Collapse

Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

Any time a subject of SL and/or TLT comes up on these forums, it's mostly my stupid questions, and just a handful of other TGNers that share their thoughts on this subject. I've seen just few people using TLT, but never seen SL used in actual play on our forum.

So my simple question is: Anyone here using as their regular set SL Ions ?
    and if yes, What are your results/impressions/suggestions ...?

Best and cheers !
    Last edited by veryold; Dec 28, 2016, 01:13 PM.

Re: Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

Soon.... waiting for the sterling to come out in left handed. Building a 1/2 set to test out.
    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
    Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
    Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
    Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
      Soon.... waiting for the sterling to come out in left handed. Building a 1/2 set to test out.
      Hey, that's great, THANKS
      Have you decided on which #s in the half set you'll get ? And i'm really interested to get your comments once you try them.
      Cheers !

Comment

Going with the 5 hybrid and 7-9-G irons. Adding in a Ping Glide wedge as well.

Picked up a Wishon 919 driver head that I'm hoping to build up short and heavy and perhaps a Wishon 7 wood. The reason with almost all wishon is the bendable hosel design and weight ports in the heads so Dan and I can really dial these in.

Should be a fun experiment... if I don't like it enough over my TLT build I'll hand these off to my son as his next set... he's growing like a weed and is going to start stealing my stuff soon anyway.
        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
        Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
        Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
        Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
          Any time a subject of SL and/or TLT comes up on these forums, it's mostly my stupid questions, and just a handful of other TGNers that share their thoughts on this subject. I've seen just few people using TLT, but never seen SL used in actual play on our forum.

So my simple question is: Anyone here using as their regular set SL Ions ?

Best and cheers !
          I play single length.
          JIM
          Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
          TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
          Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Not gaming them,they are getting old in the garage.

Comment

I think its a great idea in theory. Bryson Dechambeau is a smart individual who figured out what can work for him. He literally spent days on each club finding the perfect combination that works for him.
              Sure someone might be able to buy the off the rack set of SL and make them work but in no way is it going to be truly beneficial unless you get fitted for each club.
              Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
              3W - Taylormade M4
              5 wood - Callaway X Hot
              4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
              Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
              Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
              Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                What are you gaming? I'd be curious to find out the results if you only gamed the 5-6-7 for a while.

Comment

Tried it. Did not like it. Too one dimensional i feel.

My basic feel was the same as Crossfields and Shiels.

Long irons went shorter with worse dispersion.

Short irons distance was ok however spin and trajectory too low. I had too much roll. Dispersion was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                    What are you gaming? I'd be curious to find out the results if you only gamed the 5-6-7 for a while.
                    1979 mcgregor tourney irons ,found at value village.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                      i know. i tried to lowball you for them quite some time ago, and still feel bad about doing it But, if you.... ,lol
                      ATB and cheers !

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                      Tried it. Did not like it. Too one dimensional i feel.
                      My basic feel was the same as Crossfields and Shiels.
                      Long irons went shorter with worse dispersion.
                      Short irons distance was ok however spin and trajectory too low. I had too much roll. Dispersion was terrible.
                      Now this is so interesting but so discouraging at the same time.
                      The SLs, or any other "non-conventional" technology/design are, and at least as i am concerned, definitely "try before buy" type of decision and on a real golf course for at least a round or two, me thinks, no ?
                      Thanks and cheers !
                      Last edited by veryold; Dec 28, 2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                        i know. i tried to lowball you for them quite some time ago, and still feel bad about doing it But, if you.... ,lol
                        ATB and cheers !

Now this is so interesting but so discouraging at the same time.
                        The SLs are definitely "try before buy" and on a real golf course for at least a round or two, no ?
                        Thanks and cheers !
                        lol,maybe a trade is in the works,you still have those adams

Comment

In truth I never got to hit them outdoors only on a Sim against my current TLT build.

If you want a more in depth comparison or review I posted on in the MOI discussion.

Comment

You may find this story interesting from the creators of Adams golf:
                            Among the stories for this year’s Masters, the serious club folks show a serious interest in Bryson DeChambeau, specifically his single-length clubs. This evokes memories for me, as I experimented with a single-length set many years ago. First a little history. Back in the mid ’80s, a golf pro by the name of Jimmy Shack […]

Given some of the discussions going on around the board, I thought these were two interesting paragraphs:

One of the keys in our club-fitting system was establishing a comfortable position at address. We measured knuckles to the ground standing erect (more consistent than fingertips because of hand size). We combined this with what we called maximum drop — how much the hands lowered gripping the club — the idea being a solid address position before we got into flex, lie, etc.

One thing I learned is all of us are not ideally suited to a proper address position in conjunction with clubs we could play. For example, I am long from the waist up, which means to get a comfortable address position I needed clubs 3 inches over standard length, and they were simply too long. For a guy 6 foot 8 inches to 6 foot 10 inches, no problem, but for me, problem. I used to tell people that not everyone has a body that can handle the required length, so in some cases you have to bend over at address a little extra.

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                              I think its a great idea in theory. Bryson Dechambeau is a smart individual who figured out what can work for him. He literally spent days on each club finding the perfect combination that works for him.
                              Sure someone might be able to buy the off the rack set of SL and make them work but in no way is it going to be truly beneficial unless you get fitted for each club.
                              +1

Everything I've read about SL suggests that fitting is critical. I think the Cobra SL's will fail and the fact that they are using the 'off the rack' model will be one of the reasons.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X