Collapse

CGTF vs. CPGA

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CGTF vs. CPGA

Ahhhh....the ol' CGTF vs. CPGA discussion.

The CPGA is definitely the more highly regarded organization when it comes to certifying golf professionals, and has more stringent requirements for gaining CPGA designation. As one previous post stated, professionals coming out of the CPGA program are more than just instructors, they are golf pros who have gone through the course to seek a career in the golf industry. The CGTF on the other hand is only about helping people learn how to teach the game of golf.

It may not have been the original intention of this thread, but it seems to have escalated into a "which has the better instructors" discussion. Just a few points from the other posts that I'd like to bring to light:

- "But I would question why someone would choose NOT to obtain their CPGA because of the obvious benefit"

I did the CGTF just for the experience which I found enjoyable and rewarding. I have considered undergoing the CPGA process but I think Q-School hit the nail on the head that not everyone can afford to reinvest the time and money needed to obtain their CPGA card.

- "CGTF is the "unofficial" Canadian (I won't even call it professional) golf association"

Well, basically the definition of a professional is one who performs a service in exchange for money. CPGA/CGTF pros may or may not accept money for their services, but those who do are in essence, professionals.

- "CPGA: Ah....certification, recognition. Expensive yearly dues and fees, need to shoot 156 over two rounds to get your teaching card. Heirarchical structure exists (e.g., head pro, Class A pro, Assistant Pro, etc.)"

"CGTF? sorry... but you have to pay for your golf just like everybody else because you're unrecognized."

You may be surprised to know that the CGTF does operate on a heirarchical structure (equivalent to a USGTF level 4) and has a higher level of certification that includes shooting 152 over two rounds, among other requirements. The CGTF also operates under the World Golf Teacher's Federation which is not entirely unrecognized. Actually, I know people who have enjoyed the privilege of playing free golf in Asia using their CGTF designation.

Anyway, so who's got the better instructors? In my opinion, both organizations have their good and bad instructors.

Does shooting low scores and playing free golf make you a better teacher? Well then, by that token the PGA tour pros are the greatest instructors in the world, yet they hire people who are lesser players to be their swing coaches.

How important is certification anyways? I can't be certain but the most highly regarded instructors in the world (i.e Harmon, Leadbetter, Maclean, Smith, Flick, etc.) do not teach under any certification, so I guess the "Independants" are the best instructors out there huh?

Bottom line, a good instructor will be able to detect problems with a golfer's swing and can provide solutions to fix those problems to obtain the desired result. If you can get people to pay you to do that then all the power to you. Being a good instructor has nothing to do with which golf organization you belong to.

Just my $0.02

Marcus
    WITB:
    - Titleist TS3 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x)
    - A-Grind 3 Wood (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x)
    - A-Grind Utility Proto 18 degrees (ACCRA TZ6)
    - Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i
    - Mizuno JPX-919 Tour 4-PW
    - Mizuno T-20 56 & 60
    - David Whitlam SPI3 Limited Edition

Backups:
    - PING S59 3-PW (Rifle Project X 5.5)
    - Nike Forged Blades 3-PW
    - Geotech P.Blade 3-PW
    - Scotty Cameron Newport II Pro Platinum
    - Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura
    - David Whitlam Little Dog

Comment

I've highlighted my comments with a after the sentence.

Originally posted by marc757
      Ahhhh....the ol' CGTF vs. CPGA discussion.

The CPGA is definitely the more highly regarded organization when it comes to certifying golf professionals, and has more stringent requirements for gaining CPGA designation. As one previous post stated, professionals coming out of the CPGA program are more than just instructors, they are golf pros who have gone through the course to seek a career in the golf industry. The CGTF on the other hand is only about helping people learn how to teach the game of golf.

It may not have been the original intention of this thread, but it seems to have escalated into a "which has the better instructors" discussion. Just a few points from the other posts that I'd like to bring to light:

- "But I would question why someone would choose NOT to obtain their CPGA because of the obvious benefit"

I did the CGTF just for the experience which I found enjoyable and rewarding. I have considered undergoing the CPGA process but I think Q-School hit the nail on the head that not everyone can afford to reinvest the time and money needed to obtain their CPGA card.

My point exactly. People that don't invest the time and effort needed to become a highly trainned Professional at any TRADE let alone a (CPGA) pro. So when your paying for a $50 lesson or a getting a $100 hr lesson just remember what your getting for your $50 bucks. Why is it that most highly priced lawyers get the big bucks?? Because they usally get the job done!

- "CGTF is the "unofficial" Canadian (I won't even call it professional) golf association"

Well, basically the definition of a professional is one who performs a service in exchange for money. CPGA/CGTF pros may or may not accept money for their services, but those who do are in essence, professionals.

So if I changed the oil in your car that would make me a certified mechanic? Would you then trust me to change your transmission?

- "CPGA: Ah....certification, recognition. Expensive yearly dues and fees, need to shoot 156 over two rounds to get your teaching card. Heirarchical structure exists (e.g., head pro, Class A pro, Assistant Pro, etc.)"

"CGTF? sorry... but you have to pay for your golf just like everybody else because you're unrecognized."

You may be surprised to know that the CGTF does operate on a heirarchical structure (equivalent to a USGTF level 4) and has a higher level of certification that includes shooting 152 over two rounds, among other requirements. The CGTF also operates under the World Golf Teacher's Federation which is not entirely unrecognized. Actually, I know people who have enjoyed the privilege of playing free golf in Asia using their CGTF designation.

Yes I know and did you know that the CPGA also has Class A status and Master Teaching Status which again is harder to get then the higher ranked USGTF or CGTF programs!

Anyway, so who's got the better instructors? In my opinion, both organizations have their good and bad instructors.

I agree but let's get one thing straight the CPGA has much more training then the CGTF or even the USGTF. I'll agree there are even bad CPGA pro's but there are alot worse CGTF pro's. Even the good CGTF Pro's would have enough experience to become a CPGA Pro if they would take the time and effort in becoming one.

Does shooting low scores and playing free golf make you a better teacher? Well then, by that token the PGA tour pros are the greatest instructors in the world, yet they hire people who are lesser players to be their swing coaches.

I never said shooting low scores make you a better teacher but it sure does show alot more expereince on how to play and swing the club.

How important is certification anyways? I can't be certain but the most highly regarded instructors in the world (i.e Harmon, Leadbetter, Maclean, Smith, Flick, etc.) do not teach under any certification, so I guess the "Independants" are the best instructors out there huh?

Are you kidding me? Your talking about the most recgonized Golf Teaching Pro's in the world. PGA Pro's play and practice everyday that is their profession. Leadbetter, harmon and etc TEACH as a profession which is why they are the best at what they do because they do it day in day out and make the best players in the world win $$$$. They are PGA Teaching Pro's

Bottom line, a good instructor will be able to detect problems with a golfer's swing and can provide solutions to fix those problems to obtain the desired result. If you can get people to pay you to do that then all the power to you. Being a good instructor has nothing to do with which golf organization you belong to.

To a degree yes but does that mean that because I know how to cut and hammer 2x4's really good I could build your dream house and you'd pay me for it? Just like you look for a contractor you should look for a Professional. Look at the place they work the amount of golf lesson they do and the best thing you can do is if you know of someone who is taking lessons and they are getting better then try the pro out. I know alot of guys that try to teach golf but don't understand the fundamentals of the golf swing and usually teach what works for them. No one golf swing is the same but certain aspects of the golf swing are very important to have and teaching somone how to get there should be in the hands of a TRAINNED Professional with lots of experience.

My bottom line to this debate is: CGTF vs CPGA without dought your getting more for your money if you find the right CPGA golf pro then trying to find a good CGTF instructor. Overall it's most likely your going to find a higher percentage of getting a good golf lesson when you look for a CPGA pro vs a CGTF pro. I'd bet my money on the Favorites because it's rare that you'll ever when big on betting with the underdogs!

That's my Loonie!

Just my $0.02

Marcus
      MSGOLF

Comment

Hey, sorry if I've offended anyone with my opinions but I think alot of my points were missed, perhaps I wasn't clear. Judging from the style of Matt's reply, it appears that my post came accross as pro-CGTF which was far from my intention. I was merely commenting on a previous post's points which I did not totally agree with. I'll try to clear a few things up.

- "My point exactly. People that don't invest the time and effort needed to become a highly trainned Professional at any TRADE let alone a (CPGA) pro. So when your paying for a $50 lesson or a getting a $100 hr lesson just remember what your getting for your $50 bucks. Why is it that most highly priced lawyers get the big bucks?? Because they usally get the job done!"

You've missed the point. The original issue in question was why somebody would choose not to pursue their CPGA designation and I guess "settle" for a CGTF one. I agreed with Q-school that not everyone is able or willing to reinvest the time and money needed to do so. The oppurtunity costs of undergoing CPGA certification perhaps far outweigh the potential benefits. I think I've missed the point of your comment because I don't see how it relates to the original issue in question.

- "So if I changed the oil in your car that would make me a certified mechanic? Would you then trust me to change your transmission?"

I think you may have missed the point once again. This time, the question is more about what is the definition of the word professional, not wether or not you are certified. Since a previous forum member was apprehensive about calling the CGTF a "professional" organization, I simply brought to light that the essential meaning of a professional is to perform a service in exchange for monetary benefits. To simplify things, CGTF members teach golf (perform the service) and recieve money (monetary benefit) in exchange. Therefore they are professionals.

Actually, if you were extremely proficient in servicing vehicles I'd be glad to let you take care of my car.

- "Yes I know and did you know that the CPGA also has Class A status and Master Teaching Status which again is harder to get then the higher ranked USGTF or CGTF programs!"

- "I never said shooting low scores make you a better teacher but it sure does show alot more expereince on how to play and swing the club."

Your quotes are somewhat contradictory of one another. I'm well aware of the different levels of the CPGA but I was merely exposing the ignorance of a previous post which basically stated that CGTF certification is bogus because it requires a relatively weaker score of 166-170. Really, I feel that certification may be overated in some aspects. What if a person was a great teacher but a mediocre player, does that mean you throw what he/she said out the window just because they themselves are not as good at playing the game? I think anyone with that mentality would be foolish to do so. By that same token who the heck would the world's greatest players listen to?

- "Are you kidding me? Your talking about the most recgonized Golf Teaching Pro's in the world. PGA Pro's play and practice everyday that is their profession. Leadbetter, harmon and etc TEACH as a profession which is why they are the best at what they do because they do it day in day out and make the best players in the world win $$$$. They are PGA Teaching Pro's"

I'm not kidding. You may have missed the point once again. You just re-enforced my argument. My point is that they ARE recognized as the best instructors out there and that they do not teach under a governing golf organization. Once again, my point is that the quality or ability of the instructor is not dependant on his/her certification, which is why I questioned the value of certification with regards to teaching ability. These guys can flat out teach, they don't need the CPGA/CGTF/USGTF/TGNTF to do so.

I'd make sure you understand the argument before commenting. I totally agree that CPGA pros undergo far more extensive preparation in becoming professionals in the golf industry.

Marcus.

P.S. Actually I think many people have won big betting on the underdogs in the Ryder Cup for the past years.
        WITB:
        - Titleist TS3 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x)
        - A-Grind 3 Wood (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x)
        - A-Grind Utility Proto 18 degrees (ACCRA TZ6)
        - Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i
        - Mizuno JPX-919 Tour 4-PW
        - Mizuno T-20 56 & 60
        - David Whitlam SPI3 Limited Edition

Backups:
        - PING S59 3-PW (Rifle Project X 5.5)
        - Nike Forged Blades 3-PW
        - Geotech P.Blade 3-PW
        - Scotty Cameron Newport II Pro Platinum
        - Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura
        - David Whitlam Little Dog

Comment

Marc, I think we are both trying to get across similiar points and I understand yours and I think you understand mine. The quesiton was simply CGTF vs CPGA.

In my opinion the winner by far no question in my mind is the CPGA.

I've been on both sides of these associations and I problably have the best answer for this question considering I've been there. I don't think anyone else in this forum has their CGTF an CPGA certification like I do and if there is they'd be saying the same thing.

The bottom line still comes down to it's the person not the certification which makes them a good golf teacher but it's the training in which that person was taught which is what will make them a great golf teacher.

Marc your opinion is always nice to hear that's why this is called a forum.

Good luck on the underdogs!

Matthew

Originally posted by marc757
          Hey, sorry if I've offended anyone with my opinions but I think alot of my points were missed, perhaps I wasn't clear. Judging from the style of Matt's reply, it appears that my post came accross as pro-CGTF which was far from my intention. I was merely commenting on a previous post's points which I did not totally agree with. I'll try to clear a few things up.

- "My point exactly. People that don't invest the time and effort needed to become a highly trainned Professional at any TRADE let alone a (CPGA) pro. So when your paying for a $50 lesson or a getting a $100 hr lesson just remember what your getting for your $50 bucks. Why is it that most highly priced lawyers get the big bucks?? Because they usally get the job done!"

You've missed the point. The original issue in question was why somebody would choose not to pursue their CPGA designation and I guess "settle" for a CGTF one. I agreed with Q-school that not everyone is able or willing to reinvest the time and money needed to do so. The oppurtunity costs of undergoing CPGA certification perhaps far outweigh the potential benefits. I think I've missed the point of your comment because I don't see how it relates to the original issue in question.

- "So if I changed the oil in your car that would make me a certified mechanic? Would you then trust me to change your transmission?"

I think you may have missed the point once again. This time, the question is more about what is the definition of the word professional, not wether or not you are certified. Since a previous forum member was apprehensive about calling the CGTF a "professional" organization, I simply brought to light that the essential meaning of a professional is to perform a service in exchange for monetary benefits. To simplify things, CGTF members teach golf (perform the service) and recieve money (monetary benefit) in exchange. Therefore they are professionals.

Actually, if you were extremely proficient in servicing vehicles I'd be glad to let you take care of my car.

- "Yes I know and did you know that the CPGA also has Class A status and Master Teaching Status which again is harder to get then the higher ranked USGTF or CGTF programs!"

- "I never said shooting low scores make you a better teacher but it sure does show alot more expereince on how to play and swing the club."

Your quotes are somewhat contradictory of one another. I'm well aware of the different levels of the CPGA but I was merely exposing the ignorance of a previous post which basically stated that CGTF certification is bogus because it requires a relatively weaker score of 166-170. Really, I feel that certification may be overated in some aspects. What if a person was a great teacher but a mediocre player, does that mean you throw what he/she said out the window just because they themselves are not as good at playing the game? I think anyone with that mentality would be foolish to do so. By that same token who the heck would the world's greatest players listen to?

- "Are you kidding me? Your talking about the most recgonized Golf Teaching Pro's in the world. PGA Pro's play and practice everyday that is their profession. Leadbetter, harmon and etc TEACH as a profession which is why they are the best at what they do because they do it day in day out and make the best players in the world win $$$$. They are PGA Teaching Pro's"

I'm not kidding. You may have missed the point once again. You just re-enforced my argument. My point is that they ARE recognized as the best instructors out there and that they do not teach under a governing golf organization. Once again, my point is that the quality or ability of the instructor is not dependant on his/her certification, which is why I questioned the value of certification with regards to teaching ability. These guys can flat out teach, they don't need the CPGA/CGTF/USGTF/TGNTF to do so.

I'd make sure you understand the argument before commenting. I totally agree that CPGA pros undergo far more extensive preparation in becoming professionals in the golf industry.

Marcus.

P.S. Actually I think many people have won big betting on the underdogs in the Ryder Cup for the past years.
          MSGOLF

Comment

hmm this is all very informative. I never knew that the CGTF designation even existed before I read about it on this thread.

Based on what I've read there is a lot of discussion and debate about which Assocation is better and also which instructors are better. I've read a lot of car analogies. So let me use a "school teacher" analogy to clarify if I understand this debate. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I will compare the number of teaching years and professional accreditations of elementary school teachers and university professors. So in my analogy, the CGTF instructors are like to elementary school teachers and CPGA instructors are like University professors.

From the point of view of a beginner golfer, only interested in learning the basics and improving on my swing, I want to build a foundation of golf knowledge. I don't think it matters how long the teacher has been teaching or how they obtained their certification. I don't think I am at the level to absorb the teachings of what a CPGA instructor would be teaching me. As a beginner golfer, I am only interested in improving my game but within realistic expectations. I don't expect my lessons to turn me into a scratch golfer. I don't think that it is worth it for me to spend $1000s of dollars on lessons. I only want to correct my swing and get more consistent drives or putts in my game. If a CGTF instructor can do this for less money then that is all I care about. After all I'm not trying out for the LPGA tour. However, if I was a parent and wanted my son or daughter to grow up to become the next Tiger or Michele Wie...then maybe I would choose to invest in his or her golf education by enrolling him or her with lessons from a CPGA instructor.
            You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
            Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
            Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
            Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen of the Beach
              hmm this is all very informative. I never knew that the CGTF designation even existed before I read about it on this thread.

Based on what I've read there is a lot of discussion and debate about which Assocation is better and also which instructors are better. I've read a lot of car analogies. So let me use a "school teacher" analogy to clarify if I understand this debate. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I will compare the number of teaching years and professional accreditations of elementary school teachers and university professors. So in my analogy, the CGTF instructors are like to elementary school teachers and CPGA instructors are like University professors.

From the point of view of a beginner golfer, only interested in learning the basics and improving on my swing, I want to build a foundation of golf knowledge. I don't think it matters how long the teacher has been teaching or how they obtained their certification. I don't think I am at the level to absorb the teachings of what a CPGA instructor would be teaching me. As a beginner golfer, I am only interested in improving my game but within realistic expectations. I don't expect my lessons to turn me into a scratch golfer. I don't think that it is worth it for me to spend $1000s of dollars on lessons. I only want to correct my swing and get more consistent drives or putts in my game. If a CGTF instructor can do this for less money then that is all I care about. After all I'm not trying out for the LPGA tour. However, if I was a parent and wanted my son or daughter to grow up to become the next Tiger or Michele Wie...then maybe I would choose to invest in his or her golf education by enrolling him or her with lessons from a CPGA instructor.
              QB,

I would say that the CPGA instructor is the elementary school teacher (with certification from the Ontario College of Teachers along with their Bachelor's Degree in Education) and the CGTF is the graduate of the "Crash Course in Education" (one does not exist). The CGTF can't get a job teaching at schools because they require all their teachers to be accredited.

CPGAs (like any good instructor) can teach at any level, from the beginner learning the ropes to the advanced scratch golfer trying to fine tune his/her game. I think if you care enough about your golf game to actually go out and spend money on lessons, spend money with the certified professionals.

Kev

PS: I'm an elementary school teacher with a Master's Degree in Education. Some elementary school teachers have as much education as some university professors!
              WITB:
              Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
              3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
              2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
              4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
              56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
              60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
              Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

My only qualifications to judge the quality of golf teaching are being around the game for 43 years, being a low digit handicapper and having studied the teachings of scores of instructors from past to present, so my opinions might be readily dismissed.

Perhaps the GTA has a greater number of good teachers than the Ottawa area, however, if the quality of lessons that I have taken/witnessed/heard here, is similar to the GTA, the golf teaching profession is in sad shape. If the average RCGA handicap index has improved by less than 1 in over 50 years, and with all the modern day equipment that is making the game so much easier, does this not at least partly reflect the quality of the teaching skills out there?

If you check my last post on Golf-mythology, you will see a number of expressions than many/most of the instructors use in their teaching, that are just not true. You "turn the shoulders," "you cock the wrists," "you stay behind the ball," "you shift your weight," "power comes from the big muscles," etc., all of which focus the mind of the golfer on the wrong, little tiny part of the body, that needs to move just so, in order to achieve the desired results. No wonder golfers' progress is so slow. How many golf instructors teach golfers what to think about, while they are actually swinging the golf club? Most probably suggest that the golfer think about some specific swing key, that will lead him/her to success.

Regardless of how the person gets qualified to teach, one would think that they would have sufficient knowledge of the physics of a golf swing that leads to straight shots, before they learned how to communicate what to do or feel. Most instruction is still based on perception and feeling. Studying the swings of the great players, finding out what they felt or what they felt they were doing, is still the basis of modern day instruction. The success of Jack Nicklaus did not help. When he became great, all of a sudden an extremely upright backswing was taught.(Yes, I am that old) But no-one taught us that we needed superior, world class, athletic talent, to compensate for this fault on the way down to get the club into a position that would fly the ball on a reasonable line. It seems that to becoming a CPGA professional requires more extensive training than the CGTF, but regardless, if the professional lacks sufficient knowledge of the swing, how can he be an effective teacher?

Many think that because Harmon, Leadbetter, MacLean, etc., have Tour professionals in their stable, that they are the best teachers. Puleeese. Dean Reimuth? These guys and some of what they profess, are the reasons why the average smuck makes little progress. Just listen to MacLeans 8 step swing, 16 corollaries, 64 sub-corollaries, and tell me he is a great teacher. How about his "X" factor! How many good golfers has Leadbetter ruined? It's criminal that Michelle Wie is in his camp. I hope that she does well in spite of him, because she sure won't do well because of him. However, hats off to these guys for being successful marketers of their stuff and nonsense. They would make great vacuum cleaner salesman.

I still say that the best teachers are you guys that are found at the small ranges and golf academys, not at the posh private clubs and on TV. You have studied the golf swing extensively, separated the BS from the truth, and worked on communicating the correct knowledge and feelings to those who come to you. Keep up the good work.

The only name professional whose work I have studied, and whose knowledge and opinions I respect, is MARK EVERSHED. And he is one of yours, Toronto.

Comment

Wow this is definitely a very hot topic
                  Lets take this example, you decide to learn a new musical instrument, would you need to go hire a teacher from Juilliard (costing at least 3 times as much as someone that graduate from Royal Conservatory of Music)? I think not. At least not right away.

Originally posted by Special_K
                  QB,

I would say that the CPGA instructor is the elementary school teacher (with certification from the Ontario College of Teachers along with their Bachelor's Degree in Education) and the CGTF is the graduate of the "Crash Course in Education" (one does not exist). The CGTF can't get a job teaching at schools because they require all their teachers to be accredited.

CPGAs (like any good instructor) can teach at any level, from the beginner learning the ropes to the advanced scratch golfer trying to fine tune his/her game. I think if you care enough about your golf game to actually go out and spend money on lessons, spend money with the certified professionals.

Kev

PS: I'm an elementary school teacher with a Master's Degree in Education. Some elementary school teachers have as much education as some university professors!
                  Michael

Comment

Michael,

You can hire a CPGA professional from $50/hr to $250/hr or you can hire a CGTF professional at $50/hr to $120/hr. Now choose?

Originally posted by Michael
                    Wow this is definitely a very hot topic
                    Lets take this example, you decide to learn a new musical instrument, would you need to go hire a teacher from Juilliard (costing at least 3 times as much as someone that graduate from Royal Conservatory of Music)? I think not. At least not right away.
                    MSGOLF

Comment

Originally posted by MSGOLF
                      Michael,

You can hire a CPGA professional from $50/hr to $250/hr or you can hire a CGTF professional at $50/hr to $120/hr. Now choose?
                      find me a CPGA that costs semi private (2 ppl) $90 per person for 5 one hour lessons and I'd love to take lessons from a CPGA then
                      Michael

Comment

I'm sure you can find a new CPGA Assistant and a golf range that is looking for new golf clients that have lower rates. But you've answered the question of CGTF VS CPGA by saying, "You'd prefer a CPGA Pro" That's all the question is asking. It's not asking who's price points are better it's asking if you had a choice from a CGTF Pro to a CPGA Pro who would you pick.

Thanks

find me a CPGA that costs semi private (2 ppl) $90 per person for 5 one hour lessons and I'd love to take lessons from a CPGA then
                        MSGOLF

Comment

Originally posted by MSGOLF
                          I'm sure you can find a new CPGA Assistant and a golf range that is looking for new golf clients that have lower rates. But you've answered the question of CGTF VS CPGA by saying, "You'd prefer a CPGA Pro" That's all the question is asking. It's not asking who's price points are better it's asking if you had a choice from a CGTF Pro to a CPGA Pro who would you pick.

Thanks
                          if the price was equal sure I would pick the CPGA Pro...I don't think anyone is disputing that. We already know who has more training, which association is more prestigious and which is harder to get into and blah blah blah and so on.

However, the CGTF is an alternative to a CPGA that costs significantly less and does a decent job to a point.
                          Michael

Comment

However, the CGTF is an alternative to a CPGA that costs significantly less and does a decent job to a point.
                            I'd have to agree with Michael on this point.....I don't think there would be many to dispute that a CPGA Pro would make for a better instructor than a CGTF with all the rigorous training that they go through and the experience that they acquire......

But to the avg or middle/lower income individual it would always boil down to cost.....can I afford lessons from a CPGA Pro on an on-going basis? For myself probably not.......would CGTF make for a good alternative? It might seem so......unless there was a better alternative that I am not familiar with.....
                            Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Originally posted by Ego Woods
                              I'd have to agree with Michael on this point.....I don't think there would be many to dispute that a CPGA Pro would make for a better instructor than a CGTF with all the rigorous training that they go through and the experience that they acquire......

But to the avg or middle/lower income individual it would always boil down to cost.....can I afford lessons from a CPGA Pro on an on-going basis? For myself probably not.......would CGTF make for a good alternative? It might seem so......unless there was a better alternative that I am not familiar with.....
                              And it really boils down to how serious you are about the game. Can anybody truly afford on-going lessons with a CPGA pro? Probably not unless you're filthy rich. Some people even hire a private swing coach for thousands of dollars a year but is this a realistic option for most? No way.

But the point is this and I've said it many times. If you care enough about your game to want to spend money on lessons, save up a little more and spend it on a CPGA professional. There isn't a need for on-going lessons. We're not trying to join the PGA tour here. What is somewhat viable is a series of lessons (e.g., 5 throughout the season) with a CPGA pro. Many of them offer package prices!

Take a lesson, go practice for a while, go play some. Come back, take another lesson ,etc. How effective is this you might ask? Well extremely I found. Instead of spending money on a new driver, I took those series of lessons with a CPGA pro a couple of seasons ago. This resulted in my greatest improvement in my golf game ever. I found it extremely helpful to take a lesson, absorb, go work on things and then come back. With 5 lessons spread out throughout the season, I felt as if I constantly had a coach monitoring my swing.

Thus, I think there is your option. Nobody I know can afford a CPGA instructor 365days of the year. For a few hundred dollars though, you can get private lessons spaced throughout a season. Less than the price of that fancy new driver you might have been eyeing!

PS: Mike, 90 bucks per person for 5 lessons for 2 people? I wouldn't teach you for that little That is just dirt cheap!
                              WITB:
                              Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
                              3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
                              2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
                              4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
                              56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
                              60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
                              Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

can i assume that the difference between the USGTF and CGTF is the same as that of the CTGF and CPGA?
                                Jaydog

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X