Collapse

Canadian Open ...yawn

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open ...yawn

Even though they are now hosting the event at some truly nice classic courses the event has lost it's lustre for me. The field was lacking in my mind. Top echelon players & the PGA Tour really don't value / appreciate the history of the event.

Re: Canadian Open ...yawn

No, they don't.
    And they haven't for quite some time.
    I was hopeful that when RBC came on board and a number of U.S. tournament sponsors disappeared, they would move it to a better date.
    But, no such luck.

Comment

How exactly is the field lacking ??
      Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by WILL View Post
        You weren't playing...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
        TM SLDR 10.5*
        TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
        TM Rescue 22*
        4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
        Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
        Ping Ketch
        Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

It was a boring field. Maybe there just wasn't a good storyline to catch my interest.

Comment

i enjoyed my second open...last yr was first for monday wet finish....i really enjoyed the layout and course..i loved that i live 5 minutes away and walking down islington was like a fair...but
            i gotta agree with the OP...there was only 1..yes....1...of the worlds top ten....in the final field..and that left it very boring....i rooted for little tim..but other than that..i admit i enjoyed it and would go again..but not seeing any of the big big names..did water it down a bit.
            PING CAMO BAG...
            WEAPONS...
            SRIXON ZX5 10.5
            3W TM M2
            HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
            5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
            LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
            3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
              It was a boring field. Maybe there just wasn't a good storyline to catch my interest.
              There were still 120+ players in the field, still 70 & tie were making the cut, still a winner on Sunday afternoon, winner still collecting a big cheque & 500 Canada Post points. Where is the bore came from Plus, our top Canadian golfer, Weir missing cut as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasy09 View Post
                There were still 120+ players in the field (just like so many other meaningless tournaments), still 70 & tie were making the cut(just like so many other meaningless tournaments), still a winner on Sunday afternoon(just like so many other meaningless tournaments), winner still collecting a big cheque(just like so many other meaningless tournaments) & 500 Canada Post points. Where is the bore came from Plus, our top Canadian golfer, Weir missing cut as usual(just like so many other meaningless tournaments)
                I wish the event could draw the best players in the world but the date sucks and the top pros just don't view it as a meaningful event to win. To be honest I believe that the success of the tour and it's world golf championships, Fed Ex cup etc have greatly diminished the value of other events.

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
                  I wish the event could draw the best players in the world but the date sucks and the top pros just don't view it as a meaningful event to win. To be honest I believe that the success of the tour and it's world golf championships, Fed Ex cup etc have greatly diminished the value of other events.
                  Agree with the Fed SEx cup, there is too much money there that top players are planed their schedule around it.

Comment

Yeah, Sean O’Hair, Camilo Villegas, Luke Donald, Tim Clark, Hunter Mahan, Paul Casey, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Ryuji Imada, Retief Goosen (and Anthony Kim if he were healthy, just to name a few) are really terrible players.

I think RBC has done a phenomenal job bringing bigger names to the Can Open... just because Tiger and Phil don't show up doesn't mean its not a legit tourney. It isn't the tourney's fault if guys don't play well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasy09 View Post
                      There were still 120+ players in the field, still 70 & tie were making the cut, still a winner on Sunday afternoon, winner still collecting a big cheque & 500 Canada Post points. Where is the bore came from Plus, our top Canadian golfer, Weir missing cut as usual
                      Originally posted by mfparkinson View Post
                      Yeah, Sean O’Hair, Camilo Villegas, Luke Donald, Tim Clark, Hunter Mahan, Paul Casey, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Ryuji Imada, Retief Goosen (and Anthony Kim if he were healthy, just to name a few) are really terrible players.

I think RBC has done a phenomenal job bringing bigger names to the Can Open... just because Tiger and Phil don't show up doesn't mean its not a legit tourney. It isn't the tourney's fault if guys don't play well.
                      Yeah, because it's the week after the Open Championship, you're never gonna be able to get "everyone", in fact I was very pleasantly surprised to see Paul Casey!

For me, it's a chance to see some of the Best of the Rest, and they ALL have fantastic games....honestly, if Tiger & Phil were there (and I've seen them elsewhere), EVERYONE ELSE gets lost in the shuffle. When I went to the TPC in 2003, the crowds around Tiger were 10-15 people deep, and that was just at the range!
                      I followed Glen Hnatiuk (remember him?) for the front 9, and saw some GREAT golf!

I also thought the CBS coverage was fantastic on Sunday, sure they talked about Toronto & Canada a lot, but honestly I didn't find that they really went overboard!
                      ...and though I'm not a huge Peter Kostis fan, I really liked the way HE seemed to take charge over Bill Macatee!
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Personally, I am tired of the constant debate of the CDN Open field.

It is what it is. The supporters tend to oversell it and the detrctors tend to exaggerate how weak it is.

I agree with the OP that there's little excitements.

Comment

Originally posted by mfparkinson View Post

Perfectly said!!!
                          Honestly, you look a the four Majors, the 4 World Championship events, the Players, Bay Hill, Memorial, Colonial and the Fed Ex playoff events.....there just isn't much room..... every tournament fights the same battle that the Canadian Open does.
                          You don't think the folks at other event don't complain that they don't get Tiger or Phil or more of the top guys? The only thing the RCGA can do is keep bringing this event to great old courses and try to regain it's image of an "Open" championship. The RGGA made lots of $$$ at Glen Abbey, but unfortunately this event turned into "just another Tour event" during those many years. At least in the minds of the players!!!
                          The other battle we fight, is the tax situation...... there are players that don't like losing such a big chunk of their pay cheque..... "big brother" takes it's share before the cheque is cut!!!
                          This was a really good field on a really good course, enjoy it!! Anyone one this site should enjoy watching any of these guys play, if you didn't go.... you missed out!!
                          I don't compliment the RGCA often, but three cheers on a great week at St. Georges!!
                          g

Comment

Why do we cry into our Timmies every morning after every Can.Open for one reason or another?
                            What whining schmucks we are because our prom queen isn't from the cheerleader list. Pathetic.

Comment

In all honestly the Greenbrier should be played last week and not this week. I thought Akron was suppose to be this week and then the PGA. So the Greenbrier gets a jammed in there instead of a event in which has been around for 100+ years??? That seems far to me....

Last year it was the Open then Cdn Open then Bridgeston then PGA...now there is an extra event in there this year..

RBC has done the best job they can with what they have. Immelman, Clark and Donald all in the top 5 and a multiple Pgatour player winning who people have actually heard of. No offense to Dean but the only thing I've heard out of him lately is I'm Stacked.
                              Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                              Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                              Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                              Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                              Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                              Ping Hoofer

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse