it again on Nov. 24 and let us know the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinogirl View Post
                    So yes I feel some people are boycotting the Sates!
                    Might be a lot of reasons. Some are boycotting, some just don't want to go (uncertain), high US exchange $$, . . .

I think it will definitely affect the US, especially the border states and the snowbird states (Florida/Arizona)
                    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Re: Anyone boycotting US travel

Whatever you do DO NOT GET INTO THE NEXXUS LINE unless you have a nexus card. My brother-in-law and I ended up in that line because the doofus in the safety vest pointed us that way. We ended up going into customs for a secondary inspection. That was travelling into the U.S Perhaps this is what happened to your friend.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                        Might be a lot of reasons. Some are boycotting, some just don't want to go (uncertain), high US exchange $$, . . .

I think it will definitely affect the US, especially the border states and the snowbird states (Florida/Arizona)
                        I agree that there are multiple factors in play, not just "the ban".

Here's an analysis of worldwide online searches for travel to America.

In the first two weeks of Trump, searches were down 17% compared to the final 2 weeks of Obama. There was a 1.8% drop in the same period a year ago, so you can probably take that off.

What they found was the drop was fairly consistent across most countries, with one notable exception: In Russia, searches had increased. BY 88%.

Not sure what that really tells you, but where there's smoke....

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...n/tw/te/bl/ed/
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                          I agree that there are multiple factors in play, not just "the ban".

Here's an analysis of worldwide online searches for travel to America.

In the first two weeks of Trump, searches were down 17% compared to the final 2 weeks of Obama. There was a 1.8% drop in the same period a year ago, so you can probably take that off.

What they found was the drop was fairly consistent across most countries, with one notable exception: In Russia, searches had increased. BY 88%.

Not sure what that really tells you, but where there's smoke....

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...n/tw/te/bl/ed/
                          That shouldn't be a surprise. If Russians think the present US regime will be more receptive to them, of course they will come.

anybody look at the Russian dating sites to se if they've received more interests, a reciprocal Welcome mat,so to speak?
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                            A friend of mine recently suggested that I was enabling the President by wintering in Alabama. This was my response to him: "... I don't feel that I'm enabling the President by wintering in Alabama. The man will continue to be President whether or not I'm here. Moreover, being here allows me to speak face to face with Americans about the political challenges they're facing. It's noteworthy that more than 50% of those who voted didn't give President Trump their seal of approval." That's my position now. It may change depending on political developments here.
                            I'm going to Auburn AL for 5 days mid-March to play Grand National. I'll try to pick up a MAGA hat while I'm there.

Donald won the popular vote in AL by 62.9% to 34.6% for the woman, so you shouldn't expect a particularly receptive audience.

The overall popular vote result is a red herring. Hillary won it by roughly 3 million votes, but she won California by 4.2 million. That means the overall results for the other 50 districts favoured Donald by over a million votes. Donald beat Hillary in 30 out of 51 electoral districts (50 states plus DC).
                            ----
                            Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Originally posted by bk51 View Post
                              I'll try to pick up a MAGA hat while I'm there.
                              Get an extra one.
                              I want to see Verm wearing it when we have our picture taken!

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                                Get an extra one.
                                I want to see Verm wearing it when we have our picture taken!
                                Already have one. Was in U.S on business and grabbed one for myself and also for this hard core, left wing, tree hugging, Trudeau worshipping, safe space, snowflake buddy I play hockey with. He had fun with it.
                                He made a video of driving over it with his 25 hp diesel VW. Then he dragged it behind said vehicle. He then had his little fluffy dog use it as an outhouse. He re-enacted the Bill Murray Master's scene from Caddyshack using the hat instead of flowers. And finally slowly dropped it into a roaring bonfire at a friends cottage while playing "Ride of the Valkyries" at full blast. So all in all a good $10 investment on my part to bring so much joy into another person's life.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X