Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TGN Poll: Minimum 5 Posts for BST Classifieds

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGN Poll: Minimum 5 Posts for BST Classifieds

A member currently requires at least 5 posts from their account in order to post items within the Buy/Sell/Trade Classifieds. I've heard many different opinions and arguments on this so I'd like to open it up for discussion. Please place your vote and/or add any comments you have on the topic.
    There should be no minimum.
    46.15%
    Leave the minimum at 5 posts.
    12.82%
    Increase the minimum number of posts.
    41.03%

The poll is expired.

Toronto Golf Nuts

Since we want encourage people to come to the site, and stick around, I say you scrap the minimum post count, at least for a while. Too many times new members with something to sell, have their post deleted, warned, then create 5 New threads that don't contribute anything meaningful.
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Agree with Big Shooter, seems best to encourage new members rather than deleting and banning.
      There seems absolutely no point in having a post count for this purpose.
      If a person's sole intention is to buy, sell or trade something here; they will most likely continue to post a load of junk stuff regardless of the specified post count.
      Some sites specify a much higher count or a nominal fee to post in the B/S/T section.
      A fee will have the effect of eliminating a lot of low cost items which might not be popular with some.
      Also photos if you want to OK, but not mandatory.

Comment

I'm with Shooter. The 5 post minimum does nothing to "vet" a new seller, so why bother with 5 meaningless posts?

If you want "good" sellers, the feedback system that used to be here was much more effective.
        Confusion will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
          I'm with Shooter. The 5 post minimum does nothing to "vet" a new seller, so why bother with 5 meaningless posts?

If you want "good" sellers, the feedback system that used to be here was much more effective.
          Recently, I think we saw a new user post three BST items, get warned, have his posts deleted, started a new (and somewhat goofy) thread along with making some meaningless posts in existing threads. And all of this was to be able to peddle a putter he won in a tournament. Even before the process ended we all knew what was happening, but rules are rules.

The fact that TGN is used at no cost to the user community, the cost/benefit of any feature has to be evaluated by those who actually pay for the site. IMO, those users who limit their activities to the B/S/T section are not unlike someone who sets up a yard sale in a public park every weekend. Are they in the way? Not really. Do they contribute anything? Not really. Do they provide a service? Perhaps, to some. Do they sometimes leave a minor mess behind them (in the form of obsolete posts)? Quite often. That said, if the costs and effort of maintaining a B/S/T section are justified, then maybe the '5-post rule' doesn't make sense because it can be met so easily.

FWIW, I would recommend either of the following two options:
          1) Replace the minimum post limit with a 7-day dormant period after user registration; or
          2) Charge a nominal fee ($1) for each B/S/T sale.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

I'm with either a higher post count or a nominal fee if you wish to bypass the higher post count. I'm also ok with waiting x number of days / months to be allowed to post... another site I'm on requires users to wait 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Agree.

is there any way to make BST posting related to membership tenure? If so make it so you have to be a member for a month Before you can post an item for sale.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I agree with the above comments that the 5 post minimum serves no purpose.

Comment

The rule wasn't enforced for a long time. I thought things ran smoother. My vote would be to scrap the 5 post minimum. It creates more work than its worth imo
                  M2 D-type 9.5 accra CS1 60
                  Ping i25 18* accra CS1 70
                  Adams Red 20* Accra CS1 HB
                  TM M2 tour 4-9 NS Pro
                  Cally X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                  Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                  100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

WRX is 75 posts or you can pay to have your add posted. I like a higher minimum cause I like dealing with people who are actually part of this community and not just first time sellers. I have a higher level of trust here vs Kijiji, etc.

If we're going to keep any minimum I'd make it higher... and also would want to see mandatory pictures.
                    Last edited by jburns; Sep 8, 2017, 01:01 PM. Reason: Cell phone keyboard is horrible!
                    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
                    Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec
                    Wood: Wishon 929 HS 21* w/ Speeder Evolution II
                    Hybrids: Adams DHY Proto 24* & 27* w/ JavlinFX
                    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 7-SW w/ UST Recoils
                    Wedges: PING Glide 58* w/ UST Recoil
                    Putter: PING Karsten TR Anser #5
                    Work done by Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

end of froth. Make posting in the BST subject to a yearly $10 membership. If somebody wants to make money, TGN might as well too.
                      agree the 5post minimum has been an irritating source of meaningless contribution.
                      Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
                      Ping i25 3w Tour65 s
                      Miz 21Fli-Hi Gblue s
                      TA 845s GDs300
                      Clev588 53,57
                      Cal i-Trax

Comment

Originally posted by Sportyluis View Post
                        I'm with either a higher post count or a nominal fee if you wish to bypass the higher post count. I'm also ok with waiting x number of days / months to be allowed to post... another site I'm on requires users to wait 6 months.
                        I like this idea.
                        Charging a small fee is a great idea. As others have said, others are making money on it, why not TGN?

Comment

I PM'ed an Administrator a few years ago regarding charging a fee to post items for sale...never received a reply. Charge $5.00 for every B/S/T post. TGN can then donate a portion of the fee, say $1.00 or $2.00 to a Junior Golf Program of their choice, multiple Charity options or a current cause that needs help financially. It's a win win option.

On a side note ***bring back the Feedback system**

Last edited by pugs; Sep 8, 2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I'd eliminate the minimum, all it does is encourage sh!tposting to meet the criteria.

As for instituting a surcharge for BST posts, that would be a sure way to kill that section of the site. There are too many free alternatives. The best you can hope for is that someone joins the site to post an ad, looks at the other forums and decides to stick around.
                            10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                            16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                            20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                            4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                            Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

No miniumum, no fee. Gras might be out of a moderator job, but I think getting rid of the post minimum would significantly de-clutter the board.

And if if I have to pay to lost something for sale, I'll pay WRX until I get my post count there up. Bumped a shaft here for 2 months fending off lowball offers - sold within 24 hrs on WRX with zero hassle.
                              M2 9.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver
                              Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15 w/Aldila Rogue Silver
                              RBZ Tour 18.5 w/Matrix Altus
                              Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
                              Vokey 46 50 54 58
                              Odyssey Works 7

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                TGN Giveaway: The FedEx Cup 2017 Fantasy
                                TrGo
                                I'm excited to announce our latest TGN Contest Giveaway for the 2017 FedEx Cup.

The winner will receive a brand new Scotty Cameron Newport Putter!!

Here are the rules:
                                Aug 21, 2017, 11:53 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X

Debug Information