Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiger-Haney-Barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger-Haney-Barkley

The word I hear is Tiger has been concerned for sometime with Haney's commercial image, as portrayed on his TV show. Given that this might be true, here's a personal observation on this. This past winter, I was participating in an event down south and found myself on the range hitting next to Charles Barkley. He was hitting driver and smacking the ball dead straight about 280 - 300 each time with no sign of his wacky swing. I tried to engage him in conversation but he is not known to be the most personable pro athlete. However, I did speak to one of the players in his foursome and mentioned that the person I watched on the Haney show didn't jive with what I was watching on the range. He said the Haney gig was just pure fiction and that Barkley has been an excellent golfer for years. I can't imagine that any professional golfer would want to be associated with a swing coach engaged in that type of promotion.
    If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Re: Tiger-Haney-Barkley

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post
    The word I hear is Tiger has been concerned for sometime with Haney's commercial image, as portrayed on his TV show. Given that this might be true, here's a personal observation on this. This past winter, I was participating in an event down south and found myself on the range hitting next to Charles Barkley. He was hitting driver and smacking the ball dead straight about 280 - 300 each time with no sign of his wacky swing. I tried to engage him in conversation but he is not known to be the most personable pro athlete. However, I did speak to one of the players in his foursome and mentioned that the person I watched on the Haney show didn't jive with what I was watching on the range. He said the Haney gig was just pure fiction and that Barkley has been an excellent golfer for years. I can't imagine that any professional golfer would want to be associated with a swing coach engaged in that type of promotion.
    Tiger doesn't like anybody that becomes popular because of him. Butch and Fluff started to become bigger names and TW let them go. Hank now has had 3 shows and is becoming that figure even greater then Butch and Fluff IMO. Charles has always been known to stripe it on the range. He's not focused on hitting a certain shot. When he gets to the course it's another story. I don't believe he's been an excellent golfer for years.
    TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
    Nike Vapor 3wd GD Tour AD DI-7x
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 18 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
    MP-60 3-4 w/ Project X 6.5
    MP-32 5-PW w/ Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
    Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

The word I hear is Tiger has been concerned for sometime with Haney's commercial image..... I can't imagine that any professional golfer would want to be associated with a swing coach engaged in that type of promotion.
      I'm not judging - but it just doesn't seem like good timing for Tiger to drop Haney based on... morals and ethical behaviour.
      Confusion will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

This is true. I have long questioned Haney's morals and ethical values as well.

Haney advises tiger. " Bump her and Run Tiger "

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
        I'm not judging - but it just doesn't seem like good timing for Tiger to drop Haney based on... morals and ethical behaviour.

Comment

I thought it was Tiger who encouraged Hank to do the show and work with Barkley.

Comment

I agree. But Barkley's swing almost does appear as if it has been rehearsed to appear as bad as it does.
            Unless he is a big Furyk fan...cue the doublemint moment..

And here's a rare photo of Furyk's swing coach..

Comment

This is a huge rag of a website but unreliable gossip is always entertaining:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...-regard-person

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
                Tiger doesn't like anybody that becomes popular because of him. Butch and Fluff started to become bigger names and TW let them go. Hank now has had 3 shows and is becoming that figure even greater then Butch and Fluff IMO. Charles has always been known to stripe it on the range. He's not focused on hitting a certain shot. When he gets to the course it's another story. I don't believe he's been an excellent golfer for years.
                Only saw him on the range so can only comment on his swing which was very fluid and great tempo. No sign of that weird hitch he had on the show. It was a shotgun start and I wasn't close to his group but I believe his score was in the mid 80s. He didn't get that good from being on Haney's show.....
                If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
                  I don't believe he's been an excellent golfer for years.
                  He most certainly has been, and for years....! That Haney show is about as credible as Jerry Springer...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                    Exactly......at this point does it really matter who "dropped" who. Bottom line is Woods is at the lowest he has ever been BOTH as a professional and an amatuer. Not a good time to be without a swing coach. Let's keep in mind that Woods has been winning most of the tournaments he has played in since he was 8 years old.

As a kid he had his father, then he had Butch, and then Hank. In all those scenarios he was more or less the best, and the one everyone was trying to beat. Now he is chasing the other guys and has no one, no coach, no father, and no family. No matter how mentally tough you may be as an athlete no human being is capable of over coming all these obstacles alone.

Although some on this forum think that sticking pins in my Tiger doll is a day to day routine for me, I can't see how he can simply play himself out of this scenario.

IMHO......Woods #1 task at hand should be to fire his management team and start over from scratch. "Steniy" has seemingly allowed Tiger to more or less destroy his comeback, and has not done a very good job at managing his return to golf, which is his job.....to manage Tiger's career.

As for what Tiger does next in golf, it is a pretty tough question. I would highly doubt there are any teachers out there right now who would agree exclusivity with him, maybe he should forget about doing swing changes and go back and look at some footage of himself in early 2000's and just copy that swing, as that was when his swing was the most sound and consistent.

He needs to go back to basics, and forget this tweek and that tweek and just hit the shot. He has seemingly chosen to comeback to golf before dealing with his personal issues, which puts even more pressure on him. His life has been so complicated lately, that having some simplicity should be a high priority on his list. Pick a swing thought that works and try not go any deeper than that. Once he gets his personal life in order then start looking for a coach if you want.

He is trying to do everything at once and it seems obvious he can't do it. He can't comeback to the game, fix his image, go to "treatments", resolve his marriage issues all at the same time. Pick one task and complete it, then move on to the next. Problem is this could take years, not weeks or months.
                    Last edited by hogannut; May 15, 2010, 08:57 PM.
                    WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
                    Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
                    Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
                    Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
                    Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
                    Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
                    Heavy Putter A1 33"
                    " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan

Comment

Originally posted by hogannut View Post
                      Exactly......at this point does it really matter who "dropped" who. Bottom line is Woods is at the lowest he has ever been BOTH as a professional and an amatuer. Not a good time to be without a swing coach. Let's keep in mind that Woods has been winning most of the tournaments he has played in since he was 8 years old.
                      Having a coach for an extended period of time is not a bad thing. Tiger should know his own swing well
                      enough that he can play at a high level without the constant tweaking that comes with having a coach.
                      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                        Having a coach for an extended period of time is not a bad thing. Tiger should know his own swing well
                        enough that he can play at a high level without the constant tweaking that comes with having a coach.
                        I agree......maybe not necessarily to fix his swing, but just to have someone that can give him some encouragment, so he can get his confidence back.

Using hockey as an example, you hear many NHL coaches say that when the team is playing poorly that is the time that coach doesn't say to much and keeps it really simple and tries to get the players to believe in themselves again.

Sometimes the best thing a coach can do is nothing.......just show up and be there for them is enough. That is harder than it sounds when you are the coach because your first instinct is to "fix" what is broken.
                        Heavy Putter A1 33"

Comment

Originally posted by hogannut View Post
                          I would highly doubt there are any teachers out there right now who would agree exclusivity with him
                          I hope you are trying to make a joke here... if not this is just a ridiculous comment...
                          If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                            I hope you are trying to make a joke here... if not this is just a ridiculous comment...
                            Well.......we'll see who he ends up with, and how long it takes and if that instructor gives him exclusivity. Not going to get into another Tiger argument, but believe it or not this would be a tough sell to any teacher with credentials worthy of Tiger.

A golf teacher is only as good as his students results, and right now I would think most golf teachers at the PGA level would be very cautious of commiting to TIger exclusively. The media attention alone would make many of them scratch their head. Not saying the decesion would be an easy one, but will say 6 months ago those same teachers would have agreed in a New York minute to whatever Tiger's conditions were. Right now.........much tougher of a choice.

Perhaps you could explain how and why my opinion is "ridiculous".
                            Heavy Putter A1 33"

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

His comment has much merit. Given the fickle nature of Tiger and his camp added to the scrutiny of the media, the teacher would be in a giant fish bowl.

An exclusive deal could be career suicide if Tiger tanks.
                              #1 Cobra F6+ 9*, Project X LZ Handcrafted 5.0
                              2016 Cobra F6 15.5*, Matrix Red Tie Lite
                              Cobra F6 18*, Matrix Red Tie Lite
                              Cobra F6 22*, Matrix Red Tie R
                              Tour Stage X-Blade 5-PW, stock graphite S
                              Vokey 200 Series 54/10, DG S-200
                              Cobra Tour Trusty 50*, 58* DG-S200
                              Wilson Staff Infinite South Side
                              Srixon Q Star Tour ball
                              Tour Velvet Grips

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                                TrGo
                                iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X