Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin Thistle named new CEO of Golf Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Thistle named new CEO of Golf Canada

This is a great choice.

http://www.pgaofcanada.com/news/inde...?l=0,1,26,4679

It is the PGA of Canada not Golf Canada. The PGA of Canada is the Association of Golf Professionals. It runs championships, educational programs for it's members and is one of the major contributors to the game in Canada for teaching and introducing the game to more people.

Golf Canada is the National Sports Organization for Golf in Canada. It's members are the clubs and individuals who are club members or sign up as Public Players.

The two groups work closely together but are very distinct.

The PGA of Canada could not have found a better leader than Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by ThruTheGreen View Post
      It is the PGA of Canada not Golf Canada. The PGA of Canada is the Association of Golf Professionals. It runs championships, educational programs for it's members and is one of the major contributors to the game in Canada for teaching and introducing the game to more people.

Golf Canada is the National Sports Organization for Golf in Canada. It's members are the clubs and individuals who are club members or sign up as Public Players.

The two groups work closely together but are very distinct.

Score Magazine thinks so too:

https://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-youn...e-makes-sense/

Comment

Originally posted by ThruTheGreen View Post
        Score Magazine also thinks that way too:

https://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-youn...e-makes-sense/

Comment

I posted something about ^^^ which has since disappeared.
          It had a message saying it is "UNAPPROVED'. The post had a yellowish colour all over before it disappeared.

OK that's new, so what's it all about?

I then tried a post below using Copy and Paste from the SCORE MAGAZINE article, but with the same result.
          Last edited by 4underthru9; Oct 15, 2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I had included a link to SCORE MAGAZINE, so I'll try Copy&Paste instead, let's see
            By naming Kevin Thistle its new chief executive officer (CEO) this week, the PGA of Canada has made a smart, well-intentioned decision. Not only did it hire from within but it promoted with foresight.

The non-profit organization that governs 3,700 golf professionals across Canada hand-selected Thistle, someone who has come through its ranks; has a proven facility and association track record; has a diverse skillset; and has demonstrated exemplary leadership qualities. And, goodness, he seems to know and have the respect of everyone already.

It hired a person too who has a solid grasp on the issues and challenges facing the PGA of Canada and, by extension, the game itself, also knowing how both of those things correlate because, well, they do.

Make no mistake about that.

But as glowing as this description of the new CEO is none of it amounts to much without one key intangible as he takes over one of this country’s highest golf executive positions: passion.
            Kevin Thistle has it in spades. He wears it on his sleeve. Passion by the way is not something you staple to a resume or job application. Nor should it be considered wholly genuine during the interview process. You earn a reputation for it. You show people you have a history of it, that it’s consistent whatever the circumstances.

Thistle has been bleeding the PGA of Canada colours for the 25-plus years I’ve known him. He promotes the profession, the brand and the game as proudly as anyone. It’s hard not to admire the almost kid-like, pure joy quality he displays for the business he’s in — the business of golf.

That is why this hire by the PGA of Canada is being lauded industry wide. It is why Thistle will pull up stakes from his position in Calgary’s Windmill Group — for which he was president of golf operations and vice-president of business development — and return to Ontario to take over as PGA of Canada CEO. Passion is Thistle’s first and best asset. In his new capacity it will also surely become his most reliable ally.

“You get into the business because you love to play golf or you love to teach it, but my real passion was always the business of golf,” Thistle told me in a phone conversation a few hours after the PGA of Canada announced he would fill the void left by the retired Gary Bernard. “Ever since my younger days, even going back to my assistant pro days, I was always on the board. I wanted to be. When I got to be a head pro I was on the Ontario board, then I was on the national board for Ontario. When I moved out to Alberta I was on the national board for Alberta. PGA of Canada is something I’ve loved being a part of. Some of my best friends in the world are members or aligned with the PGA of Canada somehow. I can’t even tell you how excited I am.”

“Try me,” I said.

Thistle didn’t skip a beat. In doing so, the 33-year association member made it clear that passion for the association, and for its business, is hardly his domain alone. He shared that it’s also rampant among his new constituents.

“There’s so much of it among the membership,” he added. “That’s what excites me. I want to use that. I want to corral that passion because there are members all across the country that can help this association that maybe haven’t been called on before for their ideas and opinions. I want to engage as many of them as possible.”

How will Thistle do that? First, will be a standard open-door policy with members of his PGA of Canada team at headquarters. Second, he plans to reach out to people — lots of them. By his own admission he already has, even though his first official day as CEO is not until November 10.

“I’ve already had a couple of back and forth emails with some folks I know I need to talk with,” he explained. “I’m not worried if they’re supportive of the association, they’re friends of mine. If they have problems with the association, they’re still friends of mine. I want input from all of the executive directors, all of the presidents of the zones, all of the staff. I need to hear from all of them.”

What Thistle is expecting from those conversations will help craft how the PGA of Canada will look and operate in the months and years ahead. Fortunately, he’s well grounded. Bullish as he is on the prospects of open dialogue he isn’t naďve enough to believe that everyone’s input is going to be positive or that everyone is a happy, content, association member.

“I think I already know what the good things about the PGA of Canada are,” Thistle relayed. “I don’t want them to worry about those. We can celebrate them later. I need to know what our weaknesses are. What are the issues at hand? That’s critical. And, you know this as well as I do, this is regional as much as it is national. There might be an assistant pro in Newfoundland with a different idea or problem than an executive professional in British Columbia.”

Like any organization, Thistle knows the PGA of Canada must work hard to remain relevant. It must grow to prosper and in doing so must be willing to change with the times. Standing in the way are challenges, several in fact. Adapting from traditional methods to a more innovative business structure and the devaluing of the golf professional’s position, as a budget cut, by course owners or boards of directors are only two such concerns.

“It’s one thing for me to tell you, everything is perfect with the PGA of Canada. No problems, no issues, it’s all good. But we know that’s not the truth. Nothing is ever 100 per cent. There are always issues,” Thistle said.

One the new CEO mentioned specifically is the growing trend of many assistant professionals leaving the industry to pursue other interests and careers the past few years.

TO BE CONTINUED IN NEXT POST Re: 10,000 character limit.

Comment

Tried to do it with Copy&Paste and same things happens, with the UNAPPROVED message??.
              Last edited by 4underthru9; Oct 15, 2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Great guy. Should do a great job.

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                  Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                  TrGo
                  iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                • TrGo
                  TGN To-Do List
                  TrGo
                  Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                  Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                X