Collapse

Michelle Wie's penalty stroke

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle Wie's penalty stroke

Did anyone see this and see her reaction to the 'unfair' rule?

Re: Michelle Wie's penalty stroke

it's a good call from the officials.
    it's her stupid decision to hit in the water to start with...

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
      Did anyone see this and see her reaction to the 'unfair' rule?
      No - care to explain it Nick and thanks
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

cost her $90K...

Comment

Questionable at best,what advantage does anyone have by grounding a club 2 ft from the ball?
          Who is her agent? She looks pretty hott

Comment

What was she even arguing for....so clearly a penalty.

One day she'll grow up.
            I like big putts and I cannot lie
            You other putters can't deny
            That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
            You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I'm embarrased for her...I can't believe that she couldn't give it up. She just kept digging herself into a hole, and instead of being mature enough to say "I screwed up"....

It's disappointing that a $20 mil a year athlete is that immature.

.....just watching the interview now....

Hey Michelle, use the word "like" a few more times....this is rediculous.

An embarrassment for the LPGA Tour, Michelle, and Stanford too...Michelle's inability to articulate her argument doesn't reflect well on the university.

I also don't think that the camera should have been in that trailer...bad move by the LPGA Tour - big time. Lots of screw ups all around.

I guess this is more motivation for me to practice so that I can get a piece of the $20 million endorsements...what an embarrasment.

just my $0.04...

Comment

If she got away without a penalty, it would have been a severe injustice to the rest of the field. In my opinion it was not even close. Michelle needs to women up and admit she was way off in disputing the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8glfr View Post
                  If she got away without a penalty, it would have been a severe injustice to the rest of the field. In my opinion it was not even close. Michelle needs to women up and admit she was way off in disputing the decision.
                  Agreed. Woman-up, that's a good one...

Comment

Michelle hit a shot from the water. There was a huge splash and the ball got out of the water but not out of the hazard. She opened her eyes from the water splash and looked down at her ball still in the hazard. Then her club hit the ground. Not once, but twice.

She claims she did it to keep her balance and claimed that the rules official could not tell what she was feeling.

Comment

First and foremost, her IMG agent 'Nicole something' is hot.

As for the ruling, there were so many instances where players were given the benefit of the doubt, not sure why they were so hard core about it. For instance, a few years ago in one of the women majors, Sophie Guftason grounded her club and the ball moved. She said she didn't even though TV footage clearly (pre HD) showed that she did. She went on to win and she was the GF of LPGA commish Ty Votaw at that time.

My question is, if her right foot was stuck in the mud, what can she use as leverage to extracate herself out of the mud other than putting the club on the ground and pull herself out?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
                        Michelle hit a shot from the water. There was a huge splash and the ball got out of the water but not out of the hazard. She opened her eyes from the water splash and looked down at her ball still in the hazard. Then her club hit the ground. Not once, but twice.

She claims she did it to keep her balance and claimed that the rules official could not tell what she was feeling.
                        Thanks Nick.
                        Anyone have a video feed on the interview?
                        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by gr8glfr View Post
                          I don't know about this. There were so many instances on the PGA Tour where the officials quized the players involved in possible rule infractions, so long as the players deny any wrong doing, they were given the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

I'm looking for video but I'm sure it will be on sportscenter at 11.

I agree, that in order to get out of the water she may have to use a club for balance, but in this instance, she dropped her club, almost in disgrace that the ball didn't advance out of the hazard.

The rule is clear and she violated it. I think its disappointing to see her reaction and her debate with the rules officials did not show well for her image.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                              I don't know about this. There were so many instances on the PGA Tour where the officials quized the players involved in possible rule infractions, so long as the players deny any wrong doing, they were given the benefit of the doubt.
                              Just because the player denies wrong doing doesn't mean they will always get the ruling in their favour.

Watching the video, it is very hard to think that Michelle was using the club to gain balance. Watching the video, her weight was clearly stable on her back foot, and her left leg was bent comfortably on the grass. She hardly had any grip pressure on her left hand, as the club was jostling about while on the ground, and her left arm was comfortably by her side.

If there is doubt in a rules violation, most often it is up to the player to call it on herself. In this case, with 3 officials watching the tape, the situation was not in doubt.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X