NHL concussions

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL concussions

This is getting out of control!!!

Of course we have Crosby, who as we all know, was hit in the head by Steckel last year and hasn't been the same since.This hit has changed the rules of the game and forced the NHL to do something about these talented players getting concussions.

But what do you do when it's a legal hit or it's unavoidable contact with one of your own players? It's becoming obvious now that head shots, fights and cheap shots aren't the only thing causing the concussions.

The top players in the league are going down nightly with concussions and aside from Crosby, not one of the causes has been against the rules.

Jeff Skinner was hit cleanly by Sutton in open ice and is out with a concussion:

Claude Giroux, who was a leader in scoring in the NHL was recently injured after accidental contact from the knee of Wayne Simmonds:

Chris Pronger is out somehow with a concussion after taking a stick to the eye:

Mike Richards is out with a concussion after a clean hit by the Panthers Sean Bergenheim:

Just last night Milan Michalek ran into Karlsson and it's now reported that Michalek is out with a concussion.

Basically, it's looking like if you lead the league in scoring, you will end up with a concussion and this is not good for hockey at all. Sure there are reports that say that fighting is bad for the game (ie. the NY Times report on David Boogaard) and that players are out there with no respect for each other but none of these concussions I've listed are from any of that.
    Mike R.

Re: NHL concussions

ya, the Michalek one looked innocent but who knows how he is. It's a shame, he's playing great and add that to Kuba and Gonchar both being out which leaves a pretty young defensive corp.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Better equipment?

Comment

Here is my take on why we are seeing so many concussions these days:

These are just my thoughts and opinions as a fan of the game and somebody who while in University did some work on testing hockey helmets and took a few neuro- anatomy and neurophysiology courses.

1. players are bigger , stronger and faster and as such not only are the collisions greater, but the acceleration/deceleration forces of the brain moving inside the skull are likely much greater due to the increased speed in the game.

2. rule changes such as the removal of the clutch and grab and minor obstruction infractions which slowed the game down have contributed to a more open and faster game.

3. equipment is bigger and much harder.....I believe that one recent study postulated that returning to soft helmets in the NFL would reduce concussions.

4. lots of evidence and studies on cadaver brains suggests that severity of concussion symptoms is cumulative, kids who are starting contact at very young ages are getting rocked around for years, and so are NHL players who might have relatively minor bangs that over the years add up.

5. better understanding of what concussions are, what causes them ( there does not need to be contact) better diagnostics, more attention and focus on head injuries, including rule changes to give players down time in the quiet room after a head hit means that there is a much greater emphasis on identification and more caution when a concussion is suspected. They are looking for it more so thus finding it more. ( much the same has happened in the diagnosis of Autism, better understanding and knowledge means that they diagnose it more)

In the old days you got your bell rung a few times over the course of the year...and always went back to playing right away....again likely contributed to the cumulative effect.

The problem is likely going to get worse before it gets better and it is not just the NHL but NFL, MLB etc that we are seeing this in.
        Last edited by Weirfan; Dec 14, 2011, 12:52 PM.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Not enough room on the ice for these big fast guys. I've said it a million times they need to move to a bigger ice surface, the would help a lot IMO.

Very good points Weirfan as well.

Comment

It's very weird, because many of the legal hits that are taking out players are no different than was has been happening in the game for decades. Sure the game is faster today, but most of the hits causing these injuries are not from high speed contact. Obviously greater precautions are being taken now than ever before, but I get the sense that these players are truly hurt, and would be looking to sit out even if tests showed no reason for concern.

Just watched one of Cherry's old VHS tapes; a good portion of those hits in today's game would result in players missing several games to a concussion. I really don't know what to think of it; is it extra precaution, are players not as tough (you'd think not with today's physical conditioning)... what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              3. equipment is bigger and much harder
              IMO, that is the #1 reason by a huge amount.
              I like big putts and I cannot lie
              You other putters can't deny
              That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
              You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I posted while Weirfan was posting; some good points you make.

Comment

I will add another point that I forgot to add above.

Concussion symptoms are pretty much 100% something that the person with the problem has to tell you about. Outside of a brain hematoma etc, they cannot really be measured by any blood/diagnostic test.

It is purely the symptoms that are derived from self reports that determine if a player has a concussion. I believe that in years gone by when there was less awareness that players would under report these symptoms and just continue playing.

with the increased awareness of the symptoms and possible long term sequelae I believe has also come increased player reporting of the symptoms.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
                    IMO, that is the #1 reason by a huge amount.
                    Yes, here is an interesting point I just came across:
                    If you watch a classic game from the sixties or before, it's striking how hockey equipment has changed. The players look smaller, partly because they were in the era before supplements and weight training, and partly because the pads they wore beneath their sweaters—for a time, actually sweaters and not jerseys—were much thinner and often made of just leather and fabric. Today, shoulder, elbow and shin pads are made from composites and plastics that offer much more protection from flying pucks, sticks, and elbows. How hockey equipment has changed the game in this regard means that players are far less concerned for their own safety and play a wilder, faster style with harder hits. The problem with this is when certain pieces of equipment, like the helmet, have not caught up to the shoulder pads, and hits that in the past would not have happened because of the slower speed of the game now cause concussions and other serious injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                      Here is my take on why we are seeing so many concussions these days:

These are just my thoughts and opinions as a fan of the game and somebody who while in University did some work on testing hockey helmets and took a few neuro- anatomy and neurophysiology courses.

1. players are bigger , stronger and faster and as such not only are the collisions greater, but the acceleration/deceleration forces of the brain moving inside the skull are likely much greater due to the increased speed in the game.

2. rule changes such as the removal of the clutch and grab and minor obstruction infractions which slowed the game down have contributed to a more open and faster game.

3. equipment is bigger and much harder.....I believe that one recent study postulated that returning to soft helmets in the NFL would reduce concussions.

4. lots of evidence and studies on cadaver brains suggests that severity of concussion symptoms is cumulative, kids who are starting contact at very young ages are getting rocked around for years, and so are NHL players who might have relatively minor bangs that over the years add up.

5. better understanding of what concussions are, what causes them ( there does not need to be contact) better diagnostics, more attention and focus on head injuries, including rule changes to give players down time in the quiet room after a head hit means that there is a much greater emphasis on identification and more caution when a concussion is suspected. They are looking for it more so thus finding it more. ( much the same has happened in the diagnosis of Autism, better understanding and knowledge means that they diagnose it more)

In the old days you got your bell rung a few times over the course of the year...and always went back to playing right away....again likely contributed to the cumulative effect.

The problem is likely going to get worse before it gets better and it is not just the NHL but NFL, MLB etc that we are seeing this in.
                      ^^^^ The perfect storm effect?

Comment

Most of the concussion are being diagnoised days later like Letang, Skinner, Pronger... Giroux was fine the day after but has gotten worse over the last couple of days.

Philly actually has 3 guys(Pronger, Giroux, Schenn) out with concussions and we know how well Philly does with these (Lindros Gagne).

Apparently the league is putting the foam shoulder pads in place as the season goes on.
                        Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                        Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                        Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                        Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                        Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                        Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                        Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by 51Phantom View Post
                          Not enough room on the ice for these big fast guys. I've said it a million times they need to move to a bigger ice surface, the would help a lot IMO.

Very good points Weirfan as well.
                          I would agree with this. The equipment being a 2nd important factor.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                            I would agree with this. The equipment being a 2nd important factor.
                            I think speed is more of a factor than equipment. They say concussions occur when the brain (which sort of floats in the head) gets hit against the scull. A lot of these hits are result of a high speed hit. Softer equipment still won't stop the brain from hitting the scull. Maybe the need to go back to old tube skates with no support.

Comment

Originally posted by 51Phantom View Post
                              I think speed is more of a factor than equipment. They say concussions occur when the brain (which sort of floats in the head) gets hit against the scull. A lot of these hits are result of a high speed hit. Softer equipment still won't stop the brain from hitting the scull. Maybe the need to go back to old tube skates with no support.
                              The force from a hit with hard plastic will be different than the force from the same hit with foam that has some give.

I agree though that the size of the ice surface is important. Unfortunately, I don't believe the league will address that due to $$$.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X