Collapse

Canadian Open ...yawn

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open ...yawn

I love golf and I enjoy watching the pro's go at it BUT I feel that the field was lacking real star power.

I don't go out to "support" the pro's. they don't do jack for me when they win. I go to enjoy the competition AND see the TOP players in the game.

The logistics of the day have to be taken into consideration before I will actaully attend.

What is the distance I have to travel? Can I park on site or do I have to take a shuttle?
    What is the price of admission? Who is in the field? What's the weather like?

If we just look at the money side you can see that the day quickly adds up.
    I think $80 for a single day admission is stupid expensive. What did food and drink cost inside the gates? Probably too much. How much was parking? Im not spending that kind of money to watch 2 guys well outside the top 100 in the world.

Comment

I was there for 4 days, I managed to go first thing in the morning and then catch the evening golfers coming in on the work days and spent the whole days there on Saturday and Sunday. The quality of golf was anything but boring. When you see these guys throw darts at the pin from 130 yards on #6 it is mind boggling.

I suspect the big name golfers avoid tracks like this because it is not a bombers course and for all of the other scheduling related issues. The drive on 11 was unbelievable. The fairway they were hitting into was less than 30 yards wide. Could you imagine Phil at St Georges? He would have sore wrists from playing out of the rough all day.

I watched Chopra hit some amazing shots on Friday including draining a third shot from a bunker on 16 for par after chunking his drive and second shot.

Watching Kevn Na chip in at 15 was unbelievable, the excitement in the air was palpable when players were hitting there approaches. Seeing Barnes stripe the ball consistently over 300, watching Tim Clark nail 240 yard approaches within 15 feet. Peterson's charge birdying 6 out of 8 holes coming in boring???? Give your head a shake. Get off the couch and get to the course and there is no way you could call it anything but exciting.

If we as 'golf nuts' aren't in support of are own open what chance do we have of generating support from the general public?

Comment

Once again, no one is saying the players who where there can't play great golf but they are NOT the stars of the tour. I want to see the stars, not the guys who fill out the field.

Comment

While it would be great to see the top names in golf at the Canadian Open, it probably isn't going to happen, unless the date is permanently changed.

However, if you appreciate exceptional shot-making, you got it, even with the "lesser" lights. All of these guys are good, and no matter which ones show up, you are guaranteed that at least a few of them will make remarkable shots and put up very good scores. You're also guaranteed that virtually every player will have a spectacular swing. This year, you were guaranteed to see a beautiful, classic golf course - as lush and green as I have ever seen it.

Who cares if it is Pettersson and not Mickelson that shoots 60! During every tournament, any player on tour is capable of winning (except Mikey - KIDDING)!

Finally, it can hardly be a "yawn" when the winner outscores his opponent by 7 shots in the last 11 holes!
          Driver: Ping 10*
          Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
          Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
          Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
          Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
          Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
          Bag: Ogio Ultra light
          Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley01 View Post
            While it would be great to see the top names in golf at the Canadian Open, it probably isn't going to happen, unless the date is permanently changed.

However, if you appreciate exceptional shot-making, you got it, even with the "lesser" lights. All of these guys are good, and no matter which ones show up, you are guaranteed that at least a few of them will make remarkable shots and put up very good scores. You're also guaranteed that virtually every player will have a spectacular swing. This year, you were guaranteed to see a beautiful, classic golf course - as lush and green as I have ever seen it.

Who cares if it is Pettersson and not Mickelson that shoots 60! During every tournament, any player on tour is capable of winning (except Mikey - KIDDING)!

Finally, it can hardly be a "yawn" when the winner outscores his opponent by 7 shots in the last 11 holes!
            Absolutely, it was spectacular to watch.

Comment

Always fun to watch pros hit good shots at any level. I can tell you guys though I had a way better time at the LPGA last year then I did the PGA. The accesibility is amazing, the players care about the fans and I could follow 10 players that I knew pretty well. It was really cool following Paula Creamer and then Michelle Wie. Other than the Canadians, I can't think of more than a handful of guys I'd have said that about last week.

From my perspective, I still enjoy the Canadian Open a ton, but I feel like it's just way too much money to go watch a bunch of guys who aren't the top 20 in the world. I can go watch Adam Hadwin throw darts any week for a lot less money and support the Canadian tour which appreciated every ticket sale it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by par72 View Post
                Always fun to watch pros hit good shots at any level. I can tell you guys though I had a way better time at the LPGA last year then I did the PGA. The accesibility is amazing, the players care about the fans and I could follow 10 players that I knew pretty well. It was really cool following Paula Creamer and then Michelle Wie. Other than the Canadians, I can't think of more than a handful of guys I'd have said that about last week.

From my perspective, I still enjoy the Canadian Open a ton, but I feel like it's just way too much money to go watch a bunch of guys who aren't the top 20 in the world. I can go watch Adam Hadwin throw darts any week for a lot less money and support the Canadian tour which appreciated every ticket sale it gets!
                Also, most amateurs will learn a lot more by watching the women play (except their short games). Their swing speeds are closer to amateur reality than the ones on the men's tour. You can learn a LOT about tempo! Just don't watch them chip.

Comment

Tempo!!!! We all know how important that is!

edit: Not sure how much Bentley01 can learn from anyones short game....

"The More I practice, the luckier I get" - Gary Player

910D2
                  909H 15*
                  AP2 710 3-5i
                  710mb 6-PW
                  BV 52*/4 56*/4
                  All kinds of putters

http://instagram.com/normster

Comment

Originally posted by sLuGo View Post
                    Tempo!!!! We all know how important that is!

edit: Not sure how much Bentley01 can learn from anyones short game....
                    I was lucky that day, and the sand was very similar to The National's, so I had a few good sand shots. It's not always like that!

But thank you for the compliment!

Comment

I liked the sand so much...i left a few shots in it!

I hope you dont come close to chipping in 10+ times a round often I'll feel horrible about myself!

I missed lots of the cdn open this year. I was offered to go Sunday, but i just didnt feel the urge. I spent the day trying to recover from a wedding skipping back and fourth betwen the open and Jersey shore...now that says something!

910D2
                      909H 15*
                      AP2 710 3-5i
                      710mb 6-PW
                      BV 52*/4 56*/4
                      All kinds of putters

Comment

HAHAHA it's so true...why can't women chip. In terms of tempo...you could not be more RIGHT(sorry Bentley). I went to see the women on the Thursday and played friday saturday and sunday in 4 under with 3 bogeys. If I find myself swinging too hard on the golf course I mark my ball P.C. so Every swing I think Paula Creamer....since her tempo is so slow and rythmic and she hits the ball miles past me. I find thinking about them always slows my swing down and I have better temp and contact.

Jersey shore...eh SLUGO..... Can we start calling Carl Pettersen "the situation' for those rock hard abs and dean wilson "sweetheart" for how he gave that tourney to pettersen

Originally posted by Bentley01 View Post
                        Also, most amateurs will learn a lot more by watching the women play (except their short games). Their swing speeds are closer to amateur reality than the ones on the men's tour. You can learn a LOT about tempo! Just don't watch them chip.
                        Last edited by par72; Jul 26, 2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

What was Louis Oostheizen world ranking prior to lapping the field of 'elite' players at the British? 291 or something like that?

But seeing guys like Nathan Green, Chez Reavie or Dean Wilson doesn't exactly get me excited.

So although I was kinda pulling for Dean Wilson, the critical side of me was hoping a better 'name' would win. And I think Carl Petterson was a very deserving winner, and that's now his 4th PGA win. So he has some credibility.

And again, if you go back to that post-round interview, at the 18th green with Carl Patterson, that guy was sincerely emotional. The Canadian Open certainly means something to him!
                          Member Whitecourt Golf & Country Club

"I don't ever get to play Tiger,"
                          "So I don't give a damn about Tiger."
                          Tom Watson.

I wonder what Moe would say...

Anybody but Tiger.

Comment

You are always thinking about paula...dont lie

910D2
                            909H 15*
                            AP2 710 3-5i
                            710mb 6-PW
                            BV 52*/4 56*/4
                            All kinds of putters

Comment

It's pretty sad when we can't even get the guy's name right...

Carl Pettersson, not Patterson or Petterson. Clearly, not that well-known... yet.

Originally posted by Albert Hacker View Post
                              What was Louis Oostheizen world ranking prior to lapping the field of 'elite' players at the British? 291 or something like that?

But seeing guys like Nathan Green, Chez Reavie or Dean Wilson doesn't exactly get me excited.

So although I was kinda pulling for Dean Wilson, the critical side of me was hoping a better 'name' would win. And I think Carl Petterson was a very deserving winner, and that's now his 4th PGA win. So he has some credibility.

And again, if you go back to that post-round interview, at the 18th green with Carl Patterson, that guy was sincerely emotional. The Canadian Open certainly means something to him!

Comment

I meant that we could learn a lot from watching the women swing! And for some of them, like Paula, I just feel good all over, too!

Originally posted by par72 View Post
                                HAHAHA it's so true...why can't women chip. In terms of tempo...you could not be more wrong. I went to see the women on the Thursday and played friday saturday and sunday in 4 under with 3 bogeys. If I find myself swinging too hard on the golf course I mark my ball P.C. so Every swing I think Paula Creamer....since her tempo is so slow and rythmic and she hits the ball miles past me. I find thinking about them always slows my swing down and I have better temp and contact.

Jersey shore...eh SLUGO..... Can we start calling Carl Pettersen "the situation' for those rock hard abs and dean wilson "sweetheart" for how he gave that tourney to pettersen

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X