Collapse

Golf Shoes and Orthotics for foot pain

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Shoes and Orthotics for foot pain

The doctor said I need prescription orthotics for some foot pain that I get with walking the golf course. Anyone use these in their shoes and do they help? where did you get them? He said most physios, chiros and podiatrists cast them.

Another question ,when you start feeling the the spikes pressing into your feet is it a sign the shoes are done or you just need a new insole for extra padding?

Re: Golf Shoes and Orthotics for foot pain

I've been wearing orthotics for a number of years and find they make a big difference. I have a pair in an Ecco golf shoe. You've got it right as to wear to get them. If you have health insurance through work they might be covered. Have them made from a cast of your foot. You should find they help alot.

Comment

Last year I got them because my feet (my heels) would really hurt after walking a round. He mentioned something about the ligaments in my feet and that after the round there would be swelling and fluid form in the heel area. The pain was from the pressure on the fluid and it would go away after the fluid would disperse.

I wore them for a short while in my golf shoes (my wife still does) and I still wear them in my running shoes. They did work, but I could not find a pair of golf shoes that the orthotics did not squeak in. I couldn't stand the squeaking and took them out. They did help my feet and I now play pain free.
      Sometimes starting at the end, is the key to finding the beginning.

Comment

Orthotics are what allow me to walk for 18 holes. A couple of years ago my feet, primarily my left, hurt so much by the end of the year that I could not walk a golf course and if I tried by about half way through the back nine my foot would be so sore that I couldn't swing properly.
        My first set of orthotics that I got from my chiropractor did not work for me. The system that he uses has you stand on a scanner connected to a computer which then takes the necessary info and sends it off to the orthotic manufacturer. This method may work for some individuals but it didn't work for me. When I wore them at work instead of having a sore left foot like usual, both of my feet would hurt after a few hours.
        The next and present pair that I have came from a chiropodist. He had me lay on my stomach with my feet hanging over the edge of the bed and then took casts of both feet. This method takes a true cast of your feet before they are deformed by standing on them. He also took numerous measurements and watched my walk from all angles to gather as much info as possible to make sure the custom orthotics were truly custom made for me.
        I use these orthotics in all my shoes except my biking shoes. My feet are much better and I can now walk for a full 18 holes which I prefer over riding.
        When I shop for new golf shoes I always try them with the orthotics in them at the store to make sure of the fit.
        From my experience I would suggest seeing a chiropodist or podiatrist as the foot is their area of expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhs View Post
          Orthotics are what allow me to walk for 18 holes. A couple of years ago my feet, primarily my left, hurt so much by the end of the year that I could not walk a golf course and if I tried by about half way through the back nine my foot would be so sore that I couldn't swing properly.
          My first set of orthotics that I got from my chiropractor did not work for me. The system that he uses has you stand on a scanner connected to a computer which then takes the necessary info and sends it off to the orthotic manufacturer. This method may work for some individuals but it didn't work for me. When I wore them at work instead of having a sore left foot like usual, both of my feet would hurt after a few hours.
          The next and present pair that I have came from a chiropodist. He had me lay on my stomach with my feet hanging over the edge of the bed and then took casts of both feet. This method takes a true cast of your feet before they are deformed by standing on them. He also took numerous measurements and watched my walk from all angles to gather as much info as possible to make sure the custom orthotics were truly custom made for me.
          I use these orthotics in all my shoes except my biking shoes. My feet are much better and I can now walk for a full 18 holes which I prefer over riding.
          When I shop for new golf shoes I always try them with the orthotics in them at the store to make sure of the fit.
          From my experience I would suggest seeing a chiropodist or podiatrist as the foot is their area of expertise.
          you're dead on, my experience exactly. Had orthotics done the computer way as you mentioned but they were crap. You have to get them done by a proper chiropodist whose specialy is feet, not a chiropractor who does it as a sideline addon business.

As for my new orthotics... well i have badly mangled ankles, and before I couldn't walk 18 or even close to it without pain. Now it's no problem at all and it feels uncomfortable WITHOUT them. They reduced my lower back and knee pain too. I have foot joys and the orthotics are great, the only thing was I needed to get shoes a half size bigger than normal...
          ** I do not claim responsibility for any of the preceding opinions because I am legally insane - Hombre Lefty

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
            The doctor said I need prescription orthotics for some foot pain that I get with walking the golf course. Anyone use these in their shoes and do they help? where did you get them? He said most physios, chiros and podiatrists cast them.

Another question ,when you start feeling the the spikes pressing into your feet is it a sign the shoes are done or you just need a new insole for extra padding?
            You might need a golf shoe which is low in the heel, so once you take out the factor insole and add the orthotics it is more of a normal hight. Get it too high and more weight shifts to the toes, for poorer shot making.
            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

I wear them mostly at work, due to the fact I do a lot of walking on cement. Never felt the need to wear on the course though, haven't had any problems. As mentioned in a few responses, it is very important you go to someone who knows what they are doing and with the proper equipment. Someone who can do a computer scan and can see the various levels of pressure throughout your feet, I go to Applied Biomechanics in Guelph. My wife runs and went to a different person, didn't have the same results and her feet were still sore which in turn gave here leg - back problems.
              Good luck
              Cheers
              Ping G410 10.5*
              Taylormade M6 3W
              Callaway Diablo Edge 5W
              TaylorMade P790 4 - PW
              Ping Glide Stealth 50*
              Ping Glide Stealth 54*
              Cleveland 588 RTX LW 58*
              Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

I've developed plantar fasciitis and recently got orthotocs through my local BioPed store. They took a foam impression of both feet and I had hard heel orthotocs made instead of the complete insole. They fit into any shoe and do not make noise. Still getting used to them and haven't worn them for golf yet, but they fit into brand new Nike Air Zoom Elite IIs no problem.
                WITB
                PING G10 10.5º PL Red S
                PING G10 17º TFC 129F S
                PING G10 21º TFC 129H S
                PING G10 4-UW AWT Steel S
                PING Tour-W Black Nickel 54º & 58º
                PING Redwood Anser
                Srixon Z-Star

Comment

My fiance is a registered orthotist, and I have been wearing orthotics in my golf shoes for two years now. Not only do they help my feet, but also my knees, hips, and back. Go to your family doctor to get a referral for orthotics, and then go to a registered orthotic clinic (there are a bunch around town). Makes a huge difference if you experience pain in your feet, knees, hips, or back following a round.

Comment

I see nobody wants to talk about the cost for these inserts... 400.00+ I have heard 550.00 from some people. I think it's a bit steep for what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by DashRipRock View Post
                      I see nobody wants to talk about the cost for these inserts... 400.00+ I have heard 550.00 from some people. I think it's a bit steep for what you get.
                      That's what they cost... if you needed them and had coverage through your employer, no big deal. Do you refuse dental work, because it's expensive?
                      WITB
                      PING G10 10.5º PL Red S
                      PING G10 17º TFC 129F S
                      PING G10 21º TFC 129H S
                      PING G10 4-UW AWT Steel S
                      PING Tour-W Black Nickel 54º & 58º
                      PING Redwood Anser
                      Srixon Z-Star

Comment

There are cheaper alternatives if you don't have the money for custom. A foot clinic that I visited told me I need minor support for plantar fasciitis but didn't feel I needed to spend $500 on custom molded orthotics. They recommended Birkenstock inserts for about $50. I have them in my golf shoes and they are very comfortable and supportive. I've been planning to buy a few more for my street shoes.

Softmoc carries a selection. I have the blue heel insert.

SoftMoc respects your privacy, and we have formal & strict policies in place on how we protect your information. Free Shipping, Free Exchanges & Easy Returns. Over 135 stores across Canada.

Comment

I'm guessing if you don't have insurance coverage you might be able to get a better deal on orthotics. I also find it hard to believe they cost as much as they do.

Comment

Originally posted by north ridge View Post
                            That's what they cost... if you needed them and had coverage through your employer, no big deal. Do you refuse dental work, because it's expensive?
                            Yes I do. Surprisingly the dentist always seems to be able to come up with a cheaper price or procedure. Sorry I don't feel just because it's covered under my medical benefits that price is no object.

Comment

I have a serious ankle problem. Doctor has already performed surgery and I need to use a cart for golf. Even using a cart, when I'm finished I have a problem walking. I have just been fitted for orthonics and they do cost $400.00 to be fit. Stay tuned for my next update about using them.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X