Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian wins top US College golf award

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian wins top US College golf award

A Canadian (Nick Taylor) has won the NCAA Ben Hogan golf award. This is equivalent to NCAA football's Heisman award. Impressive!

Re: Canadian wins top US College golf award

Congrats to Nick!!

Nice to see two rising Canadian's getting the job done!!!! Now lets hope Golf Canada doesn't ship them to the wolves like the others.
    TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
    Nike Vapor 3wd GD Tour AD DI-7x
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 18 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
    MP-60 3-4 w/ Project X 6.5
    MP-32 5-PW w/ Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
    Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
      Congrats to Nick!!

Nice to see two rising Canadian's getting the job done!!!! Now lets hope Golf Canada doesn't ship them to the wolves like the others.
      Once they turn pro they're on their own. Golf Canada is supposed to be an organization made of and for the amateur.

Sink or swim as a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
        Once they turn pro they're on their own. Golf Canada is supposed to be an organization made of and for the amateur.

Sink or swim as a pro.
        I've had this discussion here before. Some agree that helping them out for a few months after they turn pro wouldn't hurt and probably improve the program as well.
        TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
        Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

I see no need for them to spend time and financial resources helping them become successful professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
            I see no need for them to spend time and financial resources helping them become successful professionally.
            I see it as that guidance still being there. Of course they would have to do what most pro's do to find money but make sure everything is in order but instead of that gaint step the programs should stick around for a bit and make the giant step several baby steps. Who was the last Canadian to come out this program and succeed?? Most are struggling on mini tours and then there's Delaet.
            TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
            Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

I don't think Golf Canada should do anything for them once they turn pro. These guys have been under Golf Canada's wing since they were juniors. Golf Canada pumps so much money into their amateur development, specifically on 20 or so players, male and female, which is something I think they do wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mdtgolf View Post
                I don't think Golf Canada should do anything for them once they turn pro. These guys have been under Golf Canada's wing since they were juniors. Golf Canada pumps so much money into their amateur development, specifically on 20 or so players, male and female, which is something I think they do wrong.
                I agree....once they turn pro, it's time for them to find their own sponsors. I don't think Nick Taylor or Matt Hill will have any problems finding sponsor money.
                Ping Rapture 7.5* Driver, Aldila VS 65-S
                Ping Rapture 14* 3 Wood, Aldila VS 85-S
                Ping Rapture 18* & 24* Hybrids, Aldila VS 80-S
                Ping S56 Irons, 5 to PW, KBS-S
                Ping Glide, 52/12*, 56/13*, 60/12*, CFS-Wedge
                Ping 36" Nome 355 Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
                Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
                Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

They should try and pair them up with current canadian pros and have them mentor them for awhile.

Comment

Even our current Canadian Pros don't receive the support they require. I ran into this guy working in a menonite furniture store over the weekend to help make ends meet...nuf said.

Comment

Congrats to Nick!!

FYI, there is no national program in the US similar to Golf Canada, we look after our amateurs far better than in the US. last year the top 2 NCAA players were Canadian, pretty impressive!
                      Once they turn Pro, I don't see how our national organization can help out! I will say that Mike Weir takes every opportunity to play practice round with young Canadians that qualify for PGA tour events. He played 2 practice rounds with Andrew Parr at the US Open at Bethpage and a couple of practice rounds with Nick Taylor at Torrey Pines.
                      i don't beleive anyone is being thrown to any wolves, they are just, all of a sudden, a small fish in a big pond!!!
                      Just my thoughts,
                      g

Comment

Originally posted by gbrgolf View Post
                        FYI, there is no national program in the US similar to Golf Canada, we look after our amateurs far better than in the US. last year the top 2 NCAA players were Canadian, pretty impressive!
                        Once they turn Pro, I don't see how our national organization can help out! I will say that Mike Weir takes every opportunity to play practice round with young Canadians that qualify for PGA tour events. He played 2 practice rounds with Andrew Parr at the US Open at Bethpage and a couple of practice rounds with Nick Taylor at Torrey Pines.
                        i don't beleive anyone is being thrown to any wolves, they are just, all of a sudden, a small fish in a big pond!!!
                        Just my thoughts,
                        g
                        One thing that doesn't hamper US young pros....sponsorships. Something that hinders Canadians. Golf Canada can still help out..... it's almost like the first first day of school....you just don't drop your kid off and say see ya later....you make sure to stick around and make sure they're okay and settled in. Cutting ties as soon as they turn pro has lead to Graham Delaet being the most successful to come out of the program but that took time...where is Richard Scott, Mark Leon, Ryan Yip, Todd Halpen, Andrew Parr???? Struggling away on the Canadian Tour and other mini tours in the states. I'm saying stick and for a few months to make sure the player is comfortable in his surroundings. IMO I see nothing wrong with that. They are a small fish in a big pond but this is where we can also help out in getting these great young Canadian talents to the top.

Weir and Ames can only do so much. Playing practice rounds is good gets them comfortable but they're not doing it on a weekly baises.
                        TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
                        Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

Good debate....civil, informed and even a touch of humour. I learned something new today.

Comment

One thing that doesn't hamper US young pros....sponsorships. Something that hinders Canadians. Golf Canada can still help out..... it's almost like the first first day of school....you just don't drop your kid off and say see ya later....you make sure to stick around and make sure they're okay and settled in. Cutting ties as soon as they turn pro has lead to Graham Delaet being the most successful to come out of the program but that took time...where is Richard Scott, Mark Leon, Ryan Yip, Todd Halpen, Andrew Parr???? Struggling away on the Canadian Tour and other mini tours in the states. I'm saying stick and for a few months to make sure the player is comfortable in his surroundings. IMO I see nothing wrong with that. They are a small fish in a big pond but this is where we can also help out in getting these great young Canadian talents to the top.

Weir and Ames can only do so much. Playing practice rounds is good gets them comfortable but they're not doing it on a weekly baises.
                            How do you propose they do that? Sponsorship is MONEY. As it is, some of us complain when Golf Canada charged us $35 to be part of their Public Player program. These players need at least $50,000 a year to play Full time on the Canadian Tour - money for basic needs, travel, accomadation etc.
                            I know one young pro who got his Canadian Tour card last fall. When he turned pro in 2008, his home club raised $40,000 for him. This year, he is looking for more money.
                            Last edited by trunckslammer1; May 27, 2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

how about GOLF Canada sell SHARES on the public market to raise funds.

instead of every player privately arranging financing or donations from their friends/family/home club, they can go to Golf Canada.

any player agreeing to financing/donations, will pay back into the fund a percentage of future earnings for LIFE....investors would have steady (hopefully) return on investment if a few players make it.

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                                TrGo
                                iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X