Collapse

phil's statement

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phil's statement

If this ain't class, I don't know what it is......

Tiger Woods does not owe me an apology, says Mickelson
    Tue Apr 6, 6:07 PM
    By Steve Keating

ADVERTISEMENT

AUGUSTA, Georgia (Reuters) - Phil Mickelson, a fierce rival of Tiger Woods throughout their careers, said the disgraced world number one did not owe him an apology for any damage his philandering might have done to the sport.

Preparing for the U.S. Masters and his first event since a stunning fall from grace amid tawdry revelations about extra-marital affairs, Woods arrived at Augusta National and immediately apologized to his fellow golfers for having dragged them into the controversy.

"He doesn't owe me an apology," said Mickelson, who has had a sometimes heated rivalry with Woods. "I don't know if there's been an individual who has capitalized more on the opportunities that he's brought to the game of golf than myself.

"He doesn't owe me a thing."

The world number three's staunch support of his great rival echoed that of other players who have thrown their backing behind Woods's return to the sport following a self-imposed exile of nearly five months.

The greatest golfer of his generation and perhaps all-time, Woods brought unprecedented attention and growth to the sport as prize money, television ratings and interest sky-rocketed.

Woods also capitalized on his charisma and success, earning a reported $100 million annually from endorsements before the scandal to become the world's first $1 billion athlete.

In the 34-year-old American's absence, there has been concern that the sport has suffered losing fans, sponsors and interest.

"In the last 12 years, he's done remarkable things for this game of golf," said Mickelson, twice a winner at Augusta National. "Everybody's benefited, everybody in this room has benefited, too.

"We've had much more notoriety, need for stories and interest by readers. Television ratings have been higher because of it.

"We can go endlessly, the things he's done for the game.

"I think we are all appreciative and I don't think this is going to have any long term, devastating effects to the game of golf."

(Editing by Justin Palmer)
    Cobra Bio-Cell+ set at 9° with VLCT Stiff
    Wishon 15° 1-Hybrid
    Cobra Baffler Rail 17° and 22° Hybrids
    5-GW Golfsmith Pro Forged Blades

Maltby oil-soaked 54° and 58° Wedges
    Cleveland Blade Putter
    Any balls I can scavenge.....

phil's statement

I am curious as to the context of D!ck Mickelson's statements.

If, while stopping for some chicken wings at the local Hooter's restaurant, he answered a few questions from Mr. Keating (author of the piece), well and good.

However, if D!ck chose to make a statement at Augusta National in relation to Eldrick's indiscretions then I think he is way out of line.
    If, on the other hand, he was responding to specific questions at Augusta National then I think both he and the person asking the questions are out of line.

The Masters is neither the time nor the place for Mickelson to be discussing this business.

It would show class to politely change the subject.
    Sorry, blade_runner, I've got to respectfully disagree with your opinion.
    Last edited by tomahawktim; Apr 8, 2010, 01:21 AM. Reason: I cann't spel so goud
    Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

Re: phil's statement

Originally posted by tomahawktim View Post
      Don't be sorry, that's your opinion and I respect it.....
      Cobra Bio-Cell+ set at 9° with VLCT Stiff
      Wishon 15° 1-Hybrid
      Cobra Baffler Rail 17° and 22° Hybrids
      5-GW Golfsmith Pro Forged Blades

Maltby oil-soaked 54° and 58° Wedges
      Cleveland Blade Putter
      Any balls I can scavenge.....

Comment

IMHO, these are well deserved shots at the media.

Tiger apologizes for the distraction he as caused. Why? Because the media has hugely reacted to private indiscretions which are moral, not legal or performance affecting. This collateral damage has certainly negatively affected golf and the the other Tour players.

Phil says no apology necessary. What? How can that be? Phil is saying "Tiger has been great for the game. You guys are the ones causing the sh**storm, not him".

Well played Phil.

Comment

I am curious as to the context of D!ck Mickelson's statements.

If, while stopping for some chicken wings at the local Hooter's restaurant, he answered a few questions from Mr. Keating (author of the piece), well and good.

However, if D!ck chose to make a statement at Augusta National in relation to Eldrick's indiscretions then I think he is way out of line.
          If, on the other hand, he was responding to specific questions at Augusta National then I think both he and the person asking the questions are out of line.

The Masters is neither the time nor the place for Mickelson to be discussing this business.

It would show class to politely change the subject.
          IMO this response lost all credibility when you called him D1ck Mickelson. Its obvious you don't like him so your post has to be taken with a grain of salt.
          Regardless of where the comments were made, good on him for saying it. What was he supposed to do? Call a press conference?
          Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
          Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
          Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
          5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
          Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
          X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
          X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
          Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
          Titleist ProV1x

Comment

Good for Phil to put the media in it's place with his comments.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by laxgolf View Post
              IMO this response lost all credibility when you called him D1ck Mickelson. Its obvious you don't like him so your post has to be taken with a grain of salt.
              Regardless of where the comments were made, good on him for saying it. What was he supposed to do? Call a press conference?
              Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              Good for Phil to put the media in it's place with his comments.
              x2

On a side note, I agreed with Weirfan -

Comment

Originally posted by laxgolf View Post
                C'mon, give Tomahawk a break, Tiger fans are in desperate need of a new defamatory nickname for Phil. They certainly can't call him Phony anymore.
                Callaway Epic Max LS
                Callaway X-Hot 15*
                Callaway Epic Speed 17*
                Cobra Tec hybrid 21*
                Cobra SS Forged (2003) 4-PW
                Cleveland RTX Zip Core 54*, 60*
                Evnroll ER5​

Comment

phil's statement

....credible enough to comment on, however.

I'm no fan of Mr. Woodlands and have always thought of Phil as D!ck.
                  Having said that, as far as the substance of Mickelson's comments go, I agree with them.

I just don't see how The Master's is an appropriate forum for Mickelson to comment.

Also, I don't see where Mickelson puts the media in its place.
                  Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

The question was asked at Phil's press conference at the Masters on April 6th. Here is the transcript from ASAP Sports:
                    Q. You said Tiger didn't owe you an apology in any way; how surprised were you by the revelations and how surprised were you by the worldwide reaction even leading up to yesterday? Do you think he's hurt the game in any way?
                    PHIL MICKELSON: Well, you've asked like four questions there, so I'm not really sure which one to answer first.
                    In the last 12 years, he's done remarkable things for this game of golf. Everybody's benefitted, everybody in this room has benefitted, too. We've had much more notoriety, need for stories and interest by readers. Television ratings have been higher because of it. We can go endlessly, the things he's done for the game. I think we are all appreciative and I don't think this is going to have any long-term, devastating effects to the game of golf, no.

The press conference is put on by Augusta National for the purpose of allowing reporters to ask golfers questions. Phil was asked the above question and he answered it to the point and presumptively honestly. He did not give a non answer or skate around the question as many athletes (or politicians,CEOs etc.) do and he gets criticized for it. Tiger got, rightfully IMHO, criticized for his attempts to control the media yet in this thread people are s***ing on Phil for doing what we say we want all athletes to do, answer the questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by hamiltonhacker View Post
                      The question was asked at Phil's press conference at the Masters on April 6th. Here is the transcript from ASAP Sports:
                      Q. You said Tiger didn't owe you an apology in any way; how surprised were you by the revelations and how surprised were you by the worldwide reaction even leading up to yesterday? Do you think he's hurt the game in any way?
                      PHIL MICKELSON: Well, you've asked like four questions there, so I'm not really sure which one to answer first.
                      In the last 12 years, he's done remarkable things for this game of golf. Everybody's benefitted, everybody in this room has benefitted, too. We've had much more notoriety, need for stories and interest by readers. Television ratings have been higher because of it. We can go endlessly, the things he's done for the game. I think we are all appreciative and I don't think this is going to have any long-term, devastating effects to the game of golf, no.

The press conference is put on by Augusta National for the purpose of allowing reporters to ask golfers questions. Phil was asked the above question and he answered it to the point and presumptively honestly. He did not give a non answer or skate around the question as many athletes (or politicians,CEOs etc.) do and he gets criticized for it. Tiger got, rightfully IMHO, criticized for his attempts to control the media yet in this thread people are s***ing on Phil for doing what we say we want all athletes to do, answer the questions asked.
                      Well said!

He answered the friggin question he was asked - very well, I might add.

As with anything, if he had of said "no comment", people would bash him for ducking the question.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                      TM SLDR 10.5*
                      TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                      TM Rescue 22*
                      4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                      Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                      Ping Ketch
                      Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                        Well said!

He answered the friggin question he was asked - very well, I might add.

As with anything, if he had of said "no comment", people would bash him for ducking the question.
                        You are right, it would appear obvious that left handed golfers are probably the nicest and most normal people in golf.
                        Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                        Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                        Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                        Ping G400 4H - 22*
                        Ping G400 5 - UW
                        Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                        Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                        Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                        Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

I am a huge Tiger Woods fan and that wont change. However, Phil Mickelson is growing on me. He speaks honestly and he takes risks on the golf course - both qualities that I admire.

Comment

Originally posted by blade_runner View Post
                            If this ain't class, I don't know what it is.........
                            I can now better understand your comments and agree.
                            Mickelson handled the situation with class.
                            An honest answer was much better than no comment at all.
                            Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

I can now better understand your comments and agree.
                              Mickelson handled the situation with class.
                              An honest answer was much better than no comment at all.
                              Just curious what you don't like about Phil, it seems people are at polar opposites with him.

People either like him or don't, not too many people on the fence with opinions on him.
                              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                              Ping G400 4H - 22*
                              Ping G400 5 - UW
                              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X