Collapse

Let's Go Mike Weir- Official thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's Go Mike Weir- Official thread

I was directly involved in a corporate event in 2003 when Weir, Adam Scott, Vijay, Fred Funk and CH3 all came to the course I worked at to play with Bell execs. Weirs demands, not requests, demands were as follows before he arrived. A paid duty officer at the front entrance in case people tried to sneak on and see him play, a list of all people who will be on the property that day, employees, golfers, maintenance staff, nobody is allowed to ask him for his autograph while he is on the property, no employees can speak to him, wanted easy pins, and a plain clothes officer walking with his group, even though it's a private course and nobody knew he was there. The other pros made many comments that he thinks he is Tiger Woods and how sad it was that we were in Canada and he refused to sign autographs, that's not an introvert that's a *****, I learned all I needed to that day, I hope he continues to embarrass himself out there and eventually retire.

Comment

Originally posted by slightdraw View Post
      I was directly involved in a corporate event in 2003 when Weir, Adam Scott, Vijay, Fred Funk and CH3 all came to the course I worked at to play with Bell execs. Weirs demands, not requests, demands were as follows before he arrived. A paid duty officer at the front entrance in case people tried to sneak on and see him play, a list of all people who will be on the property that day, employees, golfers, maintenance staff, nobody is allowed to ask him for his autograph while he is on the property, no employees can speak to him, wanted easy pins, and a plain clothes officer walking with his group, even though it's a private course and nobody knew he was there. The other pros made many comments that he thinks he is Tiger Woods and how sad it was that we were in Canada and he refused to sign autographs, that's not an introvert that's a *****, I learned all I needed to that day, I hope he continues to embarrass himself out there and eventually retire.
      WOW, that sounds bizzare. Makes you wonder if he's had some bad experiences or.... he's just like a ****
      What's In The Bag:
      Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9*
      3 Wood: Callaway Paradym 15*
      Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
      Irons: PXG 0311 Gen6 Dark 4-GW
      Wedge: PXG 0311 Forged 58*
      Putter: Scotty Detour Custom

WITB FLA:
      Same as Above

Comment

If I added my own Mike Weir encounters in here it would feel like I was piling on, so I'll refrain from that. I think he should pack it in and maybe try the Seniors' tour whenever that time comes. Rooting for him now is beyond useless.

Comment

Originally posted by slightdraw View Post
          1) I was directly involved in a corporate event in 2003 when Weir, Adam Scott, Vijay, Fred Funk and CH3 all came to the course I worked at to play with Bell execs. Weirs demands, not requests, demands were as follows before he arrived. A paid duty officer at the front entrance in case people tried to sneak on and see him play, a list of all people who will be on the property that day, employees, golfers, maintenance staff, nobody is allowed to ask him for his autograph while he is on the property, no employees can speak to him, wanted easy pins, and a plain clothes officer walking with his group, even though it's a private course and nobody knew he was there. The other pros made many comments that he thinks he is Tiger Woods

2) and how sad it was that we were in Canada and he refused to sign autographs, that's not an introvert that's a *****, I learned all I needed to that day, I hope he continues to embarrass himself out there and eventually retire.
          1) You worked at Hamilton G&CC (the 2003 Cdn Open venue) or maybe St. Georges or The National or Magna to make it easier for the Toronto based Bell execs?

2) Yes...this sums it up....Weir acting this way for his home country fans...I can only imagine how stand off he'd be playing in the US with more aggressive fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
            1) You worked at Hamilton G&CC (the 2003 Cdn Open venue) or maybe St. Georges or The National or Magna to make it easier for the Toronto based Bell execs?

2) Yes...this sums it up....Weir acting this way for his home country fans...I can only imagine how stand off he'd be playing in the US with more aggressive fans.
            I have much worse stories from 2006 at the HG+CC but that one is typical.
            In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
            Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
            PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
            TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
            Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
            TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Well if there is a positive... he treats most the same because other players and caddies view him the exact same. I've had the privilege to drive a lot of players and caddies and I asked them did I just catch mike on a few off days? the answer was always no. Its unfortunate because I really wanted to cheer for him. So many PGA tour players are beyond nice with very few bad apples.
              Most of the general public does not know what mike is like and despite how he is, he was still one of the best golfers, has grown the game tremendously in canada and given hope to those who are not long bombers. A *** or not... he has a major and and 7 other PGA tour victories.
              Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
              3W - Taylormade M4
              5 wood - Callaway X Hot
              4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
              Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
              Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
              Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                Well if there is a positive...

Most of the general public does not know what mike is like and despite how he is, he was still one of the best golfers, has grown the game tremendously in canada and given hope to those who are not long bombers. A *** or not... he has a major and and 7 other PGA tour victories.
                Best Canadian golfer of all time?
                What's In The Bag:
                Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9*
                3 Wood: Callaway Paradym 15*
                Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
                Irons: PXG 0311 Gen6 Dark 4-GW
                Wedge: PXG 0311 Forged 58*
                Putter: Scotty Detour Custom

WITB FLA:
                Same as Above

Comment

Originally posted by just123123 View Post
                  Best Canadian golfer of all time?
                  Yes, if winning money was the criteria. But I would add George Knudson and Sandra Post Marlene Stuart Streit in the mix also.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
                    Yes, if winning money was the criteria. But I would add George Knudson and Sandra Post Marlene Stuart Streit in the mix also.
                    exactly. I sure than are many names that can compete with best canadian golfer ....throw in Mr Norman. If your referring to PGA tour results I'd put Mike slightly ahead of Knudson based on a major victory. Knudson was close though.
                    3W - Taylormade M4
                    5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

Like most I was thrilled when a canuck won the Masters. But my limited experience at a couple of events where his charity was a major beneficiary didn't leave me as a fan of the person. Seems to me that his chances of a PGA win at this stage are not much better than Dave Barr's.

Comment

My Son (about 11 at the time) and 2 other juniors played 9 holes with him (I caddied for the kid) at a private function put on by Taylor Made and it was fantastic. He put on a clinic afterwards for some members and stayed and talked answered questions for hours on the lawn. Was a great day. Ive followed and supported him since he was on the Canadian tour and will continue to do so until he retires. Great story and I really dont understand why people spend so much negative energy on disliking someone they don't even know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                          My Son (about 11 at the time) and 2 other juniors played 9 holes with him (I caddied for the kid) at a private function put on by Taylor Made and it was fantastic. He put on a clinic afterwards for some members and stayed and talked answered questions for hours on the lawn. Was a great day. Ive followed and supported him since he was on the Canadian tour and will continue to do so until he retires. Great story and I really dont understand why people spend so much negative energy on disliking someone they don't even know.
                          So you encountered one really good experience and now your chastising others. It's nice you added a positive spin, but I have no idea how you know people spend "so much time" when you know them probably as well as you know Mike.

Comment

Not saying it's an issue like this, but you never know what's going on in someone's head...

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbolt View Post
                              http://www.theplayerstribune.com/cor...ark-dark-dark/

Not saying it's an issue like this, but you never know what's going on in someone's head...
                              Depression is ruthless and scary. I've spent a few years of my life confused, pondering thoughts, suffering etc. In no way possible is that an excuse to be mean to others.
                              3W - Taylormade M4
                              5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                                Mike's Stats

Driving distance 240, that's not a typo
                                Driving Accuracy 50%
                                Greens in reg , 6
                                He would be lucky to be competitive on the Champions Tour.

How does a pro get to a driving distance of 240 yards average, heck many LPGA ladies hit it further?
                                Did he have 6 too many coaches and as many swing changes who/which messed up his swing and confidence, or physical ailments to deal with, or both?

There is no denial that Mike is the most decorated Cdn Golfer with a Green Jacket and multiple wins on tour, but no excuse for being entitled, a demand to be treated like a rock star, and for being an arse around his fans.
                                Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                                I have no idea if he is or not, but as an introvert myself it's the exact behaviour I would expect.

One aspect of the Myers-Briggs concept of introversion is that crowds are exhausting - and that's not helpful for playing good golf.
                                FB and I was invited to a private gathering to meet one-on-one for a few minutes with Moe Norman and he treated us both very respectful, and Moe was not comfortable around adults.

The 'I' in Myers-Briggs stands for Introversion (inner world of ideas and images) vs. Extraversion (outer world of people and things). Don't confuse Introversion with shyness or reclusiveness, as they are not related. I know several people with Introversion tendencies per M-B personality type, and they are extraverts when dealing with teams or larger gathering of people.

Weir's problem (speculative of course) is he thinks others are beneath himself. Tough way to go through life.
                                Last edited by TourIQ; Feb 18, 2017, 11:56 PM.
                                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X