Collapse

Paradise Lost

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradise Lost

Lets see, we can watch the worlds 1,2,and 3 play the game or........we can watch Chris Berman try to swing around his belly at Pebble Beach paradise. I think the PGA Tour better start worying . One of the golf mecca's and we have to watch the celebs . Time to do something different with this tournament. Instead of the celebs- how about the previous years amateur world teams playing with the pro's.

Re: Paradise Lost

Originally posted by mnorman View Post
    Lets see, we can watch the worlds 1,2,and 3 play the game or........we can watch Chris Berman try to swing around his belly at Pebble Beach paradise. I think the PGA Tour better start worying . One of the golf mecca's and we have to watch the celebs . Time to do something different with this tournament. Instead of the celebs- how about the previous years amateur world teams playing with the pro's.
    Sorry you feel that way, to me it seems like the same thing 40+ weeks a year, this event is kind of fun! By the time Sunday rolls around, you won't see much of the celebs anyhow! I kind of like at least one week of variety! Used to get ton's on complaints about "the International" too! Yeh, it was never perfect, but at least a change. IMHO

Comment

Sure the variety is nice and you can never go wrong watching Pebble Beach, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But Berman was embarrasing. Show him a couple of times so we can all laugh and then get on to the real golfers

Comment

I think the current state of the Pro-Am cheapen the tournament and thus cheapen the prestige of Pebble Beach, especially now that only B-, if not C-listers are the ones showing up.

Kind of like having a Hooters Tour event at Augusta National.

Comment

not a fan of the pro-ams either but understand why they do them and agree with GBR that there are really only 2 a season out of so many tournaments so no big deal.

like anything else, you no like , nobody is forcing you to watch.

people do attend to see the celebs in these as much as the golfers and while for tv viewing the true golf fan wants to see the pros playing thursday , friday am shots are at least tolerable.

heck the shot of the day IMO yesterday was by an amateur
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Anybody know how much it costs for an amateur to play in this tournament with the pro's? I'm sure we couldn't afford it.

Comment

Sure, some celebs with their dubious caps are a pain in the _ss to watch but the course always makes up for it.
              Just scrounging around I learned that Jim Backus of Magoo and Gilligans Island fame actually made the cut in 1964.
              Sadly once he landed on the Island he was never seen again.

GBR, do you know which of the celebs play up to their cap?

Comment

I too find the time devoted to the amateur "celebrities", especially the sycophantic interviews with the business types and tournament title sponsors, tedious and annoying. But, I understand the commecial imperatives - they will always have the die hard golfers tuning in because it is Pebble and the Monterray Peninsula. If they can snag a few more viewers because they want to see Bill Murray drag a reluctant spectator through a bunker in a mistaken belief in his comedic instincts, then so be it.

But, definitely the glamour is gone. The days of yore, the Crosby Clambake and its attendant celebrity hijinks, have been replaced by a much more crass and cynical event. I suppose it is the temper of the times, the dropping of the veil that used to keep prying eyes away from the reality of that carefully constructed fiction called Hollywood.

At least OJ and Phil Spector aren't on the tee sheet. But then they wouldn't be able to make their tee times...until they are granted parole.

Rusty

Comment

I rarely watch the Euro tour but this weekend I'm all over it....will tune in Sunday for a Pebble update (if they had Ricky Gervais interviewing the celebs I might be more inclined to watch).

Comment

How about what they did in Bahrain two weeks ago..

Normal rounds 1 and 2... make the cut and you get an amateur to play in the group with you for the weekend.
                    Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                    Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                    Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                    Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                    Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                    Ping Hoofer

Comment

agree the novelty wears off very fast on these Pro-Am's.

However not a big fan of the Trump show, but the last two episodes were decent. Glavine v Smoltz - Smoltz is a sratch to plus handicap but Glavine kept making some bombs to stay in the match.

Hull vs JR was good too - I have seen Hull play before and he is a scratch as well, but JR hit some good shots to keep it entertaining.

Comment

Weirsy, going backward

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
                          Sure, some celebs with their dubious caps are a pain in the _ss to watch but the course always makes up for it.
                          Just scrounging around I learned that Jim Backus of Magoo and Gilligans Island fame actually made the cut in 1964.
                          Sadly once he landed on the Island he was never seen again.

GBR, do you know which of the celebs play up to their cap?
                          Hey Dekker,
                          Wasn't at the AT&T this year, and honestly, I've never paid much attention to the ams. put any player on a course set up for a Tour event and they'll be hard pressed to play even close to their handicap! Throw in fairways lined with fans and it gets even tougher. The joke of this event is the sandbaggers every year. honestly, I don't pay much attention to the Pro-Am scores.

I think this event is being affected by the times. Back in the day, it was cool to see celebrities in an informal environment and just having fun! Now a days with TMZ and so much more, we know all about celebrities and are no where near as enamored by them! From what I remember, many moons ago, the celebrities were always corny and really not that funny, but it was cool just to see them on a golf course..... Not so much anymore! Too bad, this is a great event, with a storied history..... Sad to see guys trashing it!
                          gbr

Comment

Personally, I find it a huge waste of time to telecast a bunch of hacks playing golf. If I wanted to watch that on tv I can clamp a cam to my clicgear and watch my round over and over. What amazes me is how some people will stand in the gallery to watch em. If they won't walk AHEAD of their 8 hcp playing partner, then why the hell would they stand behind the ropes watching tin cup teeing off?

Yah they're actors and athletes, but I'd rather watch them at things they're good at instead of a sport where they suck at. When I watch golf, I want to watch it being played by the pros. Hell, ask Tony Romo if he'd want to watch a football game where John Daly's playing and see what he'd have to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Borbor View Post
                              Personally, I find it a huge waste of time to telecast a bunch of hacks playing golf. If I wanted to watch that on tv I can clamp a cam to my clicgear and watch my round over and over. What amazes me is how some people will stand in the gallery to watch em. If they won't walk AHEAD of their 8 hcp playing partner, then why the hell would they stand behind the ropes watching tin cup teeing off?

Yah they're actors and athletes, but I'd rather watch them at things they're good at instead of a sport where they suck at. When I watch golf, I want to watch it being played by the pros. Hell, ask Tony Romo if he'd want to watch a football game where John Daly's playing and see what he'd have to say?
                              Wow, a little bitter at the AT&T.... my best suggestion is don't watch and enjoy the next 40+ events.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X