Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

    Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
    This would be such an easy thing to do and they have established the allowable timelines and conditions, so why not simply do it ?
    it is. And it's funny that the rules are ALWAYS enforced otherwise. This one seems to be largely ignored.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

      I just wanted to add that I specifically set out to tape the golf I watch now for this reason.
      Fast forward thru commercials.
      Find a guy or girl that's got a crouch & back off then back in and back off routine I fast forward that.
      Walking around before set up I skip that too.

      I couldn't take it anymore and now I avoid reading the results and watch a 3 hour broadcast on half the time.


      You lose a bit of the build up to shots, the rhythm but less painful overall.
      I'm sure many think like me and do similar.
      PUSHING CLICGEAR 3.5
      BAG SM C-130 S...
      WEAPONS...
      1W CALLAWAY GBB or m1 2017
      5-AW AP2 714
      3W TM M2
      HYB 20 TM AEROBURNER
      HYB 24 CALLAWAY RAZR HL
      SW 55 TM ATV
      LW 60 TM ATV
      PUTTER TM Spider Tour

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

        If they are truly committed to speeding up play, putting the players on a public clock (shot clock?) and enforcing it is the only way.

        It does represent some departure from the formal rules of the game I suspect, but would do wonders for the game.

        I am confident that it would not take more than 2-3 players losing a stroke to start the whole group coming around.

        +1 to what Sharkhark said - other than the Majors, I intend to record a lot of the rounds this year vs watching live. It was a revelation last year, that hitting the +30 seconds button did not have me missing many shots...
        Still getting the hang of this game!

        In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

        Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
        Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
        Nike 23 degree hybrid
        Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
        Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
        Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

          Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
          +1 to what Sharkhark said - other than the Majors, I intend to record a lot of the rounds this year vs watching live. It was a revelation last year, that hitting the +30 seconds button did not have me missing many shots...
          I think i'll have to start doing this as well. And you're right it's funny to push the FF +30 second button and still have the same player setting up for his shot.

          As for the question that weirfan posted, I think amateur pace of play is a more multi-factorial. As much as I do think younger players are mimicking their idols on tour there may be other influences such as how tee times are spread out on a given course. This added with players playing the wrong set of tees, playing multiple balls off the tee and no marshalls to speak of all add minutes to our games.

          Ironically here we are complaining of slow pace of play on TV and the pga needs to penalize players, the same thing needs to be done on our local courses. I've been playing for 20 years now and I have yet to see a slow group in front of me being asked to pick up their golf balls and move to the next tee due to slow play....yes I know i'm a small sample size but I think most of you will agree that enforcement on our local courses is also atrocious

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

            I have no problem with JDays remarks, and I don't think pros playing slow has any effect on the pace amateurs play with. Most amateurs I've seen don't even putt anything inside 2 feet and I think that's where pros are noticeably slower than amateurs. My experience has been that the leading cause of slow play among amateurs is that they simply aren't very good at golf and take a long time and many strokes to get the ball in the hole. That and some do not seem care about the people playing behind them.

            Most amateurs have no clue what pros are thinking about when they are taking their time before a shot, so to try to play slow just because pros do it would be extremely foolish. There are probably some idiots who do it, but I don't think it is anywhere close to being the main cause of slow play.
            Titleist 915D2 10.5*
            Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
            Titleist 915H 21*
            Titleist AP1 714 4-6
            Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
            Vokey 50* 56* 62*
            Scotty Cameron A.O.P. Newport
            Bridgestone E6

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

              I meant to post in the general thread about pace of play vs this one specifically about Jason.

              They could all speed it up really.

              I can hack out a 115 round in 4 hours with 6 lost balls.

              Their talent could support a better pace, but there is no incentive it seems.
              Still getting the hang of this game!

              In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

              Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
              Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
              Nike 23 degree hybrid
              Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
              Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
              Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

                Originally posted by spinaltap View Post
                I think i'll have to start doing this as well. And you're right it's funny to push the FF +30 second button and still have the same player setting up for his shot.

                As for the question that weirfan posted, I think amateur pace of play is a more multi-factorial. As much as I do think younger players are mimicking their idols on tour there may be other influences such as how tee times are spread out on a given course. This added with players playing the wrong set of tees, playing multiple balls off the tee and no marshalls to speak of all add minutes to our games.

                Ironically here we are complaining of slow pace of play on TV and the pga needs to penalize players, the same thing needs to be done on our local courses. I've been playing for 20 years now and I have yet to see a slow group in front of me being asked to pick up their golf balls and move to the next tee due to slow play....yes I know i'm a small sample size but I think most of you will agree that enforcement on our local courses is also atrocious

                I've never tried FF'ing golf but its great for watching NFL/CFL. Data states that the ball is only in play for 11 minutes of a 60 minute football game. And often pro teams dont snap the ball until 10 seconds or less left in the 40 second play clock. So you get to fast forward through all the pre-snap uselessness, watch the play, FF through most of the play clock, same goes for commercials and most of halftime. Cuts a three hour game to an hour or less.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

                  Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                  I just wanted to add that I specifically set out to tape the golf I watch now for this reason.
                  Fast forward thru commercials.
                  Find a guy or girl that's got a crouch & back off then back in and back off routine I fast forward that.
                  Walking around before set up I skip that too.
                  I couldn't take it anymore and now I avoid reading the results and watch a 3 hour broadcast on half the time.
                  You lose a bit of the build up to shots, the rhythm but less painful overall.
                  I'm sure many think like me and do similar.
                  Definitely the way to go, I'll add that I also FF through some of the mindless talk from some commentators.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

                    Shark's comments are right on. I want to watch. I like watching the shots. I just cannot endure the whole 4 days . So I too will attempt to watch a tape. And use fast forward and not try to use this site to find out the results
                    "I never answer the phone; there maybe someone on the other end!" Fred Couples

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

                      Originally posted by bamafan1991 View Post
                      I've never tried FF'ing golf but its great for watching NFL/CFL. Data states that the ball is only in play for 11 minutes of a 60 minute football game. And often pro teams dont snap the ball until 10 seconds or less left in the 40 second play clock. So you get to fast forward through all the pre-snap uselessness, watch the play, FF through most of the play clock, same goes for commercials and most of halftime. Cuts a three hour game to an hour or less.
                      Sometimes I do like to hear the banter between plays -- particularly in the first few minutes when they're exhausting their "We spoke to Billy Bob on Friday and ..." material. Otherwise, the 30 second skip button on my PVR control suits the NFL previously. Except of course when the offense goes hurry-up.
                      WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

                      Comment

                      TGN Spotlight

                      Collapse

                      • TrGo
                        TGN Announcement: B/S/T Forums
                        TrGo
                        We have been hard at work trying to find a solution to allow the Original Poster to reply to their own posts within the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Unfortunately this is something that vBulliten themselves...
                        Jul 22, 2017, 07:31 AM
                      • TrGo
                        TGN Giveaway: The Open Championship (British Open) 2017 Fantasy
                        TrGo
                        I'm excited to introduce our latest TGN Contest Giveaway for the 2017 Open Championship (British Open).

                        Here are the rules:
                        • Reply to this thread and select one player from each of the 8
                        ...
                        Jul 17, 2017, 11:13 AM

                      OUR NEWSLETTER

                      Collapse

                      * indicates required
                      Working...
                      X