Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell phone permissible at Wyndham Championship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone permissible at Wyndham Championship

From AP.....

Wyndham Championship now cell-phone friendly

By JOEDY McCREARY (AP)

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Fans will be able to bring their cell phones on the course at next month's Wyndham Championship.

Defending champion Ryan Moore hopes to give them something to talk and text about.

Tournament officials said Tuesday that they would allow fans to use mobile phones at Sedgefield Country Club — as long as the devices are kept in silent mode and calls are made only in designated areas around the course. Also, fans won't be allowed to take pictures or video during the four competitive rounds.

Director Mark Brazil says it's "kind of the guinea pig tournament" because cell phones have long been a no-no on the PGA Tour.

After joking that he might send some text messages from the course, Moore said he expects fans to use their phones responsibly.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

More at http://www.pgatour.com/2010/tourname...ham/index.html

Re: Cell phone permissible at Wyndham Championship

This is not going to end well.....

Comment

Why not?

I snuck my iPhone into St. George's last week. It was handy to load up the PGA Tour app to see how other players were doing when I wasn't near a scoreboard. A couple of us discussed whether they would allow an iPad past security. As designed, it can't make a phone call and if you could pick up one of the streaming sites, it would be great to watch video in between groups.

Maybe I'm different but my phone is always in vibrate mode and in a case or in my pocket so it is very quiet, even when it is vibrating. I can't understand why people need to have their ringers turned on, and up loud.

I hope that it works out and that future Canadian Opens will also be cell phone friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post
        Why not?

I snuck my iPhone into St. George's last week. It was handy to load up the PGA Tour app to see how other players were doing when I wasn't near a scoreboard. A couple of us discussed whether they would allow an iPad past security. As designed, it can't make a phone call and if you could pick up one of the streaming sites, it would be great to watch video in between groups.

Maybe I'm different but my phone is always in vibrate mode and in a case or in my pocket so it is very quiet, even when it is vibrating. I can't understand why people need to have their ringers turned on, and up loud.

I hope that it works out and that future Canadian Opens will also be cell phone friendly.
        Because some people work around loud equipment likes drills and saws all day long...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
        TM SLDR 10.5*
        TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
        TM Rescue 22*
        4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
        Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
        Ping Ketch
        Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
          Because some people work around loud equipment likes drills and saws all day long...
          Well that makes perfect sense. I was referring to those people who are in quieter places.

But shouldn't the people who work near drills and saws all day let their calls go to voicemail and pick up their messages when the power tools are turned off?

Comment

I need mine on full volume whenever I'm outdoors. The "normal" volume is too hard to hear. At work it's on vibrate, because I can hear the vibration at home it's on normal ... but as soon as I go outside it's turned up loud, so if I end up in a restaurant or coffee shop it's going to be pretty damn loud there, unless I remember to switch the setting.

Vibrate is okay if you carry your phone in your pocket. Personally, I won't keep a cellphone so close to the little swimmers down there.

Comment

Well that makes perfect sense. I was referring to those people who are in quieter places.

But shouldn't the people who work near drills and saws all day let their calls go to voicemail and pick up their messages when the power tools are turned off?
              Not always - if they run their own business answering the phone can be critical at times.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
              TM SLDR 10.5*
              TM Rescue 22*
              Ping Ketch

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
                Vibrate is okay if you carry your phone in your pocket. Personally, I won't keep a cellphone so close to the little swimmers down there.

You must be younger person, personally I have enough kids so if the swimmers don.t work it's a bonus.
                The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't see him laughing. ~Phyllis Diller

Comment

Originally posted by 55plymouth View Post
                  You must be younger person, personally I have enough kids so if the swimmers don.t work it's a bonus.
                  Damn that made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by 55plymouth View Post
                    I'm not that young -- I'm in my forties. But it's nice to know that even if you don't want to use your gun to shoot anyone, the bullets still work.

Wait, that might be a dark analogy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                      Not always - if they run their own business answering the phone can be critical at times.
                      I run my own business. Perhaps I look at things from a different perspective, but to me, it is more important to complete the thing that I'm working on at that moment, rather than stop what I'm doing, take the call, and then get back to what I was working on before.

I think that there has been this feeling with cell phones that you need to put your life on hold whenever you hear it ringing. That's what voicemail was invented for. And call display so even if someone doesn't leave you a message, you can call them back to see what they needed.

It's also about managing your customers. Mine know that I could be in the middle of a training session, or working on a client's problem. Just as they wouldn't want me to stop in the middle of training them, or working on their problem to take a call from another client.

There is nothing that drives me nuts more than when you're in the middle of a conversation with someone, and their phone rings, and they feel that they can ignore you to talk to someone else. It's like they are saying "you're not really important enough".

I guess because of my age (51), I remember what it was like before we had cell phones and email. And we survived in business quite fine.

Comment

I run my own business. Perhaps I look at things from a different perspective, but to me, it is more important to complete the thing that I'm working on at that moment, rather than stop what I'm doing, take the call, and then get back to what I was working on before.

I think that there has been this feeling with cell phones that you need to put your life on hold whenever you hear it ringing. That's what voicemail was invented for. And call display so even if someone doesn't leave you a message, you can call them back to see what they needed.

It's also about managing your customers. Mine know that I could be in the middle of a training session, or working on a client's problem. Just as they wouldn't want me to stop in the middle of training them, or working on their problem to take a call from another client.

There is nothing that drives me nuts more than when you're in the middle of a conversation with someone, and their phone rings, and they feel that they can ignore you to talk to someone else. It's like they are saying "you're not really important enough".

I guess because of my age (51), I remember what it was like before we had cell phones and email. And we survived in business quite fine.
                        I agree with all your points.

I don't necessarily stop work to answer the phone and I never interrupt a conversation with any customer for a phone call.

This vein of the thread started by discussing why people have their phone ringers on loud. I have mine on loud so that I can hear it ring. I then decide if I can first look to see who is calling (Caller ID) and then answer it if it is safe to do so and if it is a call I need to answer.

Having the ringer on loud allows me the time to hear it and make a decision accordingly.

FYI, if I'm on the golf course, in a restaurant or a movie theatre, etc. my phone is always on vibrate.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                        TM SLDR 10.5*
                        TM Rescue 22*
                        Ping Ketch

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
                          But it's nice to know that even if you don't want to use your gun to hunt beaver, the bullets still work.
                          Fixed it for you
                          What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
                          SLDR 15* 3W
                          TM Rescue 17*
                          SLDR 5H
                          TM M2 4-PW
                          CG15 52/60
                          Rossa Monza Corza

Comment

People carrying cell phones into events is pretty hard to police, so relaxing the rules somewhat seems to be a practical compromise. I can see the furor once someone leaves their phone on ring and it goes off at an inapproriate moment. I think there the potential for plenty of moments like Morgan Pressel's F-bomb last week...
                            You can hit a two acre fairway 10% of the time and a two inch branch 90% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFly TNT View Post
                              People carrying cell phones into events is pretty hard to police, so relaxing the rules somewhat seems to be a practical compromise. I can see the furor once someone leaves their phone on ring and it goes off at an inapproriate moment. I think there the potential for plenty of moments like Morgan Pressel's F-bomb last week...
                              This is the problem - it only takes one.....

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                                TrGo
                                iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X