Collapse

Tour Issue vs. Retail

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour Issue vs. Retail

I'm wondering if anybody has noticed a difference between tour issue club heads and retail club heads.

Re: Tour Issue vs. Retail

If you're talking about the TP versions, then it's all in the shaft, and not the club head.. at least that's what I read when I did my research when buying my clubs..

Comment

He's talking about tour issue, not TP. I'm really not qualified to say what the difference is - if any.

Comment

The TP versions are TaylorMade's version of clubs for better players. A tour issue club is one that would come off the tour van and could be any brand.

Comment

A lot of tour issue products come in different lofts not typically available to the general public. And I'm sure there are other subtle difference as well. Lie angles. That sort of thing.

Comment

if you refer to the Superfast 2.0 TP the clubface is slightly open.
            What's in the bag?
            Cobra ZL Encore 9.5 driver with Fujikura Motore F1
            Callaway SteelHead Plus 3 & 5 wood
            Taylormade Rescue 11 3 to 5 Hybrid ALDILA RIP
            Callaway X-Tour (6-PW) (all irons are 1 degree flat) KBS Tour 90
            Nike 52 Pro Combo Gap Wedge
            Titleist Vokey SM4 56 & 60 Sand/Lob Wedge
            Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 33.5 Inches long

Comment

I have and do currently own lots of tour issue clubs. The biggest differences in woods are face angles (generally open) and offset in irons (less). Other than that... no real difference.
              MEMBER OF THE 07-09 and 11-16 RYDER CUP

Dans mon sac...
              M2 9.5 w/ Attas 3 8X
              Aeroburner TP 15*w/GD BB
              Aeroburner TP 21HL w/Black Tie 8
              Adams "Murdered" MB2's w/KBS tour black 5-GW
              MD3 Satin 56-60
              Odyssey #7CH "Lucky 777"

Member Club de Golf Cap-Rouge

Comment

Originally posted by MillerE View Post
                The TP versions are TaylorMade's version of clubs for better players. A tour issue club is one that would come off the tour van and could be any brand.
                This is not true. They have different shafts and marketing hype, that is the only difference.

Comment

While this only speaks of Nike, the indications are there is not a lot of difference between 'tour' issue stuff and retail issue. It sparked huge debates on golfwrx and other sites as there are some guys who a. Sell this stuff for big $$ and b. Insist the tour guys are playing superior equipment.

While I have no doubt the tour staffers get first looks and opportunities to play the latest and greatest offerings, I also have no doubt you can eventually order the exact same product in the exact same spec as a tour pro if you wanted. You'd be a fool to do so - you don't have the same swing speed and/or capabilities as a pro so why would you swing the same clubs?? But I also can't believe that Nike/TM/Titleist/etc would invest thousands of dollars into developing a new club and then only offer it to their staffers. That's just crazy.

The original blog post from Tom Stites is gone, but the article has been preserved in the following thread:

WhiZ
                  Current Bag (Clicgear B32 black bag on ClicGear 3.5)
                  Driver: Epic Sub-Zero 10.5 w/ Rogue 85g X-stiff
                  3W: XHot 15 with Diamana White 83 X-stiff
                  5W: XHot 19 with Diamana Blue 83 X-Stiff OR
                  Titleist 18 degree 712U C-Taper X +1/2"
                  4i: Srixon Z545 TT Pro X100 2up +1/2"
                  5i-PW: Srixon Z745 TT Pro X100 2up +1/2"
                  Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy2 50, 54, 58
                  Putter: TM 34" Spider Jason Day Pro model
                  Grips: NDMC plus4 midsize +2 under left, +4 under right

Comment

The suggestion that you are able to order anything that is being played on tour, in the same specs, from the manufacturer is just plain wrong. That doesn't mean tour stuff is any better, but most of it is tough to find.

Originally posted by WhiZ View Post
                    While this only speaks of Nike, the indications are there is not a lot of difference between 'tour' issue stuff and retail issue. It sparked huge debates on golfwrx and other sites as there are some guys who a. Sell this stuff for big $$ and b. Insist the tour guys are playing superior equipment.

While I have no doubt the tour staffers get first looks and opportunities to play the latest and greatest offerings, I also have no doubt you can eventually order the exact same product in the exact same spec as a tour pro if you wanted. You'd be a fool to do so - you don't have the same swing speed and/or capabilities as a pro so why would you swing the same clubs?? But I also can't believe that Nike/TM/Titleist/etc would invest thousands of dollars into developing a new club and then only offer it to their staffers. That's just crazy.

The original blog post from Tom Stites is gone, but the article has been preserved in the following thread:

WhiZ

Comment

bah... there have been lots of clubs that were only for the tour guys. For the longest time, you couldn't buy big cheese grater wedges grooves at retail. I think it was the TM Y cutter that was the first in stores - but before that if you could get tour issue wedges they had the big box grooves. We could all get them for a couple years - and then Poof, now they are gone.

I haven't been paying attention to who's using what on tour lately. Truthfully, I think the gap is closed considerably if there are any differences at all now outside of a players personal preferences.

A prime example of what tour vs retail used to be was the Taylor Made 200 series fairway woods. The tour issue stuff was gold - the retail clubs were tin. There have been some pretty cool tour issue shafts as well.
                      TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                      TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                      TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                      Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                      Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                      100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Most retail drivers are closed face angle. Titleist are are true/square. If you struggle with pulls, hooks and strong draws...it could be. the face angle is closed by design (often without your knowledge)

I wish I had known this 15 years ago.
                        Mizuno 825-JPX Pro
                        Titleist Vokey SM wedges
                        Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom2
                        Bridgestone RX-S

Comment

Originally posted by luv2golow View Post
                          I have and do currently own lots of tour issue clubs. The biggest differences in woods are face angles (generally open) and offset in irons (less). Other than that... no real difference.

You missed out the extra zero that comes with the word,"tour-issued" vs retail haha
                          Last edited by rayray905; Mar 17, 2011, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Is there a outlet for Tour Issue used clubs or are the used clubs only found out there by word of mouth ?

Comment

10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                              16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                              20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                              4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                              Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays