Collapse

Picketers Blocking Traffic

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picketers Blocking Traffic

I got caught this evening in the picket lines that have been set up by the slot machine workers at Woodbine. They have decided to extend beyond blocking the access to Woodbine itself. They are now blocking all local streets that lead to the public roads around Woodbine. They only let one car through every few minutes. So if you are car ten in line, it's probably a half hour wait. As a result all roads in the Woodbine area were gridlocked as drivers avoided the streets around the venue.

I don't understand why picketers can shut down local roads. Is this legal? There's so many people impacted who are not even heading to their place of work.

It's not readily apparent to me what legal right picketers would have to stop traffic on a roadway not connected to the business premises being picketed.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I think unions should really be rethinking their picketing strategies. Preventing, delaying and otherwise inconveniencing the public from accessing facilities is not something that will curry public support. Sure it gets attention, but is it good practice?

A good example of this was the last garbage strike in Toronto, where people were delayed when trying to bring their garbage to temporary transfer sites. That eventually lead to the largely publicly accepted privatization of waste collection on the west side of Toronto.

I wondered how the LCBO union might deal with this matter if they had gone on strike, but that never got tested.

It's another matter entirely when a manufacturing plant or warehouse is on strike and the owners, managers etc. are affected, or the union is trying to prevent scab labour. These are not places the public would normally be accessing.

But when it comes to the public being affected, the withdrawal of services and an information campaign to solicit support, I think, would be more beneficial than harassing customers and getting under their skin.

My 2 cents.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Totally illegal, off to jail for them.

Comment

i'm not a big fan of unions. worked in both union and non-unions. only time you see representatives are when its time to vote.... i'm pretty sure those union heads are not there 24/7 picketing with them

Comment

Frustrating situation. A picket line cannot block access and anyone wishing to cross a picket line should be able to do so unmolested. At times, a picket line will allow vehicles to cross in certain time intervals. The law basically states that they can allow vehicles to cross "without unreasonable delay", which in my opinion is BS.

Picketers can conduct their activity at any location the public has right of access to except the traveled portion of a roadway. Picketers are now allowed onto public areas of private property such as a mall. Drivers are not allowed to force their way through a picket line. They may only proceed when it is safe to do so.

My personal opinion is that if you are on foot and CHOOSE to get into a shoving match with a car, than you should already know what the end result will be.
            "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
            --Hank Aaron

Comment

Hopefully they don't get run over..
              TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
              TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
              TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
              Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
              Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
              100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

I'll BET they will LOSE customers as well.
                Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

A number of drivers were getting out of their cars and confronting the picketers. Didn't seem to help.

Comment

I forget exactly where I heard it, but a number of people told me that roads are not just for cars and that drivers must simply anticipate, avoid or tolerate the inconvenience of an occasional road closure, even if said closure is not for maintenance, weather or an accident.
                    I wonder what those people would say about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Secam View Post
                      A number of drivers were getting out of their cars and confronting the picketers. Didn't seem to help.
                      How could a confrontation help?

its a minor inconvenience , like being slowed down by construction, an accident or bad weather...turn up the radio and have some patience. I'm always amazed at the impatience displayed on GTA roads, even had a motorcycle pass the traffic driving up the left shoulder on the 400 in stop and go traffic recently.....idiot will get himself killed.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Unfortunately for some reason, the non-striking public seems to have no rights in these things. Police will not force picketers to allow traffic through, instead just trying to make sure there is no violence (wonder if it's because they are unionized too?). And judges these days turn a blind eye to this and refuse to throw the book at the unions.
                        My Weapons of Grass Destruction:
                        Titleist TS2 10.5*
                        Titleist 917F2 15*
                        Titleist 818H1 19*
                        Titleist 716 AP2 4-P
                        Vokey SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M
                        Odyssey Black Series 3
                        Round white things with a bunch of dimples and scrapes

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                          I forget exactly where I heard it, but a number of people told me that roads are not just for cars and that drivers must simply anticipate, avoid or tolerate the inconvenience of an occasional road closure, even if said closure is not for maintenance, weather or an accident.
                          I wonder what those people would say about this?
                          Grasping at straws

Comment

If obstructing a public road (not the private access roads to Woodbine) there should be police on duty to wave traffic through and arrest anyone that interferes with traffic. But, I remember when we (authorities) allowed a Tamil group to obstruct University Ave. for days at a time and then also the Gardiner. Don't even mention the mess at Caledonia. Disgraceful.

Bring out the water cannons! Only problem with that is that we are likely obliged to buy from Bombardier and therefore they won't be delivered for years!

Comment

don't know their issue but this is a dumbass tactic of getting the public's support behind them.

honey attracts the media to your side. Shiat attracts flies only.

all they had to do is hand out bottled water to the waiting cars
                              Last edited by bl8d; Jul 19, 2017, 04:06 PM.
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X