Collapse

CDN Tour will dial back the ball 20%

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDN Tour will dial back the ball 20%

Did anyone else hear this mentioned on Grey Goose tonight, the CDN Tour will force players to use modified balls that only go 80-85% of the current standard, I only caught a bit of the conversation, is it for one event only as a trial?

In effect that would reduce those 300 yard bombs back to mid 80's distances when really long drivers averaged 260 off the tee, now that would change the game.

I would love to see a 54 hole off season event where they have to use persimmon/real blades and balata, the real ball striking talent would rise out of the league of bashers.

it's very interesting that the CDN tour is willing to give this a test. Jack Nicklaus must be happy.

Re: CDN Tour will dial back the ball 20%

Its a trial one day event using prototype balls by a couple major manufactures and a dozen Cdn tour players.
    What's in the Sun Mountain Three5
    Driver - Adams Speedline 9.5* w/DVS 65 S
    4 Wood - Ping G10 17* w/VS Proto 85 S
    Hybrids - Adams Idea Pro 20*& 23* w/VS Proto 80 S
    Irons - Adams Idea Pro 5-PW w/BlackGold S
    Wedges - Titlleist Vokey 50*,54* & 58* Spin milled pre-2010
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport TEI3

Comment

I've been testing these balls for the tour for the past 10 years. They're dead short but spins like mad.
      Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by dvgKKM View Post
        Its a trial one day event using prototype balls by a couple major manufactures and a dozen Cdn tour players.
        ok that makes sense, hope they have fun

Comment

Why do some people want to curtail technological progress?

Maybe these people should just join an Amish Mennonite community or something.

Comment

Wow. And after the USGA said they had no interest in persuing this line, the CDN tour comes up with it?
            How convienient.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post

so you would be ok with 450 yard drives in normal conditions? that's not golf imo it's practically video game distances and it takes all of the nuance and challenge out of it for top level players

now we can practically bunt the ball 260 with no effort at all, 20 years ago that was a really well struck drive with power, now it's Corey Pavin distance, I still remember what would happen if you really came over the top and cut across one of those 90 compression balatas, now that's a slice.....these days it's a soft fade

technology has brought everyone into a tighter pack imo and made it tougher for the best players to really separate themselves from the field at the pro level, that's my take on it

Comment

^^^^

If you pay attention to the driving stat, driving distance have not gone up for the last 3-4 years on the PGA Tour. In fact, I think they have gone down.

Comment

Agree 100%.

Golfers like to hit long bombs when they can and they also like watching tour players do the same.
                  Its not like the historical stroke average on average is reducing, so why even bother?
                  Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                  Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                  Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Same here....
                    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Distance is a relative value. One which is relative to your peers. Therefore a 300 yd drive vs another 300 yd drive is irrelevant. So seeing 300 yd drives is pointless.

The significant reason for curtailing the the golf ball is to stop making current golf courses irrelevant. Not every golf course can lengthen it's layout to accommodate the significant advantages in technology - balls, shafts, clubheads, agronomy and physical fitness.

I am not a Luddite or someone against distance, but to artificially give a larger community of players 300 yd drives just because of technology is pointless. It is not like you can differentiate a 300 yd drive vs. a 280 yd drive on television - where most of us watch golf.
                      Tools of the Trade

Driver: Titleist 905S - Grafalloy Blue Stiff
                      3Wood: Titleist 980F - Fujikura Vista Tour S-flex
                      Irons (2-PW): Nike VR TW Blade PX 6.0
                      Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54, 60
                      Putter: Titlest Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Model 3
                      Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Comment

Originally posted by sennawcf1 View Post
                        The significant reason for curtailing the the golf ball is to stop making current golf courses irrelevant. Not every golf course can lengthen it's layout to accommodate the significant advantages in technology - balls, shafts, clubheads, agronomy and physical fitness.
                        Golf courses are not irrelevant on the CANTour when a bunch of guys who miss the cut didn't even break par for Thursday and Friday. Consider Seaforth a CANTour stop in August which is a relatively short course. Sure the winner posts like -24 for 4 days but a lot of professional golfers still struggle to post a top amateur score

Sure distance is relevant but if golfers now hit 220 yards vs. 240 yards they derive less enjoyment from the game, and golf needs more people playing in a declining market. The new ball is not good strategically for the game. Even Arnie supported the non-conforming driver so regular folks would derive more enjoyment
                        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                          Golf courses are not irrelevant on the CANTour when a bunch of guys who miss the cut didn't even break par for Thursday and Friday. Consider Seaforth a CANTour stop in August which is a relatively short course. Sure the winner posts like -24 for 4 days but a lot of professional golfers still struggle to post a top amateur score

Sure distance is relevant but if golfers now hit 220 yards vs. 240 yards they derive less enjoyment from the game, and golf needs more people playing in a declining market. The new ball is not good strategically for the game. Even Arnie supported the non-conforming driver so regular folks would derive more enjoyment
                          On the PGA Tour, golf courses are being made unplayable because of the length due to technology. Courses are being lengthened to make the design relevant - perfect example is Augusta National, which is consistently lengthened to bring bunkers and other features back into play. There are many courses which are no longer used because they can't be lengthened.

As for "having more fun" because you can hit it 240 vs 220, I don't see how a longer drive provides more fun. I was under the impression that golf is about the score in relation to PAR not how far you hit the drive. As for Arnie's comment about non-conforming drivers, well let's just remember that he was under contract to Callaway at the time. There are many others, Jack Nicklaus for example, who believe that technology (ball and clubs) are not good for the game.
                          Last edited by sennawcf1; Jul 29, 2010, 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
                          Tools of the Trade

Driver: Titleist 905S - Grafalloy Blue Stiff
                          3Wood: Titleist 980F - Fujikura Vista Tour S-flex
                          Irons (2-PW): Nike VR TW Blade PX 6.0
                          Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54, 60
                          Putter: Titlest Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Model 3
                          Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Comment

This is an experiement that will likely go no where. The ruling bodies (R&A, USGA, RCGA) will not be able to roll back technology. The Tours could implement a "tournament ball" but I doubt they will.

Comment

I seriously doubt that a short ball will make it possible to rejuvenate the old courses that were once on the rota. It's usually the expense of the logistics, as we saw with the intense restriction around St. George, that eliminated many of them.

A Tour Only short ball will not make the pro-game less relevant.
                              The average game has little in common with that of a pro's so what they do should not be that great a concern out on the "munis".
                              I can hear Wannabees now, "Yeah I know,but I'm using the short ball."

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X