Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open The Floodgates .... True or Myth ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open The Floodgates .... True or Myth ??

You keep hearing golf commentators tout the phrase but does it ever happen?

Of course they start throwing it out there with Tim Clark's win of the 2010 Players but I suspect this might be one of the more extreme examples where it just won't happen.

The list of players they've thrown this phrase at is endless. The number of players who've gone on to win more than one tournament just don't measure up.

I'm happy to see one of the short guys bring home the hardware but don't go thinking he's a favourite at the next major for TC.

Discuss.
    Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Re: Open The Floodgates .... True or Myth ??

Originally posted by WILL View Post
    You keep hearing golf commentators tout the phrase but does it ever happen?

Of course they start throwing it out there with Tim Clark's win of the 2010 Players but I suspect this might be one of the more extreme examples where it just won't happen.

The list of players they've thrown this phrase at is endless. The number of players who've gone on to win more than one tournament just don't measure up.

I'm happy to see one of the short guys bring home the hardware but don't go thinking he's a favourite at the next major for TC.

Discuss.
    Interesting, IMO Tim has to win from the front to be considered an "A" list player, so far he has accomplished what Paul Lowery did a few years back (albeit with much better credentials). This was a great win over a great field, but without the pressure that the guys in the last few groups had!
    A buddy of mine won at Disney a few years ago shooting in the low 60's the last day to "backdoor" the victory, but if you asked him, it wasn't until he won at Ginn and Sony from the lead groups that he considered himself ready to win any tournament!
    Now, don't jump on me for trashing Clark's huge victory ('cause it was that!), but I just don't think it makes him a favorite to win a Major yet!
    Just my thoughts,
    gbr

Comment

Just look at how the flood gates have opened for past Players Championship winners like Craig Perks, Fred Funk, Stephen Ames and Adam Scott.

Comment

I'll go with the myth theory.

Don't forget Scott and Clark have won plenty before winning this one. Just the American's don't like to recongize wins else were around the world.

Does the flood gate open...nope...It just gives you confidence that you have a win. You still have to go out and do it week in and week out.

The flood gates opened for Perks alright.... it washed his game into another planet.
        TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
        Nike Vapor 3wd GD Tour AD DI-7x
        Callaway BB Alpha 815 18 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
        MP-60 3-4 w/ Project X 6.5
        MP-32 5-PW w/ Project X 6.5
        Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
        Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
        Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
          I'll go with the myth theory.

Don't forget Scott and Clark have won plenty before winning this one. Just the American's don't like to recongize wins else were around the world.

Does the flood gate open...nope...It just gives you confidence that you have a win. You still have to go out and do it week in and week out.

The flood gates opened for Perks alright.... it washed his game into another planet.
          Agree 1000% its like the PGA is the only tour that exists... Tim Clark is a very good player, and considering how straight he hits the ball and his pretty good putting, this could indeed open the flood gates.
          Ping G30/TFC
          X2Hot/Accra
          Speedline Classic 20*/V2
          G10/TFC
          CB2 6-GW/KBS
          Vokey SM4 54*, 58*/Spinners
          A011067

Comment

Originally posted by Bwadd View Post
            Agree 1000% its like the PGA is the only tour that exists... Tim Clark is a very good player, and considering how straight he hits the ball and his pretty good putting, this could indeed open the flood gates.
            Don't forget the theory that the second one is harder to win then your first one.
            TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
            Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
              Don't forget the theory that the second one is harder to win then your first one.
              Based on how well he has played on US soil I really think he will win a lot more in the coming years...
              Ping G30/TFC
              X2Hot/Accra
              Speedline Classic 20*/V2
              G10/TFC
              CB2 6-GW/KBS
              A011067

Comment

Originally posted by Bwadd View Post
                Based on how well he has played on US soil I really think he will win a lot more in the coming years...
                IMO it didn't matter if he won TPC or Colonial he was going to win in the near future and probably pick up 5-8 more over his career on US soil.
                TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
                Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

Yes, winning the players would deffinatly give him a confidence booster, and maybe some momentum for the season... but he really just had a day where everything started working for him. He had a great day at the links on the sunday, where as everyone else played "alright."
                  We know he's got the talent... he's the Tiger Slayer... but does he have the consistancy, thats what you need to be the best on tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Chriswalters0990 View Post
                    Yes, winning the players would deffinatly give him a confidence booster, and maybe some momentum for the season... but he really just had a day where everything started working for him. He had a great day at the links on the sunday, where as everyone else played "alright."
                    We know he's got the talent... he's the Tiger Slayer... but does he have the consistancy, thats what you need to be the best on tour.
                    How many great days has Tiger had when everyone just played alright... its golf and he has a very good record other than winning... he will win many more times on tour!
                    Ping G30/TFC
                    X2Hot/Accra
                    Speedline Classic 20*/V2
                    G10/TFC
                    CB2 6-GW/KBS
                    A011067

Comment

Just got word of Perks' new gig.

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
                      Just look at how the flood gates have opened for past Players Championship winners like Craig Perks, Fred Funk, Stephen Ames and Adam Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
                        I agree with all of them except Fred Funk. The man was nearly 50 when he won.

(Side note, did anyone see his quote about the Champions Tour? Talking about Couples? "i'm the other Freddy. He's boom-Boom, and I'm Poof-Poof.")

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefan75 View Post
                          I agree with all of them except Fred Funk. The man was nearly 50 when he won.

(Side note, did anyone see his quote about the Champions Tour? Talking about Couples? "i'm the other Freddy. He's boom-Boom, and I'm Poof-Poof.")
                          LMAO....that is the best "side-note" I have ever read.....

Comment

Weir's Air Canada Championship win definitely opened the flood gates.

so it definitely happens....although Weir's big Master's win basically ended his great run to 6 wins at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by focal View Post
                              Weir's Air Canada Championship win definitely opened the flood gates.

so it definitely happens....although Weir's big Master's win basically ended his great run to 6 wins at the time.
                              It works differently for everyone. My buddy won his first pro event and it took him 2 years to win again. Then you have Weir situation. The Villegas... back to back then a dry spell of a year then another win. Everyone said he'll be winning 4 or 5 times a year after the first two.
                              TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
                              Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                TGN Giveaway: The FedEx Cup 2017 Fantasy
                                TrGo
                                I'm excited to announce our latest TGN Contest Giveaway for the 2017 FedEx Cup.

The winner will receive a brand new Scotty Cameron Newport Putter!!

Here are the rules:
                                Aug 21, 2017, 11:53 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X

Debug Information