Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

    The giant headline on the cover of today's Toronto Sun says "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

    Wow

    I am one of the first people to take shots at the Weir apologists who feel he should never be criticized for anything...............but in my opinion the Sun went a bit too far today in an attempt to sell newspapers

  • #2
    Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

    That's a bit much, I'm harsh on Mike but saying something in Convo and calling out a Great Canadian on the front page of a tabloid masquerading as a newspaper is a little different.

    It is about time some of the media started questioning Mike, but that is going way over and above realistic in my opinion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

      Leave it to the Sun to do something ridiculous and harsh like that. Cripes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

        The Sun is a reprehensible paper. They don't have a large readership (dead last in Toronto), so they try to shout at people with their front page. It's the only part of their crummy paper that gets read.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

          That and the sunshine girl....which I do not understand at all...

          In the internet era where porn is literally throw at us...what skeezies wait for that crappy picture of some not very attractive girl in jean shorts?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

            Weir is 118 on the money list and sinking fast and he could easily lose his card.

            I think it is a very legitimate question.

            The title is not, Mike Weir Is Washed Up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

              Originally posted by par72 View Post
              That's a bit much, I'm harsh on Mike but saying something in Convo and calling out a Great Canadian on the front page of a tabloid masquerading as a newspaper is a little different.

              It is about time some of the media started questioning Mike, but that is going way over and above realistic in my opinion.
              "I feel like I'm close..." HA
              "Nice to see someone other than Rubinstein still drinking weirsy's cool-aid"
              "in his prime when he was as good an iron striker as anyone, he was a headcase and couldn't win from the lead"

              Given what you said in the other Weir thread (above), I'm surprised you find the Sun's headline harsh. "drinking weirsy's cool-aid"? You're implying that Weir is being dishonest or deceitful in some way.

              For sure he has peaked and his best years are past - but I don't get why some people take this as a personal insult. He is what he is.

              From what I see, he's the best Canadian golfer in our history - with 3 wins in one season, a major to his name, number 11 in career earnings. And was 5th and 6th in his two best years in an era where 1st place wasn't available to mortals...

              Regardless, the Sun is awful in every way.
              Confusion will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                Originally posted by froghammer View Post
                Leave it to the Sun to do something ridiculous and harsh like that. Cripes.
                Agreed, not surprised.
                Callaway Hyper X Driver
                Ben Hogan Edge CFT Irons
                Ben Hogan Colonial Wedges
                Callaway Diablo Hybrid
                Ben Hogan Big Ben C455 Fairway Woods
                Odyssey White Hot XG SRT 2-Ball Putter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                  Yea...he still says he is at that point or close. If you believe that you are crazy.

                  That does not diminish that he is the only Canadian to ever win a major. I take issue with Mike Weir's lack of responsibility for his diminishing game then I do take issue with it. He was a really great player there for a few years, now he is not. He has done more to grow the game in Canada than anyone, but he has also taken alot back from it and possibly could have made more of his talent had he not been focusing so much on other ventures.

                  That being said in the history of the PGA tour he will go down as a very average player and one of the one major wonders.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                    Originally posted by CUBSFAN View Post
                    Agreed, not surprised.
                    Us hogan iron guys think alike. Haha.

                    "The Toronto Sun. Keeping it classy at a grade 3 reading level since 1971"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                      Originally posted by Malibook View Post
                      Weir is 118 on the money list and sinking fast and he could easily lose his card.

                      I think it is a very legitimate question.
                      It's a legitimate question in the context of an article about Weir or the Canadian Open.

                      It's an a-hole question for the front page of a newspaper. The Sun doesn't pose the question on the front page because they think it's the most important news item of the day. They do it because they lack integrity.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                        +1 on this. But then again Journalistic integrity is not the sun's forte.

                        Weir just chipped in for Eagle on 9 to go back to even par after an uninspiring front....excellent chip from pin high short side though.


                        Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
                        It's a legitimate question in the context of an article about Weir or the Canadian Open.

                        It's an a-hole question for the front page of a newspaper. The Sun doesn't pose the question on the front page because they think it's the most important news item of the day. They do it because they lack integrity.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                          Originally posted by froghammer View Post
                          Us hogan iron guys think alike. Haha.

                          "The Toronto Sun. Keeping it classy at a grade 3 reading level since 1971"
                          LOL
                          Callaway Hyper X Driver
                          Ben Hogan Edge CFT Irons
                          Ben Hogan Colonial Wedges
                          Callaway Diablo Hybrid
                          Ben Hogan Big Ben C455 Fairway Woods
                          Odyssey White Hot XG SRT 2-Ball Putter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                            Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
                            It's a legitimate question in the context of an article about Weir or the Canadian Open.

                            It's an a-hole question for the front page of a newspaper. The Sun doesn't pose the question on the front page because they think it's the most important news item of the day. They do it because they lack integrity.
                            That's it exactly. I think you've nailed what we're all thinking but can't put into words quite like you did.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

                              What other "ventures?" I call BS on this because I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.

                              Originally posted by par72 View Post
                              Yea...he still says he is at that point or close. If you believe that you are crazy.

                              That does not diminish that he is the only Canadian to ever win a major. I take issue with Mike Weir's lack of responsibility for his diminishing game then I do take issue with it. He was a really great player there for a few years, now he is not. He has done more to grow the game in Canada than anyone, but he has also taken alot back from it and possibly could have made more of his talent had he not been focusing so much on other ventures.

                              That being said in the history of the PGA tour he will go down as a very average player and one of the one major wonders.
                              Golf blog: canadiangolfer.com/g4g

                              Comment

                              TGN Spotlight

                              Collapse

                              • TrGo
                                Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                                TrGo
                                iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

                                ...
                                Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

                              Join The TGN Email List

                              Collapse


                              TGN Sponsors




                              TGN Sponsors

                              Working...
                              X