/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

4under,
    I always thought the course was overrated. It's disjointed. Links style holes, wasteland and then an island green. Great piece of land, I would have liked to see what could have been built with original ideas. Everything else was fine.

Comment

Another very subjective thread?

To some members, the vast majority of courses in the GTA that charge over $60 per round are over-rated. Their idea of value is a slightly challenging lay-out that's in good condition (green speed around 8-9, green fairways, playable bunkers). There are enough of these courses to keep those golfers satisfied.
      To other members, the same could be said of any course that charges $125 or close to it. But because of their architect or huge clubhouse or location or some outside influence (i.e. magazine article) it's said to be a "top 100" course, they feel like it MUST be worth the extra money. The course may spend a bit more on pesticides/fertilizer so it looks "lush" and the greens may run 9-10, but it's mostly it's "reputation" that encourages golfers to pay more.
      At the end of the day, it's all in the mind of the individual golfer as to which course deserves it's high price. I've played several courses in Ontario with either members or as a guest of someone with half-price coupons that are just another course in good condition that I wouldn't ordinarily pay to play because I just don't see where it's worth the extra dollars. I've also played lots of courses around the US that were so much more interesting, challenging and in better condition than some high-end courses in the GTA for much less than half the price. Personally, I'd much rather pay to play at a course that doesn't have a monstrous elaborate clubhouse (the cost of which must be covered in the green fee) but the conditions were good. But in the end, the golfer still has to hit the appropriate shot and make the appropriate putt to "beat" the course. It generally makes no difference who designed the course or the lay-out or course condition (as long as the greens are consistent from 1-18). Until the golfer can do that on a consistent basis, it's a totally subjective exercise deciding which course(s) might be over-rated.

But then, that's just my opinion....
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I find Deer Creek to be a little over rated.

Actually, perhaps I'm associating over rated with over priced.

Deer Creek is a bit more $$ than it should be IMO though no doubt taxes are high and there's something to be said for convenience since it's so close to Whitby and I'd bet many people don't want to drive a bit further north.

Comment

For myself in 2016...

Public: Wooden Sticks. With apologies to The Olde Hide House, it's not worth the drive to Uxbridge.

Private: Oakdale. For $125(+)K initiation, I was expecting more of a "wow" factor. Instead I got warnings about how polluted the Black Creek was.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
            Another very subjective thread?

To some members, the vast majority of courses in the GTA that charge over $60 per round are over-rated. Their idea of value is a slightly challenging lay-out that's in good condition (green speed around 8-9, green fairways, playable bunkers). There are enough of these courses to keep those golfers satisfied.
            To other members, the same could be said of any course that charges $125 or close to it. But because of their architect or huge clubhouse or location or some outside influence (i.e. magazine article) it's said to be a "top 100" course, they feel like it MUST be worth the extra money. The course may spend a bit more on pesticides/fertilizer so it looks "lush" and the greens may run 9-10, but it's mostly it's "reputation" that encourages golfers to pay more.
            At the end of the day, it's all in the mind of the individual golfer as to which course deserves it's high price. I've played several courses in Ontario with either members or as a guest of someone with half-price coupons that are just another course in good condition that I wouldn't ordinarily pay to play because I just don't see where it's worth the extra dollars. I've also played lots of courses around the US that were so much more interesting, challenging and in better condition than some high-end courses in the GTA for much less than half the price. Personally, I'd much rather pay to play at a course that doesn't have a monstrous elaborate clubhouse (the cost of which must be covered in the green fee) but the conditions were good. But in the end, the golfer still has to hit the appropriate shot and make the appropriate putt to "beat" the course. It generally makes no difference who designed the course or the lay-out or course condition (as long as the greens are consistent from 1-18). Until the golfer can do that on a consistent basis, it's a totally subjective exercise deciding which course(s) might be over-rated.

But then, that's just my opinion....
            Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
              Excellent post.
              Maybe, but where was the answer to OP question?
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                Maybe, but where was the answer to OP question?
                It's very subjective IMO, but any course that charges more than $50 with a cart is over-charging. It may not apply in every single case, but most of the high-end courses that I've checked out charge a premium based mostly on their "reputation/rating" with sportswriters & other "disinterested" parties.
                U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
                  4under,
                  I always thought the course was overrated. It's disjointed. Links style holes, wasteland and then an island green. Great piece of land, I would have liked to see what could have been built with original ideas. Everything else was fine.
                  I would tend to agree that Wooden Sticks is overrated, though it is fun to play.

That said, I don't believe the property is very good for golf at all. It's very separated, and with the obvious restrictions they had, I don't think they could have ever had anything but cart golf there.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                    It's very subjective IMO, but any course that charges more than $50 with a cart is over-charging. It may not apply in every single case, but most of the high-end courses that I've checked out charge a premium based mostly on their "reputation/rating" with sportswriters & other "disinterested" parties.
                    Any course more than $50 with a cart is over-charging?

I'd personally love to see a thread listing the posted/rack rates of several courses, and then what TGN members think is actually a reasonable price for each.

Comment

Played Wooden Sticks for the FIRST time late last year (you can say that about 2016 now!)

I really liked it. Great variety of holes, great conditions

Won't hurry back at the price they charge
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                        Played Wooden Sticks for the FIRST time late last year (you can say that about 2016 now!)

I really liked it. Great variety of holes, great conditions

Won't hurry back at the price they charge
                        I try and get out there each year and always enjoy my day. I think it's a spectacular piece of property with excellent golf and conditions that are equal to the best private clubs.

Yes, a couple of the replica holes are not the best done (road hole and 12 at Augusta come to mind) but they give you a sense of the shot.

If you plY the long weekend shot guns, or some of the other times of year where it can be played for $125 with meals or $100 without ( fall) it represents a fair price IMO. Often they toss in a gift too, we got a jacket last fall.
                        I usually pick up one of their Christmas packages ,nice golf shirt, hat , round of golf and the meals for $150 .

I noticed you said Ballantrae was overrated, I've played it a few hundred times and while there are aspects that I don't like ( bunkers), hole 1 and 10 are weak , I think it's a very good golf course with a nice mix of holes, challenging especially if the wind is up , great service and always in great shape ( bunkers excepted) and for $65 with the passes for golf and cart or Golfnow is a great price.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I wouldn't say Ballantrae is over rated. I recall someone comparing their upside down saucer greens to that of Pinehurst #2.

I am kind of agreeing with Wooden Sticks being over rated.

Comment

Originally posted by quickgreens View Post
                            Angus Glen gets my vote as the most over-rated in 2016. What do you think?
                            I'll second that motion. My first time back to Angus Glen in 10 years was one giant disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                              Ballantrae
                              Since I consider Ballantrae Golf and Country Club to be my home course, let me defend its honour.

Doug Carrick designed 4 golf courses in relatively the same geographic area and with comparable topography. Lebovic, Angus, Granite and Ballantrae. I have played 3 of these courses, dozens of times and Lebovic 3 times.

In my estimation, Ballantrae is certainly neither the 'worst' or the most 'over rated' of these courses. Each of these courses have their own strengths and weaknesses however in any of the variables listed in our 'best course' rating thread Ballantrae is competitive in each variable listed.

Yes there are some weaknesses but I will leave these for others to discuss.

Comment

Just my OPINION folks, it was my least favourite (all things considered...price, layout, conditions & of course, how I played!!)
                                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X