No announcement yet.
Collapse

What is the worst golf course in GTA?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the worst golf course in GTA?

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
    How many years since you last played it?
    I've only played it twice. Both times in the fall. Once this year and once last year. Both times it was in brutal condition with patches of grass and mud on the tees and fairways. The ponds (especially on hole 2) looked like open pit mines. And the layout . Even my wife thought it was a mess.
    Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by alldaybreakfast View Post
      I played in the RH Men's League this year and got in over 20 rounds. My regular membership is with GolfNow/Underpar and I get around (played over 30 other courses in Ontario last season).

In my humble opinion I can say that even though from the tips it is only 6000 yards it is a challenge. My handicap is 11 (like long walks on the beach and the soothing sounds of Michael Buble) and I can tell you Hole 5, 11, and 18 are tough holes. Also, it is not a driver/wedge course. 18 you have to hit two accurate long irons to have a chance. One of the most interesting finishing holes around. The three par three's on the front are also a challenge and hole 8 is a tough little par 4, as is hole 1.

As mentioned the place is well kept! It is right off the 407 so very accessible and hence the cost of green fees. Lastly, the Men's league is very well run and the staff is class.

No way does RH deserve to be on this list.
      Weak and unforgettable layout that leaves little to be desired after 18 holes; it definitely deserves to be there. Holes feel crammed in together and the 18th is one of the most poorly designed finishing holes I've played--especially for a par 5.

I won't comment on conditioning as I haven't been back there in over 20 years, and have no plans to. I'd sooner play Bathurst Glen with my wife, and even that place I avoid as you need a hard hat even on the driving range.

Comment

I'm not sure why Indian Wells gets a bad rap....sure it's not a premium course but it has plenty of difficulty on certain holes and the conditioning when I played it this year was good. The views are great!!

Played Crosswinds in a tournament once and although it has potential, i found that they did not condition it to be what it could have been...Maybe they do that to speed up play.
        Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
          I've only played it twice. Both times in the fall. Once this year and once last year. Both times it was in brutal condition with patches of grass and mud on the tees and fairways. The ponds (especially on hole 2) looked like open pit mines. And the layout . Even my wife thought it was a mess.
          Yes, I will grant you that, it was ONE of the worst courses affected by the drought that I played this past summer (never seen the ponds so depleted)

I think it's a fun/challenging layout, and I love starting on a Par 5 like that!
          Clubhouse, although small, was rebuilt several years ago, so it's more than adequate....and they usually have a bevy of fine looking ladies at the halfway house and/or cart girls.

Give it another shot, it's not an expensive course.

I'm guessing you didn't play/score well either!?
          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
            Yes, I will grant you that, it was ONE of the worst courses affected by the drought that I played this past summer (never seen the ponds so depleted)

I think it's a fun/challenging layout, and I love starting on a Par 5 like that!
            Clubhouse, although small, was rebuilt several years ago, so it's more than adequate....and they usually have a bevy of fine looking ladies at the halfway house and/or cart girls.

Give it another shot, it's not an expensive course.

I'm guessing you didn't play/score well either!?
            I played pretty good. Went -2 on the par 3s (almost 2 holes in one). So that was memorable. I do like about a half dozen holes. Holes 2,3,5,6, and 16 are poor layouts that include quite a dangerous traffic jam, odd green placements, and forced layups off the tees.

Funny story: this was the course where I was paired up with two older gentlemen who were using cloth golf bags and they disappeared after 3 holes leaving me by myself. I thought I was being good company

Comment

Makes sense. That being said, conditioning+layout alone determine a good/bad course for me. I can usually correctly judge a course quality by just looking at it.

Driving into Crosswinds I could tell it was a fairly nice course.
              Driving into Copper Creek I could tell it was a very nice course.
              Driving into Indian Wells I could tell it was a POS.

In all cases that first impression did not change after I played them.
              Indian wells isn't that bad of a course for what you pay although if you're not one of the 1st groups out in the morning good luck with the 5+ hour round stuck behind all the slow paced groups all over the course. I swear that every time I've played that course it must have been an "80Yrs+ play free day". Just brutally slow.

I'd rather Pay $100 for a nicely paced round than $50 for a hit and wait game.

Bantys roost is brutal but another course not mentioned that I refuse to play at is Deerfield in Oakville. It's a way overpriced cow pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by HKYBUM33 View Post
                Bantys roost is brutal but another course not mentioned that I refuse to play at is Deerfield in Oakville. It's a way overpriced cow pasture.
                +1 Also, doesn't 10 have a giant tree in front of the tee off .

Comment

+1 Also, doesn't 10 have a giant tree in front of the tee off .
                  I don't remember to be honest but it wouldn't surprise me......lol

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                    Found a nice quote that best describes my definition of 'worst'. A bad course is one that disappoints because it is promoted for or promises conditions/values/an experience that it does not possess and does not provide.
                    Hmm. Not sure I completely agree here. I think this is essentially defining a bad value or a bad experience more than a bad "course". By this logic a course like Streetsville is a 'good' just because it sets the bar low and that just doesn't seem right. In terms of an overall rating, it is an approach that penalizes a course that tries to excel and falls short but lets a course that just doesn't care off the hook.
                    Last edited by Smittyman; Dec 21, 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                      Hmm. Not sure I completely agree here. I think this is essentially defining a bad value or a bad experience more than a bad "course". By this logic a course like Streetsville is a good course just because it sets the bar low and that just doesn't seem right.
                      It's just like the handicap system...of course Lionhead Legends is a better course than Streetsville Glen. But, introduce handicapping, and Streetsville wins the net prize.
                      Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

Originally posted by mtshapcott View Post
                        It's just like the handicap system...of course Lionhead Legends is a better course than Streetsville Glen. But, introduce handicapping, and Streetsville wins the net prize.
                        I get the reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Some things are just bad - golf courses, cars - and a relativist argument doesn't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                          I get the reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Some things are just bad - golf courses, cars - and a relativist argument doesn't change that.
                          Understand but 'bad' in many cases can be subjective, just like beauty and art are.

For instance Robert Thompson hates Lionhead Legends. Yet 20 years ago it was consistently ranked as one of the 'top' courses in Canada. Some people still greatly enjoy it and it is honestly a better lay-out than many other respected courses in the GTA that get more love because they have shorter rounds, better conditioning or are more fun to play.

Personally as stated, I try to find something good in every course. Played Bushwood 3 times this year and enjoyed every round. Of course it was near the very end of the season and twice we did not see any other golfers within 4 or 5 holes, so we had a nice quick and inexpensive round.

The same with Remington Parkview. Also played it 3 times. Twice on the Upper and once on the Valley. We much prefer the Upper but the Vallley has 2 holes that would not look out of place on most courses that charge 2 or 3 times as much.

On another thread, I wrote how much I enjoy the 1st hole at Four Seasons.

Richmond Hill is not my cup of tea, but we have played it many times primarily because of its location but can never complain about its conditioning. And that is a primary concern for many golfers.

Markham Green has some great holes. But because it is 'only' a 9 hole course and is not inexpensive, many golfers do not even consider it worth playing.

And although I have not played it in 20 years, if I remember correctly even the much maligned Annandale has 2 pretty good holes.

Pace of play, conditioning, cost, lay-out, degree of difficulty, amenities/facilities, food/drink and ambience/customer service all impact on how we 'rate' a course.

Comment

I like and get frustrated by Indian Wells. But it is a fave regardless.

Parkshore not worth $7.99 may be true. It used to have something remotely resembling a clubhouse. Terrible conditions when I played it last year. Too bad because given the length it could be a gem. Many complain about the time it takes to play golf so Parkshore should be an option. It's accessible and challenging. Too bad it's now a dump.

My vote for worst would be Deerfield. Nothing good to say about it.

Comment

About 3 years ago, I was working in Brampton and our work group was looking for a team bonding celebration. So instead of the typical bowling outing, we decided to go golfing at Castlemore. On a Wed. afternoon with the course to ourselves, we had 20 people playing in groups of 5. It was me, one other regular golfer + 18 "new to golf" participants. Me and the other golfer thought it was the worst golf experience of our lives...the other 18 thought is was the best time ever.

Just depends on perspective, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                                Understand but 'bad' in many cases can be subjective, just like beauty and art are.

For instance Robert Thompson hates Lionhead Legends. Yet 20 years ago it was consistently ranked as one of the 'top' courses in Canada. Some people still greatly enjoy it and it is honestly a better lay-out than many other respected courses in the GTA that get more love because they have shorter rounds, better conditioning or are more fun to play.

Personally as stated, I try to find something good in every course. Played Bushwood 3 times this year and enjoyed every round. Of course it was near the very end of the season and twice we did not see any other golfers within 4 or 5 holes, so we had a nice quick and inexpensive round.

The same with Remington Parkview. Also played it 3 times. Twice on the Upper and once on the Valley. We much prefer the Upper but the Vallley has 2 holes that would not look out of place on most courses that charge 2 or 3 times as much.

On another thread, I wrote how much I enjoy the 1st hole at Four Seasons.

Richmond Hill is not my cup of tea, but we have played it many times primarily because of its location but can never complain about its conditioning. And that is a primary concern for many golfers.

Markham Green has some great holes. But because it is 'only' a 9 hole course and is not inexpensive, many golfers do not even consider it worth playing.

And although I have not played it in 20 years, if I remember correctly even the much maligned Annandale has 2 pretty good holes.

Pace of play, conditioning, cost, lay-out, degree of difficulty, amenities/facilities, food/drink and ambience/customer service all impact on how we 'rate' a course.
                                All fair points Arthur and I don't disagree that much of it is subjective; as soon as we introduce terms like good and bad we are talking about value judgements. However, arguing that a course isn't bad because it doesn't have any pretense otherwise doesn't seem completely reasonable to me. Saying a course was bad but at least it wasn't expensive and I finished in 2.5 hours is not the same as saying it is good.

Given the choice between playing Lionhead or Streetsville for free and with no one else on the course so pace of play is determined solely by the members in your group, I would be very surprised if many TGN members would pick Streetsville. This implies there is a qualitative difference that most of us can agree on, even if we can't always define it. Don't want to go all Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance here but it is along those lines.

And I'm very much like you, I enjoy some aspect of just about every course I play - the obvious exception having been noted here already.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X