No announcement yet.
Collapse

Golftown Grip Sale - when and what?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golftown Grip Sale - when and what?

Originally posted by golfbreak80 View Post
    I don't remember GT having a consecutive sale on grips - but on sale again as per website this morning.
    My thoughts are that there was quite a lot of angry backlash to it being only 2 weeks long and in January. A decision that came about after new owners came about in November. My hands hope it isn't as busy as it was the first 2 weeks...

Comment

My guess is.... they took the approach of lets wait and see if we make up last years sales in 2 weeks. Clearly that didn't happen and in turn they angered a few customers. A double negative. They tried to spin it off as back by popular demand... I think it would have been a better PR move if they just said, you spoke and we listened... sales extended.
      Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
      3W - Taylormade M4
      5 wood - Callaway X Hot
      4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
      Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
      Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
      Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
        My guess is.... they took the approach of lets wait and see if we make up last years sales in 2 weeks. Clearly that didn't happen and in turn they angered a few customers. A double negative. They tried to spin it off as back by popular demand... I think it would have been a better PR move if they just said, you spoke and we listened... sales extended.
        Isn't that what "back by popular demand means"?

Anyway, good news for me. I managed to miss it the first time, and I'm due for complete new set.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
          Isn't that what "back by popular demand means"?

Anyway, good news for me. I managed to miss it the first time, and I'm due for complete new set.

I guess it could be but typically back by popular demand is not used for a sale that ended a week ago. I think it would have come off better if they just acknowledged their new (shorted) approach this year pissed off a lot of customers and over worked their staff to jam in roughly 4 weeks of grips into 2 weeks.
          3W - Taylormade M4
          5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

While I agree with you that it should have been in February, as it has been for at least 8 years. But I don't agree with the idea that it is our fault when someone misses a sale. If you're a leaderboard member, you get an email. Pay attention to it. I know there are a lot, but in mid-late January if I needed new grips I'd be keeping my eyes peeled for some sort of announcement. It was also plastered all over the website, Facebook, and I assume Twitter (I don't have it so I can't say for sure).

So while I can understand some people's frustrations, I don't have any sympathy for missing a very popular, very advertised sale because of essentially ignorance. Sales do change. Stores are allowed to mix things up from time to time and test if something will work better. I am going to wager that at least at my store, we did just as many sets if not more than last year. I was gripping non-stop for 3 weeks for 4 shifts a week, for at least 6 hours a shift. We always had 2 stations going and we were still buried.

I am firmly in the camp that they got enough "angry emails" going like this that they decided to just appease them and "extend" it anyway. I am not saying it was you specifically, I am just trying to write a generalized post. Please don't take this the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
              While I agree with you that it should have been in February, as it has been for at least 8 years. But I don't agree with the idea that it is our fault when someone misses a sale. If you're a leaderboard member, you get an email. Pay attention to it. I know there are a lot, but in mid-late January if I needed new grips I'd be keeping my eyes peeled for some sort of announcement. It was also plastered all over the website, Facebook, and I assume Twitter (I don't have it so I can't say for sure).

So while I can understand some people's frustrations, I don't have any sympathy for missing a very popular, very advertised sale because of essentially ignorance. Sales do change. Stores are allowed to mix things up from time to time and test if something will work better. I am going to wager that at least at my store, we did just as many sets if not more than last year. I was gripping non-stop for 3 weeks for 4 shifts a week, for at least 6 hours a shift. We always had 2 stations going and we were still buried.

I am firmly in the camp that they got enough "angry emails" going like this that they decided to just appease them and "extend" it anyway. I am not saying it was you specifically, I am just trying to write a generalized post. Please don't take this the wrong way.
              I'm definitely not saying its golf towns fault for people missing the sale or taking it the wrong way. Unfortunately when GT does the same thing for years, people get use to it(grip sales and flyers). I doubt the click through rate on GT emails is high with most going unseen to junkmail accounts. I think this is one of those scenarios where GT needs to think of future plans and stick to their guns and train the consumer for change.
              I have helped create a national weekly flyer for about 8 years and I can tell you the hardest thing to do is change consumer behavior. I got the email and actually got my grips change but I think GT needs to either stick with plans or flat out admit they were wrong.
              3W - Taylormade M4
              5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

I'm definitely not saying its golf towns fault for people missing the sale or taking it the wrong way. Unfortunately when GT does the same thing for years, people get use to it(grip sales and flyers). I doubt the click through rate on GT emails is high with most going unseen to junkmail accounts. I think this is one of those scenarios where GT needs to think of future plans and stick to their guns and train the consumer for change.
                I have helped create a national weekly flyer for about 8 years and I can tell you the hardest thing to do is change consumer behavior. I got the email and actually got my grips change but I think GT needs to either stick with plans or flat out admit they were wrong.
                Agreed. I think they need(ed) to do a couple of things. Lay off the daily/multiple times a day emails. One a week is sufficient; personally I think even that is overkill but if you have one email every Monday/Tuesday morning announcing the promo of the week it seems like a more effective strategy than: here's our sale, did you see our sale?, don't forget these are on sale, oh here's something else too, don't forget!!!

I also think a sort of newsletter email would have been sufficient that covered a few topics. I still get asked about 3x a week if we are going out of business. They should send out a "we were bought by FairFax back in November, and here is our new mission to provide you customers with the best golf shopping experience by providing x, y, z". Then they could have also tagged on the grip sale by saying they are trying something new and based on previous sales numbers over a 5 year trend, it made more sense to have a 2.5 week sale than it did to have a 5 week sale. With the shorter sale, we are able to focus on providing more sales to you earlier (the free wedge event is on much earlier than normal from what I remember) and with our new fitting carts, new fitting software and the awesome new product we are hoping you can come in and see what some new product can do for you.

Obviously someone like yourself who designed flyers and emails could word it better than I, but it would get the point across to those who are on the fence about new grips vs. new clubs that we are really trying to focus on making the game easier for you by providing customization that will change your game. Obviously, as the saying goes, "haters going to hate" no matter what. A business cannot please everyone, and all GT corporate has to do is stick to their guns and run the two week sale again next year for the haters to either a) get the point that they are in the vast minority and have to learn to deal or b) are going to go elsewhere and probably complain about something at the new place anyway.

Comment

Agreed. I think they need(ed) to do a couple of things. Lay off the daily/multiple times a day emails. One a week is sufficient; personally I think even that is overkill but if you have one email every Monday/Tuesday morning announcing the promo of the week it seems like a more effective strategy than: here's our sale, did you see our sale?, don't forget these are on sale, oh here's something else too, don't forget!!!

I also think a sort of newsletter email would have been sufficient that covered a few topics. I still get asked about 3x a week if we are going out of business. They should send out a "we were bought by FairFax back in November, and here is our new mission to provide you customers with the best golf shopping experience by providing x, y, z". Then they could have also tagged on the grip sale by saying they are trying something new and based on previous sales numbers over a 5 year trend, it made more sense to have a 2.5 week sale than it did to have a 5 week sale. With the shorter sale, we are able to focus on providing more sales to you earlier (the free wedge event is on much earlier than normal from what I remember) and with our new fitting carts, new fitting software and the awesome new product we are hoping you can come in and see what some new product can do for you.

Obviously someone like yourself who designed flyers and emails could word it better than I, but it would get the point across to those who are on the fence about new grips vs. new clubs that we are really trying to focus on making the game easier for you by providing customization that will change your game. Obviously, as the saying goes, "haters going to hate" no matter what. A business cannot please everyone, and all GT corporate has to do is stick to their guns and run the two week sale again next year for the haters to either a) get the point that they are in the vast minority and have to learn to deal or b) are going to go elsewhere and probably complain about something at the new place anyway.
                  I agree with all your proposed changes. I cant stand getting the same emails multiple times. I hardly doubt it has a great effect on click through rates vs the first email.
                  I'm definitely not saying I am better for my years of doing flyers... that was just to point out I know how hard it is to change consumers buying patterns. I love GT and at least for now, they are still the biggest and the best for teh majority. That being said hopefully with a new owner they become more efficient and less stagnant. Change the daily sales on the website to at least have some meaning or don't post them. avoid the buy what Jordan/Dustin/Day play or wear emails as you already send out enough...
                  but as we both agreed upon they have to come up with a strategy and stick to it. Stop flip flopping because as much as that makes some consumers happy, it confuses others and chances are if you already at least read the grip email you are a more loyal customer than those who are complaining that it wasn't long enough or at the same time as last year.
                  3W - Taylormade M4
                  5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

I don't think you will ever keep people happy. Last year they had probably the longest grip sale in their history and people were bitc---ng about it, having missed it.

If you didn't know it was earlier this year not sure what else you can do. If its someone who only goes to the store once a year for the grip sale, I don't imagine thats the ideal customer. It was very clear when the sale was this year.

I think they communicated it quite well and if they are going to bring it back, good for them. I don't think they needed to, but obviously if it makes business sense for them they will do it.
                    Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

I guess it could be but typically back by popular demand is not used for a sale that ended a week ago. I think it would have come off better if they just acknowledged their new (shorted) approach this year pissed off a lot of customers and over worked their staff to jam in roughly 4 weeks of grips into 2 weeks.
                      Sale actually ended 3 weeks ago in January.
                      Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

I can't believe the tone of some of the emails about this re-grip event.
                        For whatever reason that Golftown decided to do it again, I would take this as a positive sign from new ownership on how they want to treat their following public. For those that missed the first one - and Chris is right - Leaderboard is a very simple way to be advised of any GT event or promotion - take advantage now, as I would doubt we will see this monthly. And, I cannot believe anyone would have missed this ongoing thread on TGN. The public has a responsibility to stay informed. On whatever they decide they want to receive. I for one get way too many emails every day that I automatically delete. However, I choose to get emails from GT, TGN, GolfWRX, etc. Golf is a passion that I choose to stay informed on.
                        No good deed goes unpunished.
                        A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by soccerguy1961 View Post
                          I don't think you will ever keep people happy. Last year they had probably the longest grip sale in their history and people were bitc---ng about it, having missed it.

If you didn't know it was earlier this year not sure what else you can do. If its someone who only goes to the store once a year for the grip sale, I don't imagine thats the ideal customer. It was very clear when the sale was this year.

I think they communicated it quite well and if they are going to bring it back, good for them. I don't think they needed to, but obviously if it makes business sense for them they will do it.
                          Originally posted by trebor View Post
                          I can't believe the tone of some of the emails about this re-grip event.
                          For whatever reason that Golftown decided to do it again, I would take this as a positive sign from new ownership on how they want to treat their following public. For those that missed the first one - and Chris is right - Leaderboard is a very simple way to be advised of any GT event or promotion - take advantage now, as I would doubt we will see this monthly. And, I cannot believe anyone would have missed this ongoing thread on TGN. The public has a responsibility to stay informed. On whatever they decide they want to receive. I for one get way too many emails every day that I automatically delete. However, I choose to get emails from GT, TGN, GolfWRX, etc. Golf is a passion that I choose to stay informed on.
                          Well said by both of you. It just goes to show you the minds of the "customer is always right mentality" folks who think yelling, screaming (in person or via email), and throwing a tantrum is a successful avenue for conflict resolution, showing that you are unhappy, or are faced with the reality that you missed a sale. I'm sure these are the same countless people I've lost track of that on a clearly mega-busy rainy Saturday in July are ticked off that they had to wait more than 3 minutes to hit balls in the simulator or to ask a question, or storm out muttering to themselves when they can't use an expired coupon/read the sign wrong/get irritable when a clearly wrong item is a section it shouldn't be and get told they can't have it for that price.

Having gotten that off my chest, 99.99% of the people I have interacted with in the store over the 12+ years I have worked there have fallen on the spectrum of polite, friendly, and thankful. So I don't put too much stock in the grumps who think the world owes them everything because they decide to spend $60 every 2-3 years on a set of grips/mega discounted shoes or clear us out of the cheap $10 wedges/golf balls we do for our anniversary sale every year.

Comment

• Golftown regrip event II

I missed the January regrip event but I was in the Markham store today and see that GT is running another regrip event through March 15. 40% off grips. A good deal if you need grips and missed the January event.

Comment

A reminder that the grip sales ends tomorrow and there will be no further extensions. For those that took part, thank you for your business.
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X