Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiger Woods and John Feinstein

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Woods and John Feinstein

The latest issue of Golf Digest contains an extract from Feinstein's next book. The extract is entitled No One Tells Tiger Woods What To Do. The author, a well respected golf writer, provides a unique and sonewhat saddening insight into Tiger Woods. Whether you like, dislike or are indifferent to Mr. Woods, it's well worth the read.
    Last edited by mpare; Dec 3, 2011, 11:27 PM.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Re: Tiger Woods and John Feinstein

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    The latest issue of Golf Digest contains an extract from Feinstein's next book. The extract is entitled No One Tells Tiger Woods What To Do. The author, a well respected golf writer, provides an unique and sonewhat saddening insight into Tiger Woods. Whether you like, dislike or are indifferent to Mr. Woods, it's well worth the read.
    Anything golf related written by Feinstein is worth reading.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
    TM SLDR 10.5*
    TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
    TM Rescue 22*
    4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
    Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
    Ping Ketch
    Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
      Agree prints some good things..

Comment

I love his work.

Comment

The article in golf digest was very enlightening--- book should be out soon
          Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
          23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
          6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
          52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
          Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

Is there an online link ? Don't seem to be able to find it

I have to say that everything I read/see on the golf channel and its website by Feinstein shows nothing but bias against Tiger and shows no objectivity whatsoever...

Comment

There is no link to the article as yet. GD's site still has the December issue featured. I assume that the January issue will appear in the near future.

As for John Feinstein, my understanding is that he is well-respected by the guys on the Tour. Given that he is not easily cowed (as is evident in this extract) and blunt, that says a lot about their respect for him and his candour, honesty and objectivity. If you're looking for a Tiger sycophant, then you're right, you should look elsewhere. Recall that years ago he made comments in writing that were not laudatory of Tiger's dad. However, he was man enough to talk to Tiger face to face as to why he came to that conclusion. For my part, I'm looking forward to the release of his book.

Originally posted by longirons View Post

I have to say that everything I read/see on the golf channel and its website by Feinstein shows nothing but bias against Tiger and shows no objectivity whatsoever...

Comment

There is no link to the article as yet. GD's site still has the December issue featured. I assume that the January issue will appear in the near future.

As for John Feinstein, my understanding is that he is well-respected by the guys on the Tour. Given that he is not easily cowed (as is evident in this extract) and blunt, that says a lot about their respect for him and his candour, honesty and objectivity. If you're looking for a Tiger sycophant, then you're right, you should look elsewhere. Recall that years ago he made comments in writing that were not laudatory of Tiger's dad. However, he was man enough to talk to Tiger face to face as to why he came to that conclusion. For my part, I'm looking forward to the release of his book.
                Again, I have to say I agree with you. Feinstein is an excellent writer and I'm looking forward to reading this book.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                TM SLDR 10.5*
                TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                TM Rescue 22*
                4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                Ping Ketch
                Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by longirons View Post

Feinstein has been making his living the last two years parlaying his hate-on on TW.

If you watch his segments on Golf Central regularly, you probably have a good idea what is going to be in the book and therefore save your money.

My theory is that he tried to get TW involved for his book on the '08 US Open but got turned down and has been holding a grudge since.

Comment

what do you base your understanding that he's respected by the guys on tour on (not questioning just asking) ..

I don't want a sycophant but I don't want the opposite either (interestingly doesn't seem to be an opposite word for sycophant)

I'm with belly that every article feinstein writes on golf channel website doesn't hide what seems like (to me) obvious actual dislike of woods

even the quote from the excerpt that says 'nobody tells tiger woods what to do' ... my 1st thought is why should they and why should he listen ?

I'm not sure anyone on tour/here/etc particularly likes someone telling them what to do (of course I have to read the article since I'm stabbing in the dark here)

To me its telling that when so many players are asked how they like playing with tiger (just this week kucher/stricker/johnson) who from what I can see are all well liked and considered 3 of the 'nice guys' on tour they all have nothing but good things to say about them... if they didn't like/respect/whatever him they could always just say nothing but instead I find almost to a man players say nothing but good things about him (well.. except jesper maybe)

I honestly find I have trouble getting through one of Johns articles on the golf channel and if you read the comments (yes I know.. maybe not a great barometer for intelligent discussion/reasoning) it seems that most people there comment with things like 'yet another biased article from feinstein' etc etc

anyhow... look forward to reading the new one in any case.. maybe I'll get the book for my dad for xmas

Comment

This is one occasion on which I will have to disagree with you. If you read the extract you will see that there is more than enough justification for his thesis. No doubt there will be plenty of his supporters who will not bother to read it, on the assumption that anything critical of Mr. Woods is inaccurate. That would be a mistake, but to each his own.

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                      My theory is that he tried to get TW involved for his book on the '08 US Open but got turned down and has been holding a grudge since.

Comment

Feinstein is a Great Golf writer.

He is thorough and objectivein his writings and why he has such respect and a loyal following.

He also won't kiss Tiger's arse or any one else's ( like most do on TGC) and will set the goods out there for all to read........if this makes him not likeable by some Tiger fans then they are trying to be immune from the truth.

I think all fans of golf should read his writings as they will enlighten you and make you more knowledgeable about the game and it's players.

I too look anxiously forward to his next book.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

If Feinstein is so objective and so forth right, I wonder what kept him from writing his expose prior to the scandal? Was he protecting his meal ticket as well at that time just like others?

This is one occasion on which I will have to disagree with you. If you read the extract you will see that there is more than enough justification for his thesis. No doubt there will be plenty of his supporters who will not bother to read it, on the assumption that anything critical of Mr. Woods is inaccurate. That would be a mistake, but to each his own.
                          I am willing to bet the general theme is similar to this writeup from GC's website:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/john...a-changed-man/

But since you are always fair and balance in your viewpoints, I will take a look-see.
                          Last edited by Bellyhungry; Dec 4, 2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question, and quite frankly I could care less about the timing of the book's release. I'll leave the speculating to you. For my part, I'll read it and make my own judgment as to what insights, if any, it provides about Mr. Woods. If he was so interested in protecting his meal ticket, he would have cow-towed to Mr. Woods' handlers early in the game when they attempted to compromise him with the golf magazine for whom he was writing. He didn't. He told them, nicely I am sure, that they were not going to intimidate him.

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                            If Feinstein is so objective and so forth right, I wonder what kept him from writing his expose prior to the scandal? Was he protecting his meal ticket as well at that time just like others? ...
                            Last edited by mpare; Dec 4, 2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                              +1 .. i agree with everything you say too..
                              Epic 10.5 - Elements
                              Epic 3 wood - Elements
                              Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
                              King MB - Recoil Prototype
                              Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
                              Lamb Allendale
                              https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                                TGN Giveaway: The FedEx Cup 2017 Fantasy
                                TrGo
                                I'm excited to announce our latest TGN Contest Giveaway for the 2017 FedEx Cup.

The winner will receive a brand new Scotty Cameron Newport Putter!!

Here are the rules:
                                Aug 21, 2017, 11:53 AM
                              • TrGo
                                TGN To-Do List
                                TrGo
                                Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                                Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X