Collapse

Matt Hill Turning Pro

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Hill Turning Pro

Reigning NCAA golf champion Matt Hill is turning pro, forgoing the 2010 championship this week and his final year at North Carolina State.

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Reigning NCAA golf champion Matt Hill is turning pro, skipping his final year at North Carolina State after missing a chance to defend his title.
    Hill announced on Monday that he will make his pro debut this week at the PGA Tour's Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village in Ohio.
    The 21-year-old Hill was one of the top-ranked amateurs in the world last year. He won seven college tournaments besides the NCAA championship to earn the Haskins Award as outstanding college golfer. This year the junior failed to advance out of the East Regional.
    He competed in three PGA Tour events as an amateur last summer, making the cut at the AT&T Classic and finishing tied for 70th.
    Hill, who signed with IMG, felt his game was ready last year, "but now I'm finally ready for that lifestyle."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
    Member Whitecourt Golf & Country Club

"I don't ever get to play Tiger,"
    "So I don't give a damn about Tiger."
    Tom Watson.

I wonder what Moe would say...

Anybody but Tiger.

Re: Matt Hill Turning Pro

Another story about Matt..... I'm liking the kids attitude...

Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
    Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
    Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
    Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
    Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
    Ping Hoofer

Comment

I hope the reason for hit fall on the world amateur golf rankings are due to his increased practice and not his lowered golf game. He was 7th in the amateur rankings in January but now is 54.

Nick Taylor on the other hand has stayed top ten throughout and the Eugene Wong, another member of the Team Canada Men's team has risen this year from somewhere around 140th to now 20th.

Best of luck but I am still a little apprehensive.
      -Kyle

In da Cleveland E-9
      Cleveland XLS Monster 10.5*/Nike Dymo2 5 wd/Cleveland HiBore XLS 3Hyb
      Cleveland CG7 Tours 4-PW/Cleveland CG12 50/54/Cleveland 588 DSG RTG+ 60
      Seemore FGP

BST Pics:
      http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss198/tk1360/

Comment

I saw or heard some features of this kid and Nick Taylor last Summer when they lighted up the amateur circuit.

Nick reminds me a lot of the stoic and polished Americans (some would say boring) like Sean O'Hair while Matt seems a bit more of a extrovert and a character.

Nevertheless, I hope both succeed in the pro circuit and give us a reason to cheer every weekend in the near future.

For Hill to get sponsor exemptions into top-tier events like The Memorial and AT&T National shows that he is highly-regarded by the people in the PGA Tour.

Comment

won't name my sources, but this confirms Bellyhungry's comments about Nick Taylor

"I played with him last summer before I knew he was Nick the Great. He's kinda quiet, but really nice. Hope he qualifies for the US Open again. I thought about giving him a call after he won the Hogan award, but he's kinda shy. Tough to get a good quote outta him. Seriously, it's like pulling teeth "

I wish them both the best in their career. It'd be nice to have two new Canadians to cheer for. the Australians and South African development programs have been putting Golf Canada's systems to shame for developing top talent.

Comment

Not a bad start to pro career - even par front

Comment

Another good take by RT:

Comment

Tough finish in the first round. 2 bogeys over the last 3 holes, one was a three putt.

Even par isn't a bad place to be though. He'll be out early in the morning and hopefully will see some favourable conditions.

Comment

Matt Hill made the cut at Reno Tahoe.

Could it be his first make cut at a PGA Tour event?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X