/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

How can I stop chunking with my irons???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can I stop chunking with my irons???

Originally posted by ethandelacroix
    This is the part of my game that kills me every single round. I feel that when I hit my shots well and clean they all go where and how far I want them to go...
    To me, the bolded part of the above is a clue as to why you hit fat shots. If you try to pick the ball CLEAN, you can easily hit it fat. Good shots result when you hit DOWN on the ball, taking a divot AFTER ball contact. Hitting down on the inside back of the ball allows you to retain the flex in the back of the right hand, which will cause the hands to be slightly ahead of the ball at impact.

Secondly, instead of YOU shifting your weight forward, an essential move, hitting down on the ball will GET your weight shifted. Playing the ball farther back in your stance does not really help because there is then NO NEED for the weight to get shifted, and you will still hit it fat. In fact, and AS A DRILL, play the ball farther forward, and this will FORCE you to move the lower body forward to be able to get to the ball.

Because you hit fat shots you now have a fear of hitting fat shots. To control this fear you need some success so I would suggest that you practice short chip shots until you hit the ball first and scuff the ground afterword. Then move on to short pitches, 50 yards shots and then to full swings.

Two similar teaching aids come to mind. Mark Evershed's "Power Click," http://www.markevershedgolf.com/inde...owse&pageid=33
    and the "TacTic."
    http://www.golfaroundtheworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=47&osCsid=dd50574b6c7 222020718e46ab847861d
    Both are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
      I would suggest that you practice short chip shots until you hit the ball first and scuff the ground afterword. Then move on to short pitches, 50 yards shots and then to full swings.
      I started doing this in my short game near the end of the season and got very good results. Sometimes to help hitting down on the ball instead of picking it up into the air, I'd focus my eyes on a spot like an inch in front of the ball and pretend I was hitting to that.
      What's in the Bag:
      Infinity Propulsion 460 9* Accra/Axiv XT70 M4
      Tour Edge Exotics 15* Accra HF M4
      Titleist 585.H 19* Accra HF M4
      Titleist 585.H 21* Accra HF M4
      Taylor Made 300 Forged, Lehman Box Toes, E21 5.5
      Tourstage Z101 4-PW Project X 5.5
      Yes! Dianna UST Frequency filtered and counterbalanced.
      Sonartec Proto T35 54/60 wedges

All body parts and piercings performed at Swank Studios

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I will try a bunch of these tips as soon as I get a chance to go to Launch.

I will try to start of with chips and go to my longer clubs...

Yes Tour, I do always try and hit clean shots so I don't hit my shots fat. I tried before to hit more down on the ball and after a couple of shots I started hitting really fat.

I will try Wayland's train of thought which is think of hitting in front of the ball...

I'll give you all updates asap...

Thanks.

Miles
        My Tools of the Trade...

Cleveland 400cc w/ Fujikura 360 from F.T.G.
        Nak 3 wood w/ T.T. reg flex shaft
        Nak #3 and #4 with irod Shafts Swaained...
        Nak NX-5's 5-pw w/Accra Tour 5.5 Rifles Swaained...
        Cleveland 588 53,56,60
        Odyssey White Hot #5 Putter...

Comment

Originally posted by ethandelacroix
          I tried before to hit more down on the ball and after a couple of shots I started hitting really fat.
          This is GOLF, where a couple of shots does not make a change. Try a couple of thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by hogannut
            I go by the rule of thumb that the hands should remain still at all times. They will naturally cock at the top of the swing and should release naturally at the correct point IF your downswing incoporates big muscle movement. In terms of keeping your body ahead of you hands I would recommend you trying to hit the ball hard using a 3/4 swing than trying to finese a full shot. If you are hitting a "knock down" shot try moving the ball back in you stance a wee bit and "HIT" the back of the ball HARD. Now you will have to have a bit more of a forward press with your hands on this shot to compensate for the ball position.

This shot takes some practice, but if done properly will result in a lower more boring ball flight that should spin like crazy, one hop and stop! Your divot should be larger than normal, BUT the divot STARTS at the back of the ball, not an inch behind it like what happens when you hit it fat.

l love hitting those 75 yard knock downs, and your plan should be to get it close and allow the opportunity for a 1 putt.
            Great advice and well described. I love the knockdown, especially downwind, I feel i can control distance better into a green. Funny thing though, If my knockdown shots are working great I hit regular shots a "hair" fat. I suspect that there is an adjustment or two I forget due to comfortablity addressing the ball. That or my softspikes have worn out.

Comment

First of all... get yourself on a plane and down to my neck of the woods. We'll take care of your chunky swing action once you get here.
              Bag o' Trix

Ping G5 10.5, 15, 18
              Ping S59 3-9
              Vokey Oil Cans 50, 56, 60
              Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3
              Titleist Pro V1

Comment

BUT the divot STARTS at the back of the ball, not an inch behind it like what happens when you hit it fat.

I'd be happy with an inch behind, it's 6 inches that kill me. I've hit divots farther than the ball

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X