Theoretical Max. Driver Distance ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretical Max. Driver Distance ?

Hi all

Did a bit of searching, but did not find anything definitive/concrete.
    I'm interested if given the swing speed alone, there is either calculated or measured absolute max. achievable driver distance in ideal conditions, and all parameters of the driver, swing and ball selected/tuned to absolute optimum to achieve this distance (loft, length, weight, angle of attack, and so on).

To me, this should be an interesting topic to learn/research.

ATB TO ALL AND CHEERS !

Re: Theoretical Max. Driver Distance ?

If you have a perfect smash factor then a 100mph swing should create 150 mph ball speed. I'm sure there is an equation where you punch in the other parameters.
    MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Trackman website actually has a driver fitting optimization chart

you can see from the chart with 100 mph swing speed, a positive angle of attack (hit on the up swing) and a minimized backspin you're looking at 247 carry and 272 with roll out. with ball speed being 148mph, that's almost a perfect smash factor of 1.50

Comment

Originally posted by spinaltap View Post
        Trackman website actually has a driver fitting optimization chart

you can see from the chart with 100 mph swing speed, a positive angle of attack (hit on the up swing) and a minimized backspin you're looking at 247 carry and 272 with roll out. with ball speed being 148mph, that's almost a perfect smash factor of 1.50
        Interesting indeed, thanks so much !

Now, a quick question: the chart doesn't show the physical driver loft (the one stamped on the driver), but instead, it shows "angle of attack" and the "dynamic loft". Am i assuming correctly that the physical driver loft can be deducted as Dynamic Loft minus the Angle of Attack ?

Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
          Interesting indeed, thanks so much !

Now, a quick question: the chart doesn't show the physical driver loft (the one stamped on the driver), but instead, it shows "angle of attack" and the "dynamic loft". Am i assuming correctly that the physical driver loft can be deducted as Dynamic Loft minus the Angle of Attack ?

Cheers !
          That makes sense, but I can't say for certain. That's almost too easy to calculate. From Trackman's website
          Dynamic Loft is the amount of loft on the club face at impact. The golfer’s attack angle, how the shaft bends, how the golfer releases the club head, whether the club face is open or closed to the club path, and where the ball makes contact on the club face can all impact the dynamic loft.

So the shaft bend and club face angle plays a role in dynamic loft, so I don't think we can just say dynamic - AOA = loft of driver.
          Last edited by spinaltap; Dec 20, 2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

You might enjoy this from Flightscope. You can play around with the numbers all you want and it will spit out the final distance numbers for you:
            FlightScope's Trajectory Optimizer is a golf ball flight trajectory program. The program will plot the flight of the ball in real time after the user's input of the initial launch conditions of the golf ball. Based on scientific algorithms, FlightScope's Trajectory Optimizer will help you find your optimal ball flight trajectory to add distance to your golf shots.

Comment

I see that gridiron beat me to it.

As for your question you can have 3 players achieve identical distance and characteristics with different lofts etc. It would be dependant on there swing.

There is no best loft etc based on your swing speed. It will be about hitting optimal numbers based on the way you deliver the coubhead to the ball.

If you look at the trackman charts you'll notice that at all swing speeds they change distances based on AOA. That is true. However that's where a tweak in loft and or shaft to affect launch and spin can help. It is true however with a negative AOA it will be impossible to get a high enough launch angle with low enough spin to optimize distance.

However if you're near 0 to +1 vs +5 that's where loft etc can make a big diff.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                You might enjoy this from Flightscope. You can play around with the numbers all you want and it will spit out the final distance numbers for you:
                http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/
                I'm probably missing things here, but it's asking me to enter parameters that i want to find out, and NOT to input, no ?

My only "knowns" are:
                1. physical loft as stamped on the driver head
                2. angle of atack

Or maybe, the 1. and 2. can be combined into Dynamic Loft ?

i'm assuming perfectly square face at impact and center of the face, of course.

Comment

Think you are missing the point.

You can have 2 players both with the Same digitally measured head of say 10.5* loft and both have the same positive attack angle of say +3

Both can deliver different dynamic loft even though they have same loft, same shaft, same AOA, but different swings.

Your first post about swing speed only and getting max results then the trackman charts are best. How u get those numbers can happen numerous ways with different lofted drivers etc

Also you're talking max distance in which regards? Max carry or max total (carry+roll)? Getting mad total IMO is pointless and you should always want max carry.

If I had options
                  1) carry 260 total 265
                  2) carry 240 total 280

I'd take option 1 all day every day as roll is u reliable and too many outside factors (weather conditions hole layout etc can effect roll)
                  Last edited by Jasonp; Dec 20, 2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Ok, after "overheating" Google Servers for the last half hour, i have a (definitive) but intermediate finding, if any one is interested.

Instead of concentrating on the driver specs, it's the golf ball parameters that are unique and provide only one possible OPTIMUM AND UNIQUE combination as follows.

The three (3) essential ball parameters are:

1. Initial speed
                    2. Launch angle
                    3. Back spin

For a specific golfer, 1. cannot be easily increased so will leave that alone, thus leaving 2. and 3. to adjust as per following table:

Optimal distance table
                    Ball Speed Kmph Verticle Launch Degrees Back Spin rate (RMP)
                    286 9.5 to 11 2450 to 2650
                    272 12 to 13.5 2750 to 3200
                    256 12.5 to 14 3000 to 3300
                    240 13 to 15 3300 to 3550
                    224 14 to 16 3500 to 3800
                    208 15 to 17 3750 to 3900 my note: in "our" units, this is for 129 mph ball speed which translates to 86 mph club head speed
                    192 15.5 to 17.5 3750 to 3900
                    176 15.5 to 17.5 3800 to 4050
                    160 16 to 18.5 3900 to 4200

Now, the question is how to best/easiest obtain (thru driver loft and/or angle of attack) the 2. and 3. to fit the above table

cheers !
                    Last edited by veryold; Dec 20, 2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Don't mean to burst your bubble but that chart is way off. Even if u wanna maximize carry. Those spin numbers are a touch on the high side. All by 500-800 too high to be considered optimal.

It's simple go in the foightscope optimizer posted and drop them 500 but leave ballspeed and launch angle the same. Carry increases by 3-5y (not the end all be all) but if you're looking for max carry that chart is way off.
                      The charts posted in this Wishon Article are much more accurate

It is a great education as a clubhead and shaft designer to scan through GolfWRX forum posts to listen to what golfers think about their equipment. One of the areas that seems to have developed momentum on GolfWRX is how many golfers react to a backspin measurement on a launch monitor. They try to find […]

Comment

Now, the question is how to best/easiest obtain (thru driver loft and/or angle of attack) the 2. and 3. to fit the above table
                        What would you consider humanly possible to create 2. And 3. Example. Can someone hit up on a ball 45° with a 0° driver?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRyan1789 View Post
                          What would you consider humanly possible to create 2. And 3. Example. Can someone hit up on a ball 45° with a 0° driver?
                          well, with a 3' high tee, maybe

Comment

Increasing club face angle 1 degree will increase ball spin approx. 350 rpm. Spin is typically the enemy, more spin means more drag, more drag means less distance. (though not always, you need enough spin to keep ball in the air)

Increasing angle of attack will always result in more distance (assumes if angle of attack gets too high you would then decrease driver loft and thus increase smash factor and hit it further)

Comment

well, with a 3' high tee, maybe
                              So its legally not possible.

So given the golf rules, you cannot humanly generate maximized numbers.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X