X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: President Obama's Farewell Address

Originally posted by Bern View Post
    That is where you would be wrong.
    There were 67 police shootings in 2007 and 65 in 2001 as opposed to 63 in 2016. If you want to correlate presidents with this metric, which I think is ridiculous, Obama's tenure saw 403 police shot and killed, George Bush's tenure saw 440.

Source
    182 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty in 2016.

With respect to race relations I'm not sure how you would measure that.
    My thought is that a group just found their voice under 'their' president.

Nice to cherry-pick but the grass speaks for itself

Comment

Originally posted by hemants View Post

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/i...cerskilled.png
      The trend is downward for police killed in action, add up the numbers.

You just pointed to an obscure image uploaded to the internet.

Comment

nice try.

How many police officers are killed in the US in a normal year? And how many people are killed by police?
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

And I found this online ... could be relevant?

Comment

Comment

Objective data

A New York Times/CBS News Poll indicates that relations between African-Americans and the police are so brittle that the attack that killed five officers in Dallas left many respondents unsurprised.

Comment

Did you actually read the transcript of his remarks or are you parroting the "assessments" of ultra right wing internet "press?" I ask because I have both listened to his remarks and read the transcript. If you can find divisiveness and racial baiting of officers in those remarks, then you are seeing things that are not there. His comments were thoughtful and compassionate and delivered from the perspective of one who was sympathetic to police officers who put themselves in harms way every day. In line with my earlier question to you, which you failed to answer, what specific passage or passages in this speech do claim are divisive rhetoric? Also, assuming such passages exist, which I doubt, what do you say about the rest of the eulogy?

Simple example. Bringing up police racism at a memorial for slain Dallas police officers is disgustingly divisive.
                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

You have to look at the consistent pattern of anti cop rhetoric from Obama

“If police organizations and departments acknowledge that there’s a problem and there’s an issue, then that, too, is going to contribute to real solutions"

" “I see people who mourn for the five officers we lost, but also weep for the families of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile.”

"“I think it is fair to say we will see more tension between police and communities this month, next month, next year, for quite some time.”
                  Man could you use some support. i've learned, (the hard way), to stay out of these types of discussions. Have to make an exception now and then.

Totally agree with you. The funerals for the Dallas Police Officers were the ultimate for me. Couldn't believe what Obama was saying. Also couldn't believe that the Officers attending didn't get up and turn their backs.

As far as his farewell address, I hope that's finally it. He needs to sail off into the sunset, but unfortunatley, since he'll be residing in Washington, he'll probably be an integral part in reshaping the Democratic party.
                  Bridgestone J715 10.5
                  Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                  Adams Super LS 17d.
                  Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                  Scratch 8620 53d.
                  Callaway X-forged 58d.
                  Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                  Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

I just now read this post as I have been driving all day. In the context of his overall remarks, I fail to see how these particular comments are objectionable.

You have to look at the consistent pattern of anti cop rhetoric from Obama

“If police organizations and departments acknowledge that there’s a problem and there’s an issue, then that, too, is going to contribute to real solutions"

" “I see people who mourn for the five officers we lost, but also weep for the families of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile.”

"“I think it is fair to say we will see more tension between police and communities this month, next month, next year, for quite some time.”

Comment

To me it would be like George Bush after 9/11 saying "we mourn for the victims, but we have to examine the root causes in our foreign policy most of which is good".
                      Perhaps, in the non-immediate aftermath of 9/11, GWB would have been better served to have said exactly that rather than using terrorism by Saudi nationals as a pretext for a costly and ill-advised war of conquest in Iraq. Similarly, when some police chiefs purposely encourage or overlook the excesses of frontline officers in their efforts to 'get the bad guys' perhaps they should realize that establishing respect for the law cannot be accomplished by acting outside of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                        Perhaps, in the non-immediate aftermath of 9/11, GWB would have been better served to have said exactly that rather than using terrorism by Saudi nationals as a pretext for a costly and ill-advised war of conquest in Iraq. Similarly, when some police chiefs purposely encourage or overlook the excesses of frontline officers in their efforts to 'get the bad guys' perhaps they should realize that establishing respect for the law cannot be accomplished by acting outside of it.
                        The 5 slain Dallas officers did something you don't approve of? Please expand on this.

Comment

Originally posted by vermin40 View Post
                          The 5 slain Dallas officers did something you don't approve of?
                          No. What, specifically, drew you to that conclusion?

Comment

In the end this is not a proveable fact it is a matter of perspective and views can differ.

I will just say this. Until you are on the receiving end you won't get it.

The though I will leave the naysayers with is this..

Next time you need someone to say sorry but instead they say 'I'm sorry but' you may learn the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                              I just now read this post as I have been driving all day. In the context of his overall remarks, I fail to see how these particular comments are objectionable.
                              It's a matter of timing. Obama NEVER failed to use a tragedy for political agenda.

Comment

I suppose you would include his raising the issue of gun control on the occasion of the slaughter of children at Sandy Hook. This is where we differ. I can't think of a better time to raise the issue, and it certainly didn't diminish the his heartfelt message to the parents, friends and families.

It's a matter of timing. Obama NEVER failed to use a tragedy for political agenda.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X