No announcement yet.
Collapse

What is the worst golf course in GTA?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the worst golf course in GTA?

Please add "Dearfield" to your list - an absolute goat pasture

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
      Royal Ashburn.

I can handle everything else.
      Most of the guys I know haven't been there since it was called "Turdbird"!!

Comment

Originally posted by spas1 View Post
        Please add "Dearfield" to your list - an absolute goat pasture
        I have played Deerfield only twice, but I enjoyed it both times. It's a rather straightforward design, but that's ok as long as conditioning is decent, and it was in 2014/2015. Maybe it's dropped off this year?

I enjoyed the adventure of trying to find the men's room in the clubhouse.
        Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

Originally posted by devlin View Post
          Well as I stated its all subjective.
          I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings
          Brae Ben is a dog patch because you have to play it when conditions are perfect and your game is in perfect condition.
          It tries to be a links course but doesn't succeed at that. The double blind forced carries are difficult if you don't know the course. It's extremely punishing with the Out of Bound areas. God help you if the wind is blowing, actually the wind is always blowing. Drainage is weak, I guess due to the limitations of the golf course design.
          It was a bold plan to build a golf course on top of a garbage dump, perhaps they should of planted some more trees. The experiment continues with Brae Ben, however I would give it a C- grade.
          Hey Devlin, no feelings hurt. I like Braeben for the very reasons you seem to hold against it . It's a short course, so it needs something to defend par. Blind shots, wind, out of bounds, and knee high fescue make up for the absence of yardage.
          Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

Bantys Roost is clearly the worst course in this neck of the woods. I played there with 2 novice golfers and a kid with very low expectations and it did not disappoint in that sense.

Another one is Annandale, but I've been back there multiple times as it is super cheap, open late in season and layout is actually interesting. Just the conditioning and pace of play reaally sucks.

Another one that sucks the big one is Bloomington Downs owned by Miller Group (huge government contractors road paving, garbage etc) probably built for employees and storing building supplies till they tear it down for something else. Just a dump but great if you're looking to score low to build self esteem lol.
            Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
            Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Empire Springs (just past Hamilton)
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                Royal Ashburn.

I can handle everything else.
                I'm really glad someone else feels that way. I had to be on site a few times this season and had the opportunity to play RA for free twice this year. In both cases I left the clubs in the car. I know there are worse courses, but I cannot stand RA. I would sooner play Winchester or Annandale (I have played both a handful of times these past couple of seasons....and dished out my own cash for the 'pleasure') than kill my love for the game by playing Ashburn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBananaSlice View Post
                  I'm really glad someone else feels that way. I had to be on site a few times this season and had the opportunity to play RA for free twice this year. In both cases I left the clubs in the car. I know there are worse courses, but I cannot stand RA. I would sooner play Winchester or Annandale (I have played both a handful of times these past couple of seasons....and dished out my own cash for the 'pleasure') than kill my love for the game by playing Ashburn.
                  You can't be serious. There are those who think RA it the best thing there is, I don't subscribe to that but I definitely don't think it's in the bottom of the list. It's one one of the most challenging clubs in southern ontario, hosted CPGA qualifiers for many a years, it's certainly not a dog track.
                  Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                  Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
                    You can't be serious. There are those who think RA it the best thing there is, I don't subscribe to that but I definitely don't think it's in the bottom of the list. It's one one of the most challenging clubs in southern ontario, hosted CPGA qualifiers for many a years, it's certainly not a dog track.
                    People have different criteria I guess. A course being "challenging" is not one of mine. People seem to like Indian Wells because it is challenging. IMO it is a muddy POS with sh$tty conditions and a wasteland look to it compared to courses just down the street.
                    Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

I don't think it's a dog track at all, but I do think it is the worst course around.

The layout is just so messy and poorly conceived. I remember walking the course last year (like I said I had to be there, but would rather just wander around without being forced to hit balls) and couldn't shake the feeling that some sort of bunker monster wandered the land taking huge, splattery, dumps in the most random spots. And those poops have now crusted over and become dated fossils that should be buried until the end of time.

It feels like it was designed by 12 year old me, using Jack Nicklaus golf II from my old mid 90s CPU. And 12 year old me was devious moron, whose design philosophy was based on the miniputt course from Happy Gilmore.
                      Last edited by TheBananaSlice; Dec 31, 2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Definitely not a dog track, but hands down has the worst opening stretch of holes I've played in the GTA. And challenging doesn't always amount to a golf course being great--RA falls into that category. And don't get me started with the routing of this course...

Comment

I don't think it's a dog track at all, but I do think it is the worst course around.
                          Around where? Within the GTA, I can think of at least 20 others that I would rate worse.

Hell, it's not even the worst course in Durham.

Comment

Originally posted by sauerkraut View Post
                            Around where? Within the GTA, I can think of at least 20 others that I would rate worse.

Hell, it's not even the worst course in Durham.
                            I agree

Comment

I just checked the list again, no hyhope farm gc

Comment

The layout is just so messy and poorly conceived. I remember walking the course last year (like I said I had to be there, but would rather just wander around without being forced to hit balls) and couldn't shake the feeling that some sort of bunker monster wandered the land taking huge, splattery, dumps in the most random spots. And those poops have now crusted over and become dated fossils that should be buried until the end of time.

It feels like it was designed by 12 year old me, using Jack Nicklaus golf II from my old mid 90s CPU. And 12 year old me was devious moron, whose design philosophy was based on the miniputt course from Happy Gilmore.
                                As to Ashburn/Thunderbird. It's practice facilities are very good. Its clubhouse is good. It's conditioning is usually excellent. I have always had good service (pro shop). It is a very fair test of your game, perhaps one reason why they used to hold the Canadian Tour Q-School there.

However ..........
                                Our group has walked off twice due to terrible pace of play
                                I find it rather flat and boring. Very little changes in elevation, scenic holes, framing the greens, etc.
                                Some of the ground is just a little too soggy on the front 9. Some players like that, others like me find it distracting.

So certainly not the worst course in the Eastern part of the GTA. Not even in my estimation the worst value or most over-rated (I personally would award those respectively to Maples of Ballantrae and Deer Creek) but not a course that I choose to play regularly.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X