Canadian Open 2010 - Worth going?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open 2010 - Worth going?

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
    I'll be there as usual on my Favourite Day: FRIDAY..."cut day"...where you get to see the Full Field GRINDING!!
    I would agree....go Friday when you have the entire field and less crowds so you can get closer to the players.

The other point about the field is that RBC has added players to its "Team" so it's very likely that they will play, including Anthony Kim, Luke Donald, Fred Couples on a sponsor exemption, and of course all the red blooded Canadian pro's and high end amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by LOFT View Post
      I would agree....go Friday when you have the entire field and less crowds so you can get closer to the players.

The other point about the field is that RBC has added players to its "Team" so it's very likely that they will play, including Anthony Kim, Luke Donald, Fred Couples on a sponsor exemption, and of course all the red blooded Canadian pro's and high end amateurs.

http://rcga.org/news_details.aspx?ID=2161
      Camillo was also there last year.... lots of great player... also a great day is the Mike Weir Classic ... which was held last year on Tuesday...
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Agreed, it is worth going to. Also worth it to see this year at St. G. A great place to set up a seat would be where you can see the tee shot on a par 4, be seated around the landing area and watch them hit wedges into the pin. As mentioned above, how easy it is to them. Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          If you have not had a chance to see the pros play them it is worth it as you get an appreciation for just how great these guys are

.....whereas these guys make 2 and 3 cappers look like 20 cappers.
          One of the best threads I have ever read on a golf board was on Golfwrx. A guy asked "if you're a scratch player why aren't you on tour". It was amazing how many "plus" golfers had stories about how they aren't close to being in the same league.

One guy was a +5 who had played on the Hogan tour. In his words, there were a hundred +5's on that tour who couldn't make a dime playing golf professionally.

otherwise, my experience in the 2 I have attended is that the Cdn Open is pretty dull.

I prefer to watch golf on the tv although I do suggest that evertbody attend at least one of the 4 major championships to witness the grandeur first hand
          Gone to the Open at Hamilton both times. Love to watch the play up close but each time I walked home to watch on TV when the coverage started.
          I like big putts and I cannot lie
          You other putters can't deny
          That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
          You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mike83 View Post
            On the assumption he loves the tournament for winning it twice
            He didn't love it enough to attend last year

Depending on what you are looking for, I generally recommend practice round, thursday, pro-am in that order. If you want to get up close and watch, get autographs, take pictures, chat with a pro, really go Tuesday. If you want to see some actual tournament action, go Thursday before the crowds. The regular pro-am isn't bad. The Monday Weir is ok but lots of kids (and women if costner is playing) chasing the players for autographs. Weekends are the worst time to go unless you are in a corporate box behind 18.....

Also hang out late in the day any day at the range - a lot quieter. You can bump into some big names there although not sure how much access the public will get this year due to the set-up.

As an aside, does anyone know which course RBC is taking the players to on Tuesday this year???

Bobby

Comment

i agree you should ATTEND
              maybe the big names arent there but there are still PLENTY of great players
              i know someone who played the NATIONWIDE tour, and he said it is unreal how good the good players are. You dont realise until you see them actually play!!!!
              he learned pretty quick that he wouldnt cut it on the BIG TOUR

and if you are new, this will be a great experience!!!

NOTE: St Georges is an OLD course and PRIVATE so getting ON or IN is not that easy
              another note I have heard is that the EGLINTON FLATS will be turned into a driving range for the PROS
              and yes driving in that neighbourhood will not be fun
              "My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to sleep at night. In between, I occupy myself as best as I can" Cary Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Dano Twoface View Post
                i agree you should ATTEND
                maybe the big names arent there but there are still PLENTY of great players
                i know someone who played the NATIONWIDE tour, and he said it is unreal how good the good players are. You dont realise until you see them actually play!!!!
                he learned pretty quick that he wouldnt cut it on the BIG TOUR

and if you are new, this will be a great experience!!!

NOTE: St Georges is an OLD course and PRIVATE so getting ON or IN is not that easy
                another note I have heard is that the EGLINTON FLATS will be turned into a driving range for the PROS
                and yes driving in that neighbourhood will not be fun
                Actually they will be using Islington (club not road)as a range for the tournament. I believe they are not even using islington's range but making a temp range to be taken away after the tournament...

Comment

We went to a Tuesday practice round last year and loved it. Very interesting to see how tour players prepare and a great chance to see them up close without huge galleries. I'd do it again this year.
                  Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby Jones View Post
                    Actually they will be using Islington (club not road)as a range for the tournament. I believe they are not even using islington's range but making a temp range to be taken away after the tournament...
                    its funny that so many still think that about eglinton flats..which would have been so cool if it happened..and if it continued..as i live near there. so many still think it is happening and didnt hear about the arrangement made with islington which saved them tons of dough by not having to make a range.

too bad though..would've loved one nearby
                    PING CAMO BAG...
                    WEAPONS...
                    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                    3W TM M2
                    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

I'll be there and volunteering as a standard bearer... This will be my 5th attending/volunteering as I always have a good time. Highly recommended...

Comment

Originally posted by Feherty Fan View Post
                        I'll be there and volunteering as a standard bearer... This will be my 5th attending/volunteering as I always have a good time. Highly recommended...
                        ...and I'll be scooping that 'extra' pass from a buddy who Marshal's every year!!
                        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Def worth attending imo. Also, wear your spikes "just in case..."

- RB.
                          ________
                          CONCEPT X6 ACTIVEHYBRID
                          Last edited by RiskyBusiness; Feb 21, 2011, 01:48 AM.

Comment

I volunteered also. My 1st pro event. Looking forward to it.
                            It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Driver: Ping G10 9º DBB63S
                            3wd: Cleveland 15º Fuji S
                            Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 VS Proto 80S
                            Irons: 5-pw Ping E1 Modus 3 S
                            Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 50º
                            Putter: TM-880

Comment

Originally posted by mike83 View Post
                              You got to be kidding right? Our national open have a OWGR similar to the Fall Series. Besides Jim Furyk, I don't think we will see any top 10 golfers here.

However, Tiger's schedule got a lot lighter in July/August. He ain't going to the AT&T National for sure, and the Buick no longer exists. But I don't think he'll play back-to-back weeks in two continents.
                              That's Tiger's Tournament the AT&T National I don't think he'll be skipping it.
                              Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                              Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                              Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                              Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                              Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                              Ping Hoofer

Comment

I've never been to St. Georges and I hear its a brilliant course so I'd love to go.

Me and my parents were 3 of about a hundred people that saw Mike Weir's early morning hole-in-one at Glen Abbey last year. It was amazing! A one bouncer right in the hole after a classic "Be right!" from Brennan Little. The camera's weren't even out yet. Heard Weirsy and Pavin talking on the way to the next hole, sharing hole in one stories. That was Mike's first ever one on tour. What an experience! It started to pour about a half dozen holes later and play was suspended for the rest of the day, but we sure got our money's worth!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X