Collapse

JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

A lot of buzz last week for obvious reasons...

Saw his presser, and his comments (close but I'm a paraphrasing):

'It's the pro game with a lot on the line, not your average joe playing on the weekend, I understand why slow play in the amateur game is a problem, etc.'

Talk about someone who doesn't get it, 'average joe' sees it that 'because Jason does it, I should do it too', certainly my impression and his fellow pros certainly railed...

Read the Golf World article linked here:

Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???

Thoughts??

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

It's not the pro's fault when some wannabe imitates him.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

when did JD go Nike?
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
        Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???

Thoughts??

- Ian
        IMO, there are two separate yet related issues here; slow play affecting how people enjoy the game at the amateur level, and the 'quality' of the product being delivered on television by the professional tours.

As I mentioned in another thread, in recent months I have found the televised game to be virtually unwatchable. Perhaps it's just me right now, but I find the broadcasts incredible boring. They focus on such a small group of players (rather than everyone who is playing at the time) which forces them to cover the detailed player/caddy exchanges about elevation, wind, club, trajectory, etc. associated with every shot. Of course the announcers never question why all of the players in a group don't do their respective calculations at the same time (i.e. ready golf versus 'honours' golf) nor how, after such detailed exchanges occur, the player misses his target by twenty yards. Once at the green, we are then shown a pro re-place his ball on the putting surface (after the ball has been thoroughly cleaned), align the marks on the ball to the putting line, stand up and look at the putt from three sides, and then re-align the ball. Gripping stuff. If it's during a playoff for The Masters, fine, but not during the first round of the Sony Open.

Does all of this happening on TV ultimately translate into slow play at the amateur level? Some, but not all. Honours golf should be observed only in formal competition and completely abandoned in casual play because it serves absolutely no purpose. As for 'detailed calculations', many amateurs today have electronic aids which tell them how far to hit the ball. The problem is that the players rarely know how far they actually hit the ball with each club, and if they did know, may not actually hit it that far and/or in the correct direction. The result is missed fairways and greens, extra shots and extra time.

Comment

"Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???"

For me , Absolutely not at all, nor does it with anyone I know.

While I am sure there are wannabes out there who mimic the pros with their white pants and white belts and routines etc, I don't think it is common, nor contributes to slow play at the recreational level, and all the studies into slow play I read , confirm that. The two main factors being course management and course difficulty.

I commented the other day in another thread that I felt the huge amounts of money that are on the line are the main contributer to slow play on tour.

Edit to add: I would like to see individuals penalized/ put on the clock if they are slow, not groups.
          Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 10, 2017, 10:14 AM.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            I commented the other day in another thread that I felt the huge amounts of money that are on the line are the main contributer to slow play on tour.
            You are probably right but I would have said the problem is with the sports psychologists that say "don't hit until you are 100% comfortable". In a funk, they are never comfortable as per Garcia a few years back.

I followed Woods, McCarron, and Els a few years back at Bay Hill. Els was giving Tiger the glare and McCarron would just walk off to next tee while Tiger was putting. You would think that fellow pros would have a mechanism to do something about the brutally methodical.

Comment

Originally posted by Galted View Post
              You are probably right but I would have said the problem is with the sports psychologists that say "don't hit until you are 100% comfortable". In a funk, they are never comfortable as per Garcia a few years back.

I followed Woods, McCarron, and Els a few years back at Bay Hill. Els was giving Tiger the glare and McCarron would just walk off to next tee while Tiger was putting. You would think that fellow pros would have a mechanism to do something about the brutally methodical.
              Agree........

Comment

I think his comments are fine, as with Rory admitting his priority isn't too grow golf. Both are strong competitors focused on winning, just like Jack & Arnie were in their playing days.

I don't think the pace on tour has a big impact on the course, there are a lot of other issues which are lower hanging fruit to pick up the pace.

Comment

presser

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                  A lot of buzz last week for obvious reasons...

Saw his presser, and his comments (close but I'm a paraphrasing):

'It's the pro game with a lot on the line, not your average joe playing on the weekend, I understand why slow play in the amateur game is a problem, etc.'

Talk about someone who doesn't get it, 'average joe' sees it that 'because Jason does it, I should do it too', certainly my impression and his fellow pros certainly railed...

Read the Golf World article linked here:

Thoughts??

- Ian

Comment

If you allow the pro's to play at a ridiculous pace of play the rounds will only get slower. Doesn't that give him an advantage over someone that likes to play faster?? Damn right it does. Personally I can barely stand to watch all of these guys take forever to play a round. Threesomes in 5 1/2 hours is just crazy. If the rounds then stretch out to 6 hours or longer there will be more events with less players, so that's not fair to those that have a lower standing in the priority list. Sure play better and get a better priority but that's not always going to be the case. JD doesn't give a flying "F" how many guys are in the field. They have a players committee and they should start enforcing the rules they have in place now. Maybe if JD was made to play faster he wouldn't be as good.

Since he said it I'm posting about him but there are other the need to pick up the pace also.

Couple cents worth.

Comment

If you allow the pro's to play at a ridiculous pace of play the rounds will only get slower. Doesn't that give him an advantage over someone that likes to play faster?? Damn right it does. Personally I can barely stand to watch all of these guys take forever to play a round. Threesomes in 5 1/2 hours is just crazy. If the rounds then stretch out to 6 hours or longer there will be more events with less players, so that's not fair to those that have a lower standing in the priority list. Sure play better and get a better priority but that's not always going to be the case. JD doesn't give a flying "F" how many guys are in the field. They have a players committee and they should start enforcing the rules they have in place now. Maybe if JD was made to play faster he wouldn't be as good.

Since he said it I'm posting about him but there are others that need to pick up the pace also.

Couple cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                        "Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???"

For me , Absolutely not at all, nor does it with anyone I know.

While I am sure there are wannabes out there who mimic the pros with their white pants and white belts and routines etc, I don't think it is common, nor contributes to slow play at the recreational level, and all the studies into slow play I
                        I disagree the young guns at my course are watching the ball from every angle, backing off, etc etc etc

Even the old timers that play money games if asked to speed up say that it's common place as they see on TV to take your time.
                        I think it trickles down.
                        It's not all to blame but plays a part.
                        I despise slow play the reason I've started to get up earlier on weekends at my course because the early times are guys who want to get er done.
                        PING CAMO BAG...
                        WEAPONS...
                        SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                        3W TM M2
                        HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                        5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                        LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                        3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

put em all on a clock and enforce it, just like they enforce all the rules.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I think its safe to say that what he said will not speed up players. And its probably safe to say that at least one person will figure... if that works for him, it will work for me. I just wish Jason would shut up and do it without announcing it. Most likely people wont even notice.
                            Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                            3W - Taylormade M4
                            5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                            4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                            Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                            Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                            Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                              put em all on a clock and enforce it, just like they enforce all the rules.
                              This would be such an easy thing to do and they have established the allowable timelines and conditions, so why not simply do it ?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X