Collapse

Hunter Mahan Nice Guy but Choker

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Mahan Nice Guy but Choker

after an abysmal chip effort.....at ryder cup....on last hole....hunter choked huge.
    i have done it...most of us have..although he is a pro and its not supposed to happen.
    but on pga tour .com i was reading a article by a guy about hunter putting a choker title behind him and he talks about how good hunter played at pebble.

played well at pebble overall...but choking behind him> guess writer turned tv off before the 18th hole........

yeah he played well...until...yeah...u guessed it...until the final hole? did this writer miss yet another last hole...with slight chance to win....by hunter who drove the green in stunning fashion in two...only to take three putts from just a few feet away from hole?
    not to mention a virtual tap in for the second putt...which he missed.

nice guy.....felt for him when he cried at ryder...but i wouldnt want this guy to be someone i depend on for a crucial hole......mcdowell? yes. tiger? yes. but hunter?
    r u kiddin?
    PING CAMO BAG...
    WEAPONS...
    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
    3W TM M2
    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Re: Hunter Mahan Nice Guy but Choker

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
    after an abysmal chip effort.....at ryder cup....on last hole....hunter choked huge.
    i have done it...most of us have..although he is a pro and its not supposed to happen.
    but on pga tour .com i was reading a article by a guy about hunter putting a choker title behind him and he talks about how good hunter played at pebble.

played well at pebble overall...but choking behind him> guess writer turned tv off before the 18th hole........

yeah he played well...until...yeah...u guessed it...until the final hole? did this writer miss yet another last hole...with slight chance to win....by hunter who drove the green in stunning fashion in two...only to take three putts from just a few feet away from hole?

nice guy.....felt for him when he cried at ryder...but i wouldnt want this guy to be someone i depend on for a crucial hole......mcdowell? yes. tiger? yes. but hunter?
    r u kiddin?
    Are you talking about the 2008 Ryder Cup where he lead the US scoring?

Come on, he's a strong finisher. A mishap on a big stage does entangle someone with a bad stigmatism, but he's far from the choker.

What about the rest of the "could have but didn't"s who have more haunting ghosts in their closets? ... I for one disagree.

Not a fan of his sunglasses though.
    My golf game
    [I]Ajax/I]
    Driver: R1 Black
    Woods: '07 Burner 3 wood w/Motore 4.0
    Irons: Epon AF-301 4-pw w/Satin PX
    Wedges: MacDaddy
    Putter: Wilson Ben Crenshaw 8802

Comment

Originally posted by Bradynel View Post
      Are you talking about the 2008 Ryder Cup where he lead the US scoring?

Come on, he's a strong finisher. A mishap on a big stage does entangle someone with a bad stigmatism, but he's far from the choker.

What about the rest of the "could have but didn't"s who have more haunting ghosts in their closets? ... I for one disagree.

Not a fan of his sunglasses though.
      nope....i have put milli vanilli and 1984 behind me as well...i guess you missed it but the ryder cup was held just a few short months ago.......
      i am talking about what have you done for me lately...not a time machine. i have seen him in the past six mths in only two crucial last hole situations and he has choked on em both.
      his chip at ryder cup and his putts at pebble combined are about 30 feet, yet he took 7 shots to hole em both.
      PING CAMO BAG...
      WEAPONS...
      SRIXON ZX5 10.5
      3W TM M2
      HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
      LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

nope....i have put milli vanilli and 1984 behind me as well...i guess you missed it but the ryder cup was held just a few short months ago.......
        i am talking about what have you done for me lately...not a time machine. i have seen him in the past six mths in only two crucial last hole situations and he has choked on em both.
        his chip at ryder cup and his putts at pebble combined are about 30 feet, yet he took 7 shots to hole em both.
        Yeah yeah, fair enough...

But why all the hate for Hunter, didn't you just come back from some fantastic vacation?
        My golf game
        [I]Ajax/I]
        Driver: R1 Black
        Woods: '07 Burner 3 wood w/Motore 4.0
        Irons: Epon AF-301 4-pw w/Satin PX
        Wedges: MacDaddy
        Putter: Wilson Ben Crenshaw 8802

Comment

really of all people to rag on you choose hunter mahan? imo this thread should be about steve marino

Comment

Seriously?? Mahan was out of it before the start of the last round, he got himself into the tournament by shooting -6 on Sunday. The 3 putt on 18 was untimely but anyone who has watched golf played at Pebble over the years they know that is a difficult pin placement and not easy to 2 putt. As far as the chip in the Ryder Cup, that was unfortunate and seeing his reaction afterwards . . . he was crushed. I am sure that everyone who has played golf has done that, I felt bad for the guy. Right now I would not have Woods hit a putt to win anything, McDowell yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
              really of all people to rag on you choose hunter mahan? imo this thread should be about steve marino
              This is all you need for this thread. Hunter closed the deal Marino usually can't find the course when in contention in the final round.
              Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
              Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
              Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
              Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
              Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
              Ping Hoofer

Comment

Yeah I'm not really sure it's fair to label a guy as a choker when he puts up one of the best, if not the best, rounds on a Sunday to get himself into contention.

Comment

Hmmm, one of the younger superstars on the PGA tour and he does not meet your criteria for perfection.

Did you happen to see somebody named Tiger Woods = World #3 golfer choke on the final day in his last 2 tournies and dunk a short iron into the water on 18 in Dubai, missing his yardage ( back of green and spin it back) by some 20 -25 yards

He choked in the President's Cup on 18 against Weir

5 iron in the drink on sunday at Augusta losing to Zach Johnson

He could not seal the deal at Sherwood last year

etc etc does he too have a history of choking?

World #2 golfer also dunked it on 18 at Dubai

Phil failed to whole his wedge to tie a few weeks ago

PGA Tour is full of chokers it seems
                  Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 15, 2011, 09:14 AM.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                    Hmmm, one of the younger superstars on the PGA tour and he does not meet your criteria for perfection.

Did you happen to see somebody named Tiger Woods = World #3 golfer choke on the final day in his last 2 tournies and dunk a short iron into the water on 18 in Dubai, missing his yardage ( back of green and spin it back) by some 20 -25 yards

He choked in the President's Cup on 18 against Weir

5 iron in the drink on sunday at Augusta losing to Zach Johnson

He could not seal the deal at Sherwood last year

etc etc does he too have a history of choking?

World #2 golfer also dunked it on 18 at Dubai

Phil failed to whole his wedge to tie a few weeks ago

PGA Tour is full of chokers it seems
                    When was the last time Phil had a good final round??? Augusta... other then that I can't remember to many times he broke par on Sunday over the last year.

Phil missed 2 short putts on 17 and 18 on Sunday at Pebble... longest was 5'. Choke???
                    Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                    Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                    Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                    Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                    Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                    Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
                      When was the last time Phil had a good final round??? Augusta... other then that I can't remember to many times he broke par on Sunday over the last year.

Phil missed 2 short putts on 17 and 18 on Sunday at Pebble... longest was 5'. Choke???
                      then he must be right there with Hunter too according to the OP LOL!
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Up until a few years ago, when the stars finally aligned, Phil Mickelson was known as the BIGGEST choke on tour. He still shows flashes of that and I don't think I have to remind anyone of them, so to put him in this category seems more than fair.

You don't think, with his talent and all the opportunities he has thrown away, that if Mickelson was "clutch" he'd have more career titles and majors?!?!

Comment

nope.......one time does not make a choker.......two times in a row in crucial scenarios was my point.........phil has not played well on sundays lately..that is not choking. you need to look it up for definition...choking is being in a high pressure situation and folding like a cheap suit....playing poorly overally is not choking......
                          can you really defend his chip though? it literally went like five feet? it was worse than the high handicappers at most courses...he didnt even get it on the green.
                          choke.
                          PING CAMO BAG...
                          WEAPONS...
                          SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                          3W TM M2
                          HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                          LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Originally posted by Bradynel View Post
                            Yeah yeah, fair enough...

But why all the hate for Hunter, didn't you just come back from some fantastic vacation?
                            i dont hate hunter. i just would not want the guy in a crucial scenario.....need someone to chip a ball from 20 feet or sink a ball in two putts....nope..not him.
                            ps...the vacay is long gone now....
                            PING CAMO BAG...
                            WEAPONS...
                            SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                            3W TM M2
                            HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                            LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

r u kiddin?
                              I'm guessing you're the one who turned off the tv... for the record, his first putt was from 45 feet 11 inches and the return putt was from 4 feet 5 inches.... but maybe that's just a gimme for you!
                              Pete
                              Titleist Driver 910D3
                              Titleist 915F 15
                              Titleist 915H 18
                              Titleist AP2 (4 - PW)
                              Titleist Vokey 52 & 56
                              Scotty Newport 2

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard