Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rory's 300 yard drives - CBS crew stuck in a "time warp"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rory's 300 yard drives - CBS crew stuck in a "time warp"

    Time to replace the CBS crew.

    They are stuck in some kind of "golf time warp".

    On and on they gushed about "Rory's 300+ yard drives".

    They may as well have stated that he hit all his drives over 200 yards (lol, would have been as relevant).

    At this week's Canadian Am, out of the ~300 contestants, it was the exception, where any of the "kids" were LESS than 300 yards (CARRY !) (no wind).

  • #2
    Originally posted by mstram View Post
    Time to replace the CBS crew.

    They are stuck in some kind of "golf time warp".

    On and on they gushed about "Rory's 300+ yard drives".

    They may as well have stated that he hit all his drives over 200 yards (lol, would have been as relevant).

    At this week's Canadian Am, out of the ~300 contestants, it was the exception, where any of the "kids" were LESS than 300 yards (CARRY !) (no wind).
    Only 40 guys averaging 300 yards total length on the PGA tour (http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.html).
    Last edited by Gridiron; Aug 10, 2017, 07:23 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Gridiron View Post

      Only 40 guys averaging 300 yards total length on the PGA tour (http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.html).
      that's their average, usually taken on two holes in a tournament and not always with the driver. Most of the guys in the top 100 bomb it out over 300 regularly.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

      Comment


      • #4
        The number of guys hitting 3W over 300 yds is what gets me.

        I think we saw quite a few on the (nominal) 344 yd 14th. A "short, drivable" par 4.
        Confusion will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
          The number of guys hitting 3W over 300 yds is what gets me.

          I think we saw quite a few on the (nominal) 344 yd 14th. A "short, drivable" par 4.
          Rose had 289 today to the pin - hit 3 wood into the bunker. The worry was he'd hit his 3 wood over the green. And he's 39th on that list @ 300 yards per drive average.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

          Comment


          • #6
            they need to gush about his horrible iron/wedge/putter game

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mstram View Post
              Time to replace the CBS crew.

              They are stuck in some kind of "golf time warp".

              On and on they gushed about "Rory's 300+ yard drives".

              They may as well have stated that he hit all his drives over 200 yards (lol, would have been as relevant).

              At this week's Canadian Am, out of the ~300 contestants, it was the exception, where any of the "kids" were LESS than 300 yards (CARRY !) (no wind).
              I think they were "gushing" over his 365 yard drives, I was too. My son hits his ball 300+ yards and every playing partner we play with gush too. It is what it is. Unless you hit it 300+ on a regular basis, it's amazing to see.
              What's In The Bag:
              Driver: Taylormade M2 9.5*
              3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*
              Utility(s): TM Superfast 18*
              Irons: Cally Big Bertha 7-AW
              Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*
              Putter: STX Sync 4

              What's In The Bag FLA:
              Driver: Talyormade M2 9*
              3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*
              Utility(s): TM Superfast 18* Cobra 26* 32*
              Irons: Cally Big Bertha 7-AW
              Wedge: Cleveland 56* 60*
              Putter: STX Sync 4

              Comment


              • #8
                Those TV guys only remember how far they sue to hit it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                  Those TV guys only remember how far they sue to hit it.
                  Americans are so litigious.
                  WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

                    Rose had 289 today to the pin - hit 3 wood into the bunker. The worry was he'd hit his 3 wood over the green. And he's 39th on that list @ 300 yards per drive average.
                    Same hole, DJ and Day hit irons today
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm curious if the OP watched the tournament this week. Rory is 30 yards ahead of Fowler and Rahm, consistently. These are two guys who can put the ball out there and they are top PGA tour pros not Canadian amateur qualifiers. I'll be the first to admit McIlroy has been erratic with the big stick this week, but most of the time he is long AND straight. He typically gains over 3 shots a round over the field with his driving alone.
                      He needs to get his iron game sorted and the flatstick, but he is easily in the top 3 drivers of the ball in professional golf.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Agreed. Rory is an incredible driver of the ball. Not buying this tall tale about all the amateurs driving it 300yds. PGA pros are the cream of the crop and many of them don't routinely stripe it 300yds. Ricky Fowler was getting 300yds of carry and Rory was a good 30yds past him. That is crazy long.
                        Whats in the bag

                        Driver: Titliest 905R Graphite Design YS-6+ shaft R flex
                        Fairways: Sonartec NP-99 14* and 19* Aldila shafts
                        Irons: Ping S59
                        Wedges: Titliest Vokey Chrome Tour, Wilson staff
                        Putter: Odyssey 2 ball SRT
                        Ball: Probably yours
                        Shoe: Adidas Tour 360 2.0's ( Yes the ugly blue/white/orange ones)


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Justin Rose at 39th is the lowest of the 300 yard PGA golfers at just a shade over 300.
                          He should actually be 40th because none of the PGA driving stat tables include Rory because he has not had enough rounds??

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by just123123 View Post

                            I think they were "gushing" over his 365 yard drives, I was too. My son hits his ball 300+ yards and every playing partner we play with gush too. It is what it is. Unless you hit it 300+ on a regular basis, it's amazing to see.
                            365 with ~80 yards of roll.

                            I watched at least 30 guys at the CanAm this week CARRYING the ball 300+.

                            With a good breeze on #2 (10-20), they were hitting it 370-380.

                            Where do you guys think the next crop of Tour Pros are coming from ?

                            This week's (AM) tourney was basically an American Collegiate tourney.

                            As for PGA tour "averages", they're not always hitting driver.

                            I

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mstram View Post

                              365 with ~80 yards of roll.

                              I watched at least 30 guys at the CanAm this week CARRYING the ball 300+.

                              With a good breeze on #2 (10-20), they were hitting it 370-380.

                              Where do you guys think the next crop of Tour Pros are coming from ?

                              This week's (AM) tourney was basically an American Collegiate tourney.

                              As for PGA tour "averages", they're not always hitting driver.

                              I
                              He had one drive today that was less than 320 carry. Ball speed was consistently mid 180s.
                              Young guys can pound it now, agreed. That does negate that Rory is in the top echelon of touring pros, to argue otherwise is kind of silly.

                              Comment

                              TGN Spotlight

                              Collapse

                              OUR NEWSLETTER

                              Collapse

                              * indicates required
                              Working...
                              X