Collapse

Rutledge @ Q School

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutledge @ Q School

It is only round 2 but, Jim Rutledge fired a 9 under 62 today in Scottsdale.
    He even parred two par 5's that he had birdied yesterday. Toughest tour to get a ticket to and he is in solid shape with two rounds to go.

Re: Rutledge @ Q School

Jim shot 67 at Desert Dunes in a 40 mile an hour wind and pouring rain last week in the Canadian Tour event in Palm Springs so his game is there. It was cold and miserable and I didn't stay around long. And remember his nickname "Jimmy Sunday" (he's always good the last day).

Comment

Jim got one of the 5 cards available with -16 for the four days. Winner was Jeff Freeman (-20) follwed by Rutledge, Gary Hallberg (-16), Jeff Hart (-15) and P H Horgan III (-14). The other Canadians were Rick Gibson (-4) and Ian Doig (E). I was fortunate to take in three of the four rounds and there was some amazing golf being played and the conditions were about as perfect as you could ask for. Sunny, no clouds and no wind! I spent most of my time following Doig and his putting let him down or he could have easily been right in the hunt. As it was, he was 71, 72, 71 and 70 and finished with two of the best birdies of the week. He had one of Tom Watson's regular caddies on his bag, which was a big help. He was steady and consistent and will be back, I'm sure..!
      If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

You really got to be thrilled for Jim. He turned pro in 1978 and has literally travelled the world trying to make a living. In 2011 with conditional status he earned almost $300,000 on the Champions Tour in 16 events including the Q-School tournament. This was just slightly more than the $290,000 that he earned in 14 events in 2010.

I remember him playing in the 2010 Canadian Open at St.Georges where I was marshalling. His wife Jill was caddying for him in that tournament. She is a breast cancer survivor since 2003 I think.

I notice in the Champions Tour stats for 2011 he is 2nd in total driving and 4th in average driving distance at 287.6 yards so he can still get it out there.

In any case it is very possible that Jim is now playing the best golf of his life. Continued and ever greater success on the Champions Tour and other events.

Comment

I'm sure it's a huge relief that Jim will be able to plan his total year out in advance. He seems like a great guy and can go low at times too. Well done Jim you've made it full time on the tour the very hardest to get a card.!!!

Comment

It's great to see him qualify for the Champions Tour. Good for him.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Excellent performance..good luck Jim & Rod next season!!

Comment

What happenned to Ray Stewart? The guy almost won a event in Seatle and then disappeared.

Comment

Not so fast about Jim planning his whole year. He is now fully exempt for the first two months (6 events) then there is a reshuffle. He has to play very well early rather than later. This info was from an article in the Victoria Times Colonist (his hometown). The Senior Tour has the toughest qualifying conditions on any tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly1963 View Post
                    What happenned to Ray Stewart? The guy almost won a event in Seatle and then disappeared.
                    Ray was at an event at Bear Mountain this fall. I don't believe that he is playing much. I thought he had a business in Langley BC???

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
                      Not so fast about Jim planning his whole year. He is now fully exempt for the first two months (6 events) then there is a reshuffle. He has to play very well early rather than later. This info was from an article in the Victoria Times Colonist (his hometown). The Senior Tour has the toughest qualifying conditions on any tour.

Your right I spoke too early. I read later that there is a reshuffle. Holy crap talk about how tough it is to get a spot on this tour. Now I can see that those with total exemption call it the ultimate mulligan. Play well Jim.
                      Last edited by Johnrw; Nov 27, 2011, 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                      X