X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best public course in the GTA of 2016

Originally posted by SkyMark View Post
    In all seriousness, Braeben*.

(* if they set it up and maintained it as a true links course)
    Has a tonne of potential that's for sure. Only hole I don't like is 7?, doesn't make sense to me to have a muni with a par3 forced carry of 160+ and absolutely no bailout. Other than that par 3, great course, and clan play very tough if the wind gets up!
    Last edited by jaybudhwani; Apr 1, 2017, 07:40 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
    TM M1 Tour AD-DI 6S
    TM SLDR 3 wood accra tour z
    Srixon U65 18* Matrix White Tie
    Srixon U45 22* Matrix White Tie
    Apex Pro Combo 5-P UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM4 50/54/58
    Odyssey Toe-Up #1
    Ball: Round & White Preferably

Home Club; Station Creek

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
      The only people who will vote for "not Osprey Valley" are those who haven't played there. Just my opinion, but those tracks are pretty hard to beat for me. Maybe Eagles Nest beats it.
      Pretty far for me, havent made the trip yet, but I would like to. For a first timer which 9's would you recommend? hoot and toot?
      In the bag:
      -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
      -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
      -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
      -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
      -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by jaybudhwani View Post
        Has a tonne of potential that's for sure. Only hole I don't like is 7?, doesn't make sense to me to have a muni with a par3 forced carry of 160+ and absolutely no bailout. Other than that par 3, great course, and clan play very tough if the wind gets up!
        Agreed. 7 is an exception. I assume not enough space so a hole had to play over the reservoir.
        Member of Cedar Brae GC

Comment

Underrated course.
          I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Originally posted by Doba View Post
            Pretty far for me, havent made the trip yet, but I would like to. For a first timer which 9's would you recommend? hoot and toot?
            It's a 54 hole facility so your choice is between 3 courses. I personally like Hoot the best with its wide fairways and huge waste bunkers. Toot would be my second choice as more of a parkland layout. Heathlands is a great links test but you'd better be hitting fairways and greens or it'll be a long day. You really can't make an ad choice there.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Not really possible to set it up like a true links course. They would need a sand base to have the course well enough and they'd need a grass better suited to those soil conditions. It's a pseudo links course for North American golfers. It's plenty of fun and a challenge setup as is.

Originally posted by jaybudhwani View Post
              That par three is a beastly hole. It can back up a bit there, but the par five that follows gets things back up to speed. I've stood on that tee attempting to figure out how to play the hole the a three club wind in my face and a 4 storey drop. Hitting the green there is can be the greatest feeling of the round.

Originally posted by Jayhawker View Post
              Underrated course.
              Very, but I'm happy for it to be that way - otherwise it'll get busy and slow. It's the closest decent track to downtown and really well priced. Early times on weekends and even later weekend afternoon times there are great.

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
              It's a 54 hole facility so your choice is between 3 courses. I personally like Hoot the best with its wide fairways and huge waste bunkers. Toot would be my second choice as more of a parkland layout. Heathlands is a great links test but you'd better be hitting fairways and greens or it'll be a long day. You really can't make a bad choice there.
              Doba - go with Hoot or Toot. I wouldn't be able to pick a favourite between the two. Better still, go for a play all day and do both.
              In the bag:
              R15 12° PXV 6.0
              SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
              Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
              Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
              Vokey SM5 54, 58
              Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post
                Doba - go with Hoot or Toot. I wouldn't be able to pick a favourite between the two. Better still, go for a play all day and do both.
                Better still, play all three!

Comment

[QUOTE=WDM1980;1643398]Not really possible to set it up like a true links course. They would need a sand base to have the course well enough and they'd need a grass better suited to those soil conditions. It's a pseudo links course for North American golfers. It's plenty of fun and a challenge setup as is.

I still think that they could introduce more fescue grass, water the fairways less, and keep it tightly mown at the front of the greens. 12 plays most like a links hole. It has one of the best greens in the GTA, plays hard and fast in the summer. They should set up all the holes like 12.
                  Member of Cedar Brae GC

Comment

All the courses are good. I prefer Heathlands for overall beauty , diversity and challenge of holes.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Not really possible to set it up like a true links course. They would need a sand base to have the course well enough and they'd need a grass better suited to those soil conditions. It's a pseudo links course for North American golfers. It's plenty of fun and a challenge setup as is.
                      I still think that they could introduce more fescue grass, water the fairways less, and keep it tightly mown at the front of the greens. 12 plays most like a links hole. It has one of the best greens in the GTA, plays hard and fast in the summer. They should set up all the holes like 12.
                      Do you mean actual fescue grass? I don't think that will grow in the soil there. If you mean longer grass, while that may give it more of a links-feel, it would also destroy the pace of play. If they water the course less, it will brown quite a bit and would have standing water whenever it rained at all. The soil does not work well there for a true-firm and fast setup because it doesn't drain like links sand.

What is it about 12 that makes it so links-like? The green should be firm as it's the highest point on the property. I understand what you mean about having the hole open at the front so you can land short and run on; however, you can't really do that at 12 with the elevated green and bunker right in front.
                      In the bag:
                      R15 12° PXV 6.0
                      SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                      Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                      Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                      Vokey SM5 54, 58
                      Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
                        Meh, I'm in the camp that it's very gimmicky. Have played it a few times and while the service is top notch, the golf course leaves little to be desired.
                        I love Wooden Sticks as I won a free round of golf after hitting the Green on the 9A par 3 hole last season. Have to use it by the end of June.

Comment

Oh man I wasn't aware they're sperate 18 hole courses.. I always thought my they were 3 9 hole course.. damn
                          In the bag:
                          -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
                          -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
                          -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
                          -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
                          -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

Do you mean actual fescue grass? I don't think that will grow in the soil there. If you mean longer grass, while that may give it more of a links-feel, it would also destroy the pace of play. If they water the course less, it will brown quite a bit and would have standing water whenever it rained at all. The soil does not work well there for a true-firm and fast setup because it doesn't drain like links sand.

What is it about 12 that makes it so links-like? The green should be firm as it's the highest point on the property. I understand what you mean about having the hole open at the front so you can land short and run on; however, you can't really do that at 12 with the elevated green and bunker right in front.
                            That is fescue at Braeben. And yes they cut it down to speed up play. There's fescue in most of the greens too. The 12th green rolls just like the greens on the Old Course, fast and bumpy. Fescue can grow in all types of soil, and plays best when it goes dormant in Jul/Aug. But I assume the soil there has a sand base anyway, the most cost effective way to cover the garbage dump underneath. No?

When 12 plays into the wind, your best bet is to play up the left side and run it up from there, taking the bunker out of play.
                            Member of Cedar Brae GC

Comment

Brazen has to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to a fun course in the GTA. Only problem is that it's not the easiest walk.
                              Stay thirsty...my friends.

Comment

1 Eagles Nes
                                2 Woodington Lakes old course
                                3 Bond Head north
                                4 Silver Lakes
                                (haven't played Osprey)
                                5 royal Ashburn

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews