The Northern Trust Open *** Spoiler Alert ***

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Northern Trust Open *** Spoiler Alert ***

Originally posted by hbassi View Post
    I think Phil blew it, he had the lead going into today.

And then on the last playoff hole made a bad decision off the tee....

If it was Tiger, he def would have been considered to 'blow it'
    Phil did not back up, and outside Sergio's phenomenal round there were no great scores today , -2 was the best score in the top 12 finishers and only 2 golfers went that low so even par was not a bad score at all....both Keegan and Phil even as did DJ and a few others

The difference last week with Tiger when he started in 2nd or 3rd was that he went backwards on a course where the scoring was better

at the end of the day Phil might have hit some better shots today and won but after 72 holes he was tied for the lead.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

wow......just realized that 80% of the field failed to break par today

Comment

World #1 shot a 78 today.

Not a very good season debut.

Would like TGC to do an indepth analysis...

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
          World #1 shot a 78 today.

Not a very good season debut.

Would like TGC to do an indepth analysis...

blame the driver and 3w that GBR sent him

Comment

Haas got really lucky, no other way to put it. I bet if he hit that putt 100 times he might sink it once not to mention that his drive could have been stuck behind a tree.

Comment

You need luck to win. Was Phil lucky when he sunk the putt on 18 to force the playoff?
              For much of the final round it looked like no one could do anything. The greens must have been very tough, since there were so many missed short putts. The last few holes and the playoff were great.
              I am starting to like Bill Haas, he is gaining experience and learning to win some big events.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                Phil did not back up, and outside Sergio's phenomenal round there were no great scores today , -2 was the best score in the top 12 finishers and only 2 golfers went that low so even par was not a bad score at all....both Keegan and Phil even as did DJ and a few others

The difference last week with Tiger when he started in 2nd or 3rd was that he went backwards on a course where the scoring was better

at the end of the day Phil might have hit some better shots today and won but after 72 holes he was tied for the lead.
                Phil was -9 for the tourny after 6....then went bogey bogey. Isn't that backing up?

From my subjective view - he blew it.

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/00181...s/#!/r007/2012
                Last edited by hbassi; Feb 19, 2012, 09:03 PM. Reason: Add Link

Comment

You want to talk about who lost the tournament? Dustin Johnson's short approaches lost it for him. I get disappointed watching such a great long game get decimated by poor play (for a PGA pro) from 130 and in.
                  Driver: Callaway BB Epic 13.5, Veylix Alpina 673S - WILDEYE!
                  16.5* 4W: Ping G25, Fujikura Pro Wood 63R
                  20* 3H: Callaway Apex, Accra CS1 HB-M4
                  4-A: Callaway Apex Combo, Project X LZ 5.5
                  Wedges: TM TP 54/60-ATV, DG Spinner Wedge
                  Putter: SC Sqaureback No. 1
                  Bench: Ping Anser UST VTS TourSPX Hybrid Silver 75R
                  RCGA Factor: 11.6 (75 up to....)

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    You want to talk about who lost the tournament? Dustin Johnson's short approaches lost it for him. I get disappointed watching such a great long game get decimated by poor play (for a PGA pro) from 130 and in.
                    Gotta agree with this. DJ hit some horrendous shots today from inside 120y. Remove 2-3 of those horrendous shots and DJ wins the tournament. There's very few excuses for missing the green from 115 at that level.

I'm not a Haas fan (dude bores me to death and lacks personality) but he won the tournament outright. He made the putt when he needed to and that's really all that mattered.
                    What's in the Taylormade TMX Stand Bag:
                    Titleist 910D2 10.5* (w/ Oban Devotion)
                    RBZ 3w 15*
                    RBZ Tour 3h 18.5*
                    Adams CB2 4-GW (KBS Tour 90)
                    CG15 52*,56*

Putters:
                    Byron Morgan DH89x
                    Byron Morgan 611x

Comment

• Re: The Northern Trust Open *** Spoiler Alert ***

Originally posted by SeanFTW View Post
                      Gotta agree with this. DJ hit some horrendous shots today from inside 120y. Remove 2-3 of those horrendous shots and DJ wins the tournament. There's very few excuses for missing the green from 115 at that level.

I'm not a Haas fan (dude bores me to death and lacks personality) but he won the tournament outright. He made the putt when he needed to and that's really all that mattered.
                      DJ Lost the event? are we kidding, every golfer in the event can say if I hit a couple of shots differently - outcomes would be different.

But Phil had a 2 shot lead at his score was minus 9, the score to get into the playoff was -7. Phil lead all week, he blew it.

Comment

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post
                        it is just not Bradley --- most PGA tournaments are taking 5 to 5 and a half hours --Phil was at the front of the 8th green today at a time of 2 hours and 16 minutes -- they have had to wait on some tees before they teed off too-- just like us at our courses many times it takes around 5 hours to play --one of the main reasons golf is losing players/popularity--- and the answer is? ---up to the tour to set a procedure about pace of pay and then maybe the amateur golfer will stop dicking around too
                        The pace of play has been getting slower over the last few years, "molasses" is not the only one but he stood out to me today when he took more than 2 minutes to play his 2nd shot on #2.

Originally posted by Stool66 View Post
                        They really don't play that slow. Lots of golfers on a course playing to big $$$ and things can get bottled up. They all play way quicker Thursday and Friday than they do Sunday in contention, which isn't unreasonable considering the $$$ on the line.

If any of us ever had a putt for $100,000 we may understand that a bit better....
                        They have been playing for big $$ for more than 10 years, the pace was not as slow then as it is now.

Originally posted by Boognish View Post
                        I'm with you on Bradley, can't stand watching him!!! So fidgety, back and forth 4, 5, 6 times before settling into it.
                        His antics are annoying, he needs a much quicker pre shot routine.

Originally posted by Tdot View Post
                        Agreed.

Bradley is killing me!! It's like Sergio from the US Open at Bethpage. Waggle waggle waggle, back off check my target waggle waggle waggle, back off check my target, and repeat. I can understand doing this on one or two shots from time to time as some shots just don't feel right but he's doing it way too much. Faldo even chirped him a few minutes ago saying he hoped he didn't do this at Augusta.
                        I think when Sergio was going through the waggle period that was worse but I can see the day when "Molasses" gets even slower.

Originally posted by Bwadd View Post
                        Between the fidget and spitting he is extremely annoying to watch!
                        agreed on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                          I like Jim Nantz, but some of his anecdotes are getting really tired....eg. DJ's grandfather was drafted by The Lakers, and then mentiioning that there were a bunch of NFL QB's at Riviera today, then tying that in to some sort of Tebow miracle...then onto a text that Brady supposedly sent Bradley, and now Brady is a member at Riviera!? Shut up Jim, my brain is gonna explode....I'd much rather hear Sir Nick talk about GOLF!!!
                          Nantz started to annoy me a couple of years back when the golf telecast starts with him saying "hello friends or welcome friends", this is like Vin Scully used to do. Jim we are not your friends, we came to watch the golf, his anecdotes add nothing to what we are watching . . . he needs to shut up.

Comment

Having said all that ^^^^, the finish on 18 with Phil and Molasses making birdies to get to the playoff was great. I am not sure what Bill Haas would have been thinking listening to those roars.

Bills' putt on #10 was a great way to finish it off, happy to see him win.

Phil did not look great on the weekend, he was far away from his last round at Pebble. Keegan "Molasses" Bradley has a lot of talent, that is obvious, he needs to speed up and clean up the spitting . . . I am dreading watching him on the greens at Augusta.

Comment

Phil was -9 for the tourny after 6....then went bogey bogey. Isn't that backing up?

From my subjective view - he blew it.

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/001810/phil-mickelson/scorecards/#!/r007/2012

I guess you can handpick a snapshot of his round to justify your point, but then by the same logic any time any player makes a bogey or worse they would be deemed to have backed up .......

by your logic, unless somebody plays a bogey free round then at some point they backed up

To be fair to Phil, I look at the whole round ..........he started -7, ended -7 and par was not a bad score out there yesterday as ~80% of the field shot par or worse

Comment

DJ Lost the event? are we kidding, every golfer in the event can say if I hit a couple of shots differently - outcomes would be different.

Phil lead all week, he blew it.
                                I'm not a Phil fan but lets be fair, Phil played 4 solid rounds, Both he and Keegan Bradley enterred the final round tied at -7.....they played some of the better golf of the field today as I previously noted with the scoring on Sunday.

Phil and Keegan are not the first nor will they be the last players to not win a tournament heading into the final round with the lead............

I bet if you look at the stats for final round leaders winning the percentage is not that high, I'm guessing less than 40%.

Bill Hass deserves credit for shooting a sub par round and getting in the playoff, he drained an unlikely 45 footer to win , but that's golf.

and for the record he was -8 after 10 and -6 after 13 so backed up as well

it's not the debacle we saw out of Tiger last Sunday so stop trying to bring Phil down to Tiger's level

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X