Canada on the world golf stage

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada on the world golf stage

Originally posted by jefflin View Post
    These guys didn't need guidance. They had an inner drive that told them they could achieve the highest levels no matter what obstacles were in front of them or who was putting them down and holding them back. If kids are staking around at the mall, no guidance is going to spark that kid's inner drive except if the kid wants it. I wrote more about this here:
    Can’t get rid of the 3-putts syndrome, having trouble fixing your slice? Ask fellow TGN members for their golf advice.

I think this also brings up another point about our Canadian culture. We don't push to be the very best. We are afraid of stepping on toes and hurting peoples feelings. Thus we don't have that many athletes that are over confident that we mistake as arrogant. We give out ribbons, prizes and trophies to our kids for participating in tournaments. There is nothing wrong with this. It allows us as a culture to be look upon as polite and kind. Yet in turn we are not going to produce alot of Tiger Woods, Micheal Jordans or Derek Jeters coming out of our sport systems.
    Jeff, I think there probably are thousands of potentially very high quality Wood's, Jordans and Jeters in Canada. They probably will never get to their potential because of a lack of funding, guidance, support, and infrastructure to either help them get there or give them that little push to get past the "I only want to do this for fun" syndrome. There's also a small part of the "nice guy" effect involved as well, but I doubt it's a primary factor. JMHO
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I think the main reason is there is just no encouragement to play golf. How often do you see groups of kids on the course? In the GTA golf is $$$ and popular so there is not allotted times for Jrs.as the adults fill al the slots. I have heard that Australia has an amazing jr golf program unlike Canada. Also as mentioned, 6 months of poor weather has to be a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
        Jeff, I think there probably are thousands of potentially very high quality Wood's, Jordans and Jeters in Canada. They probably will never get to their potential because of a lack of funding, guidance, support, and infrastructure to either help them get there or give them that little push to get past the "I only want to do this for fun" syndrome. There's also a small part of the "nice guy" effect involved as well, but I doubt it's a primary factor. JMHO
        My friend I am totally in your ball park about increasing the funding, guidance and support function for sports. I too see kids driven more to their TV set and Xboxes than ever before. I also believe a healthier body leads to a healthier mind and mind set. I am involved with coaching kids and see first hand how one can influence a young mind. It was also evidence in the lead up to the Vancouver Olympics. There was more funding and support and you see the results.

Yet I don't think you can push a kid past the "I only want to do this for fun" part to encourage drive. I think one has to be hungry, starving to be better and I do not think one can teach that into another person's head. Sure if the support system is there one has more options to pursuit one's dream yet if one is hungry enough they will find a way to their dreams whether we have the proper funding or not. Positive thinking and will opens avenues to success.
        Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
        Ping Rapture V2 4W
        Adams Idea Pro 2H
        Accuform PTM
        SC Red X

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce66 View Post
          more of an observation than anything but why do we have so much difficulty in producing world class golfers while countries with much smaller populations (Sweden/Australia to name 2) have produced numerous players. Looking at this weeks Valero Open (post major = weaker field) and the number of CDN's making the cut will 0/4, Hearn is +6, McQuillan +13, Weir +17, Baryla +20.

It's not the lack high quality courses, facilities, programs, US college opportunities or passion for the game (we have that in spades). I'm at a loss to explain it. Thoughts?
          Because it snows here even in APRIL!!!!!
          What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
          - Arnold Palmer

Comment

and May and June... I've witnessed it.
            Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
            Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
            Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
            Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
            Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
            Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
            Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by dillon1up View Post
              I think that these smaller countries have Sport Institutes which follow and support their up and comers in many sports not just golf.They support them and when it comes to golf help them get into US colleges where so many of these non- US players get their golf grooming.
              Basically Canada needs to create a Sports Institute system where young athletes can go and train and be streamed into the next level no matter where in the world it is.
              Correct. The VIS - Victorian Institute of Sport and the AIS - Australian Institute of Sport are models Canada needs to adopt.

Comment

As an expat Australian, I think the institute model produces good athletes, however most people seem to overlook what was required before these athletes made it to the Institutes!

Most Australian clubs have an interclub pennants competition, where juniors and intermediates aspire to represent their club against other clubs in a team competition without handicaps. The junior interclub program in toronto gives all kids the chance to play using a handicap -- this teaches kids to sandbag at a young age.

If you want to develop talent, you have to reward ability and let the best play, not give every kid a medal.

Although the GAO and other junior tours provide opportunities to compete, they become individual pursuits for the kids, and do not create the camaraderie and peer group that helps young players reach their potential in my opinion. I have considered trying to start a pennants style competition for juniors in Toronto. The George S Lyons provides bragging rights for a club at the senior level once a year -- a pennants comp does this over a number of weeks at multiple courses.

Comment

Having lived and followed sports development in other countries there is an important element that propels a sport forward - that is a home grown hero.
                  The first world class runner in Kenya ( Kipchoge Keino), the first world class runner in Ethiopia ( Abe Bikila), the first world class golfer in Germany ( Bernard Langher, Spain ( Seve Ballesteros), S. Africa ( Gary Player), Korea ( See ree Park) etc etc.
                  Mike Weir's Masters win did a lot for golf in Canada, and probably a lot of the young guys playing now were propelled by his success. We need one or two of these young guys to make it big and you will see young people trying to emulate that success.
                  Programs and all do help, but nothing works like a home grown hero.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X