Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Weir's game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Weir's game

with the young players coming up the ranks quickly, the top 30 is definitely changing fast.

past champions and formerly great players are all scrambling today to qualify for the US Open.

This leaves Mike Weir sitting comfortably at home nursing a bad Memorial, but happy to have had a solid showing in the 2009 US Open to pre-qualify.

Is this the last year Mike Weir has a pre-stamped golden ticket to the US Open? Actually all his automatic majors entry (except the Masters) is in jeopardy in 2011 onward if he doesn't pick it up soon.

Re: Mike Weir's game

I think Weir can have a strong finish to this years US Open and qualify via this year for next. Weir always plays well at Pebble plus this US Open isn't going to be the longest so he has a chance.
    TM M1 10.5 Tensi 70 -X
    Nike Vapor 3wd GD Tour AD DI-7x
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 18 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
    MP-60 3-4 w/ Project X 6.5
    MP-32 5-PW w/ Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
    Sun Mountain 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
      I think Weir can have a strong finish to this years US Open and qualify via this year for next. Weir always plays well at Pebble plus this US Open isn't going to be the longest so he has a chance.
      I do hope so...been cheering for him, well before the Air Canada championship.

I think his quote last week about the state of his game isn't a a good sign of things....even his architect partner has blogged about it.

http://www.weirgolfdesign.com/index....id=8&Itemid=20

play well Mike and prove me wrong
      Last edited by focal; Jun 7, 2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by focal View Post
        with the young players coming up the ranks quickly, the top 30 is definitely changing fast.
        Mike has no clue 'how to improve' his game and is now ranked 67th on the OWGR and dropping like a rock in the water.
        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
          Mike has no clue 'how to improve' his game and is now ranked 67th on the OWGR and dropping like a rock in the water.
          Keeping it analytical. His sand game and putting is solid. Means he is scrambling. Given his relative short distance off the tee he should focus on acuracy instead of gaining a few extra yards. Furyk has a similar length but way more consistency off the tee.

Comment

And let me guess?

YOU know how to improve his game...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
            TM SLDR 10.5*
            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
            TM Rescue 22*
            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
            Ping Ketch
            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Mike's overhauled his swing two or three times in recent years. First, he switched to Stack and Tilt. Then he modified his Stack and Tilt approach by going with a more conventional swing with his longer clubs. Then he abandoned Stack and Tilt altogether and returned to his previous coach.

Those are pretty dramatic changes for any golfer, and you have to expect a period of adjustment. The question is whether he's past the age where he can realistically expect to improve his game dramatically. Mike's one of those golfers who had a great few years, and once he got past those great years it was a matter of maintaining a certain level of play for as long as possible.

He'll never be the player his was seven or eight year ago. Can he even be top-30 again? He's not ancient, by any means, but he may be one of the legion of golfers who hits their late-30s and becomes nothing more than ordinary.

Of course, one hopes that he's a Vijay or Kenny Perry and has a rebirth in his 40s.

Comment

I'd love to hear the explanation to this??

Comment

Couples during one of his Playing with the Pros talked about length and always having length....it's hard to increase length over your career...good swing speed is a good trait to have from the beginning.

if you look at the newest crop of stud players, they are all 5'9" and definitely under 6 feet. These are all around Weir's stature, but their stats for distance all exceed Weir's. I'm not saying Weir needs distance but he is at a disadvantage.

he needs accuracy off the tee (almost dead last in rank)....the rest of his game is very solid...everyone has good and bad putting days, and he's #1 or in the top few for putting stats....that means he's making a lot of up and downs. Furyk is top 10 in accuracy off the tee...distance is worse than weirs. solid putting stats also. Hence he's at the top of the standings (fedex, money and WGR)

we all talk about amateurs needing to focus on your strengths...maybe Weir tinkered one too many times....Didn't a few other top pro's also have this issue over their careers, seeing a new young stud come out and outdrive them...sending them to forsake the game that got them there.

Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
                  Mike's overhauled his swing two or three times in recent years. First, he switched to Stack and Tilt. Then he modified his Stack and Tilt approach by going with a more conventional swing with his longer clubs. Then he abandoned Stack and Tilt altogether and returned to his previous coach.

Those are pretty dramatic changes for any golfer, and you have to expect a period of adjustment. The question is whether he's past the age where he can realistically expect to improve his game dramatically. Mike's one of those golfers who had a great few years, and once he got past those great years it was a matter of maintaining a certain level of play for as long as possible.

He'll never be the player his was seven or eight year ago. Can he even be top-30 again? He's not ancient, by any means, but he may be one of the legion of golfers who hits their late-30s and becomes nothing more than ordinary.

Of course, one hopes that he's a Vijay or Kenny Perry and has a rebirth in his 40s.

Comment

Originally posted by focal View Post
                    Given his relative short distance off the tee he should focus on accuracy instead of gaining a few extra yards.
                    There is no reason why Mike has to suboptimize his performance going foward, so based on the right game plan, he could focus and deliver on both distance and accuracy. Why limit improvement to one area only?

Just because he is short off the tee does not mean distance is now off limits from an improvement standpoint. I'm not suggesting Mike will be a 'young gun stud bomber' off the tee, but there is room to make a meaningful rate of improvement to his driving distance. In fact, since he is short off the tee it might be the easiest aspect to improve, without a loss of dispersion / accuracy.

Its funny how being longer and straighter off the tee makes for easier shots into the green, as it takes stress off the game and increases confidence while playing

Mike changing swings from one year to the next multiple times tells me 'he has no clue on how to improve.' Over the last few years, Mike's recipe for change is not producing results based on the effort expended.
                    Last edited by TourIQ; Jun 8, 2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Mike Weir's game

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                      And let me guess? YOU know how to improve his game...
                      I stated earlier that Mike has no clue 'how to improve' his game - if he did, we wouldn't be having this discussion. As an accomplished tour player, Mike has unlimited resources, but what he lacks is a method to garnish a reduction of stroke average.

As a matter of fact Lefty I've known for years how to improve his game, and so does forgedblade. The model for improvement and eventual player optimization is titled “Schiestel HOUSE™”. As a note of caution, don’t interpret this as just clubmaking, as this aspect is only a small part of what we have formulated within our overall approach. You might remember, I was the guy who stated on this forum 3 years ago, that if I worked with Mike I could increase his driving distance by 10 yards with no loss of accuracy, provided “nothing was off limits”, to include cause factors which prevents Mike from reaching “true player optimization.”

Originally posted by gbrgolf View Post
                      I'd love to hear the explanation to this??
                      Gawain you are more than welcome to venture to Wingham, ON to review first hand, our 100+ page portfolio which ‘fb’, Dwight, and I developed over the years regarding Elite Player Development. Most of our research has never been thrown into the public domain. In 2008, our submission titled “Decoding Golf’s DNA” won a Commendation for the Most Original Application of Lean Six Sigma, from The Global Six Sigma and Business Improvement Awards. Not bad for a father and sons team with very limited resources, competing on the global stage against multi-billion dollar companies.
                      Last edited by TourIQ; Jun 9, 2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

that if I worked with Mike I could increase his driving distance by 10 yards with no loss of accuracy, provided “nothing was off limits”, .
                        A few good doses of HGH and a 'roid cocktail. That should do it!
                        WITB:
                        Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
                        3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
                        2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
                        4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
                        56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
                        60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
                        Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

I stated earlier that Mike has no clue 'how to improve' his game - if he did, we wouldn't be having his discussion. As an accomplished tour player, Mike has unlimited resources, but what he lacks is a method to garnish a reduction of stroke average.

As a matter of fact Lefty I've known for years how to improve his game, and so does forgedblade. The model for improvement and eventual player optimization is titled “Schiestel HOUSE™”. As a note of caution, don’t interpret this as just clubmaking, as this aspect is only a small part of what we have formulated within our overall approach. You might remember, I was the guy who stated on this forum 3 years ago, that if I worked with Mike I could increase his driving distance by 10 yards with no loss of accuracy, provided “nothing was off limits”, to include cause factors which prevents Mike from reaching “true player optimization.”

Gawain you are more than welcome to venture to Wingham, ON to review first hand, our 100+ page portfolio which ‘fb’, Dwight, and I developed over the years regarding Elite Player Development. Most of our research has never been thrown into the public domain. In 2008, our submission titled “Decoding Golf’s DNA” won a Commendation for the Most Original Application of Lean Six Sigma, from The Global Six Sigma and Business Improvement Awards. Not bad for a father and sons team with very limited resources, competing on the global stage against multi-billion dollar companies.

AGAIN, if your "methodology gobbledegook" had any basis in fact then you would have PGA Tour pros knocking down your door to listen to what you have to say.

List the PGA Tour pros that have followed your theories, and that's all they are is theories, and prove me wrong.

If your theories are so rock solid, why isn't your son the number 1 player in the world???

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                          TM SLDR 10.5*
                          TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                          TM Rescue 22*
                          4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                          Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                          Ping Ketch
                          Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Isn't around the same time that he moved to the U.S. that his game fell apart?

Comment

Originally posted by setter02 View Post
                              Isn't around the same time that he moved to the U.S. that his game fell apart?
                              Mike has lived in Utah longer than most Canadians realize

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                TGN Giveaway: The FedEx Cup 2017 Fantasy
                                TrGo
                                I'm excited to announce our latest TGN Contest Giveaway for the 2017 FedEx Cup.

The winner will receive a brand new Scotty Cameron Newport Putter!!

Here are the rules:
                                Aug 21, 2017, 11:53 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X