Collapse

Former Augusta head 'Hootie' Johnson passed away

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Augusta head 'Hootie' Johnson passed away

William Woodward Johnson (Hootie), the South Carolina banker who as chairman of Augusta National stood his ground against inviting female members, has passed away at 86. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug...ohnson-dies-86
    In The Ogio
    Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
    Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
    Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
    Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Just heard, rip hootie.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
      Just heard, rip hootie.
      RIP not appropriate, given his checkered background!

If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post

RIP not appropriate, given his checkered background!
        I'm sorry...what? His checkered past? As president of Augusta he is the representative of the membership, not making decisions on his own.

Is it this that you take issue with:
        "Johnson was a key figure in integrating higher education in South Carolina in 1968, getting the state to pay for an undergraduate business program at South Carolina State, which then was attended only by blacks."

Or this:
        "He later invited South Carolina State president M. Maceo Nance to serve on the board at Bankers Trust, the first black man appointed to a bank board in the state."

I could see "RIP not appropriate" if we were talking Hitler or bin Laden but the former president of Augusta?
        Last edited by Gridiron; Jul 18, 2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Hootie also opposed flying the Confederate Flag at the SC Legislature and was one of the first high profile people to do so.

Its been intimated that ANGC was getting ready to admit women members and Martha Burke set the process back by years.

Comment

R.I.P. Hootie

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post

I'm sorry...what? His checkered past? As president of Augusta he is the representative of the membership, not making decisions on his own.

Is it this that you take issue with:
              "Johnson was a key figure in integrating higher education in South Carolina in 1968, getting the state to pay for an undergraduate business program at South Carolina State, which then was attended only by blacks."

Or this:
              "He later invited South Carolina State president M. Maceo Nance to serve on the board at Bankers Trust, the first black man appointed to a bank board in the state."

I could see "RIP not appropriate" if we were talking Hitler or bin Laden but the former president of Augusta?
              Johnson was also the person who nominated Darla Moore to be one of the first two female members of the club. Even if one is determined to hold Johnson accountable for the will of the membership in 2002, the nomination of Moore by Johnson was a significant gesture.

For the life of me, I can't understand the "RIP not appropriate" and "checkered past" comments. Either the poster made the most superficial of assessments or there is a "checkered past" that I'm unaware of.

Comment

11 X 3. Perhaps he repented all of that. If so, I am not aware..
                If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X