No announcement yet.
Collapse

How is Justin Rose not in the US Open?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Justin Rose not in the US Open?

I thought if you won a PGA tour event, it meant you could enter any PGA tour event for 2 years? 5 years if you won a major.

Seems silly that a guy like Justin Rose who's been a world class player for 13 years playing the best golf of his life, finally winning a strong PGA tour event, isn't in the tournament, while local qualifiers made it over him.

Major champions Tom Lehman, Davis Love III and Ben Curtis all made the field on Monday for the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. Two youngsters who beat all three a day earlier at the Memorial Tournament -- Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler -- did not.

Re: How is Justin Rose not in the US Open?

Q. How is Justin Rose not in the US Open?

A. He didn't play well in the 36 hole qualifier
    Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by WILL View Post
      Q. How is Justin Rose not in the US Open?

A. He didn't play well in the 36 hole qualifier
      I understand that i read the article. I guess I'm asking why someone who wins a PGA tour event, isn't automatically in all the majors and any tourney he wishes to enter. Common sense to me

Comment

Agreed but they cut off the auto-entry-with-a-win the week before Jack's tourny. Dumb, but they set it up that way.
        Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Agreed but they cut off the auto-entry-with-a-win the week before Jack's tourny. Dumb, but they set it up that way.
          I think its because the number of spots have been set for the qualifiers during the week of the tournament. I still think they should set aside a spot for the winner and give that spot to the first alternate if the winner had already qualified by other means.

Comment

Comment

So I guess he has already qualified for next year?
              My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

While I can appreciate the qualifiying requirements, it just seems odd that the 32 and 33 ranked players in the world not making it to the US Open in a field of over 140 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                  While I can appreciate the qualifiying requirements, it just seems odd that the 32 and 33 ranked players in the world not making it to the US Open in a field of over 140 people.
                  x2 - seems wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                    Gotta draw the line at some point. Plus, Rose was was t-71, cut, t-43and t14 his previous 4 tournaments. Hardly awe inspiring. He wasn't #32 when he needed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by callawayguy View Post
                      I thought if you won a PGA tour event, it meant you could enter any PGA tour event for 2 years? 5 years if you won a major.

Seems silly that a guy like Justin Rose who's been a world class player for 13 years playing the best golf of his life, finally winning a strong PGA tour event, isn't in the tournament, while local qualifiers made it over him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/usope...ory?id=5262514
                      The 4 majors are not PGA Tour events. The Masters recently went back to including Tour event winners within a certain time frame, but they are under no obligation. They can set their qualification process how they wish. The PGA Tour gives exemptions based on winning a major, but the majors do not have to say just because a guy won in Quad Cities he's automatically in. Especially when they said their deadline was the previous week.

Comment

The US Open is a USGA event so they do not comply with the PGA exemption rules.

Qualifying was for about 80 spots, so only 70 players in the world received an exemption.

Comment

not many people realize the pga tour does not hold any majors< their big events are the players and the ryder cup

Comment

New rules for U.S. Open exemptions

NEW YORK - Prompted by the notable absences of Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler from last year’s U.S. Open, organisers have changed the event’s exemption criteria to reflect world rankings more than money list position.
                            For this year’s U.S. Open, players will have two opportunities to make the world’s top 50 and thereby gain full exemption for the second major of the season, the United States Golf Association (USGA) said on Saturday.
                            From 2012 onwards, exemptions based on money lists from the PGA Tour, European Tour and other professional tours around the world will be eliminated.
                            “Our mission is to always provide the most competitive fields for our national championships,” Thomas O’Toole, the USGA’s chairman of the championship committee said in a statement.
                            “We regularly review our exemption categories and believe the changes we will implement in 2011 and 2012 will lead to stronger fields and more exciting championships.”
                            For the June 16-19 U.S. Open at Congressional, O’Toole said the world’s top 50 as of June 13, 2011 would be fully exempt, as would the top 50 on May 23, 2011.
                            “This change was in direct response to the unfortunate situation that has occurred in the past where a few of the top 50 players missed playing in the Open due to the timing cutoff required for sectional qualifying,” O’Toole said.
                            “For instance, last year both Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler were victims of this scenario.”
                            MAIDEN TITLE
                            Britain’s Rose won his maiden PGA Tour title at the Memorial tournament in Dublin, Ohio, where American Fowler finished second but they each climbed into the world’s top 50 two weeks after the U.S. Open cutoff.
                            Rose was arguably the hottest player in the game at the time as he went on to blow a three-shot lead in the final round of the Travelers Championship before winning the AT&T National title in his next two PGA Tour starts.
                            For the last decade, U.S. Open exemptions have been automatic for players finishing in the top 30 on the PGA Tour money list and in the top 15 on the European Tour money list.
                            Also exempt were players finishing in the top two on the money lists in Australasia and Japan, as long as they were ranked in the world’s top 75.
                            For the 2012 U.S. Open, these exemption categories will be scrapped in favour of world rankings.
                            “Trying to evaluate the strength of one tour against another has become increasingly difficult for the USGA as the game has grown globally,” USGA senior director of rules and competitions Mike Davis said.
                            “Utilising the official world golf ranking will eliminate this subjective task that the USGA annually faced.”

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X