Collapse

Playing with Angry Playing Partners

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing with Angry Playing Partners

This has somthing to do with the "sideways" scene where the group behind is hitting into you.

I was playing a round with my brothers and right from the beginning there was a guy in the group behind us that did'nt wait for us to move ahead. I'm lining up my approach, addressing the ball, about to swing when "whoosh" a ball flies within 2 feet of my head - i look back & dude just waves to me. O.K - he didn't think it would carry that far.

2 holes later - same thing - no "fore" just a wave for my brother this time.

2 holes later - on the green about to line up my put - looking at the angles, slope etc. "zing" - ever so close to my ear - WELL I LOST IT!!!!

I went to my bag, my brothers also - we grabbed the crappy balls (top flite etc.) we find and keep for chipping at home and the three of us proceeded to fire several balls right back at them!!!!

When buddy came to the green "piszed off" that we fired back & asked where his ball went. i told him i had it in my pocket - he said he wanted it back as it was a $5 ball - i said here - and threw it in the middle of the pond.

We all looked at him & said if one more ball came within 50yds of us - we're going to throw him in the pond.

Never saw the guy for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good for you dude! Not that I condone either of your behavior but some people just don't get the message until you beat them about the head with it. I wish everyone with THAT mantality would just quit the game of golf alltogether! We really don't need them out there screwing up our days. We could use the space on our courses too. Take 200,000 or so idiots off our fairways and prices would plumit and members would be sought after again like the old days. Service would find its way out of the woodwork again. Whoops...ranting, sorry.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm the guy trying to chuck my bag, clubs, golf balls, twigs and everything else I can find into the water when I play. Doesn't make for good company but I've been getting better ... well at least I think so!

As the name states, I've come to the realization that I'm not good at golf - not that I don't try nor have I given up but I'm not going to fool myself. If I get out to a course once every 4 to 6 weeks during our 'very long' summer season in Toronto, I can't be getting mad at myself for driving the ball into the next fairway.

My advice is - be realistic. Know who you are and what you're capable of. This will help you keep focus and hit the shots you know you can.

Comment

Originally posted by malarky
          Did you all see the movie "Sideways"? I thought great filmmaking, great acting, but what a horribly depressing story.

I digress ... I laughed so hard during the golf course scene when the group behind hits into the main characters. I really related to the reaction!
          I tried to start a thread on this movie. I thought the golf scene was so funny too.

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=694

Comment

Originally posted by Golftool
            This has somthing to do with the "sideways" scene where the group behind is hitting into you.

I was playing a round with my brothers and right from the beginning there was a guy in the group behind us that did'nt wait for us to move ahead. I'm lining up my approach, addressing the ball, about to swing when "whoosh" a ball flies within 2 feet of my head - i look back & dude just waves to me. O.K - he didn't think it would carry that far.

2 holes later - same thing - no "fore" just a wave for my brother this time.

2 holes later - on the green about to line up my put - looking at the angles, slope etc. "zing" - ever so close to my ear - WELL I LOST IT!!!!

I went to my bag, my brothers also - we grabbed the crappy balls (top flite etc.) we find and keep for chipping at home and the three of us proceeded to fire several balls right back at them!!!!

When buddy came to the green "piszed off" that we fired back & asked where his ball went. i told him i had it in my pocket - he said he wanted it back as it was a $5 ball - i said here - and threw it in the middle of the pond.

We all looked at him & said if one more ball came within 50yds of us - we're going to throw him in the pond.

Never saw the guy for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!
            That's exactly what I would have done!

Comment

Originally posted by Ems
              That's exactly what I would have done!
              Me 2 man. Get these type of people back on they're sofa watching wrestling or something. Neanderthals don't belong on the fairways, stay home and get drunk if ya half to.

Comment

Originally posted by Grass Roots Tour
                Me 2 man. Get these type of people back on they're sofa watching wrestling or something. Neanderthals don't belong on the fairways, stay home and get drunk if ya half to.
                ...and if you had actually hit one of them and caused serious injury, that would be OK then?

I understand the frustration, but this behaviour is no better that his - sorry, but the lame excuse of "he started it" just doesn't cut it. Purposely hitting a golf ball at someone should NEVER be an option - EVER.

Why not bring the behavior to the attention of the marshal or course management at the clubhouse? Why not simply confront the person WITHOUT firing golf balls at them? Even tossing their golf balls in the pond is a better way to get your message across. Getting hit with a golf ball can cause serious damage - which is why they need to be told to stop it and you need to refrain from stooping to the same behaviour.
                Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.

Comment

el tigre - you are correct - what we did should not have happened. We were extremely frustrated at this individual right from the beginning. Instead of concentrating on the game and enjoying our surroundings - we were left to look over our shoulder CONSTANTLY!.

I have been hit by people in the past - and it sure does'nt tickle!!! I guess having been through it before i am more weary than most & to get hit with a warning is a lot more acceptable than no warning at all - ever!

Not knowing the rules & etiquette is no excuse! - you don't swing a baseball bat at a hockey game - just as you dont fire balls at the players in front of you - without so much as a "fore". And to do it 3 times!!!!!! Come on !!!

There wasn't a marshall to be seen anywhere - never saw one ALL DAY! What else were we supposed to do???

I suppose firing back wasn't the smartest thing to do - next time will only throw the ball in the pond - along with his bag & clubs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ego Woods
                    I don't say much, but sometimes it's bad enough that it'll affect my game...I don't know why this is....probably because I know that somebody else is not having too much fun...and you really can't talk casually with him or other players when this person is in this funk.....lemme know ur thoughts!
                    I use to be this person when I was younger. I gave the game up at 15 because the only person that would tolerate me was my dad. His response to my temper was a stern lecture.
                    When I took the game up again in my mid 30's. The "I should be better then this attitude" was still there. Snapped a putter I had bought two hours earlier into a tree. Two years late I quit again.
                    Since I took the game up again I have had a maturing, if you could call it that, which I could not reach during my youthful rebel days. The game to me is fun first. If I do well on certain day, it's a bonus. I don't play or practice 7 days a week (my wife will argue this in 3 months) so I have accepted that I'm not going to bet the top five in the world, plus a couple more hundred thousand. My saying today is better than being at work and I walk on.
                    Mule
                    In The Ogio
                    Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
                    Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
                    Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
                    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
                    Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
                    Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
                    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by el tigre
                      ...and if you had actually hit one of them and caused serious injury, that would be OK then?

I understand the frustration, but this behaviour is no better that his - sorry, but the lame excuse of "he started it" just doesn't cut it. Purposely hitting a golf ball at someone should NEVER be an option - EVER.

Why not bring the behavior to the attention of the marshal or course management at the clubhouse? Why not simply confront the person WITHOUT firing golf balls at them? Even tossing their golf balls in the pond is a better way to get your message across. Getting hit with a golf ball can cause serious damage - which is why they need to be told to stop it and you need to refrain from stooping to the same behaviour.
                      Agreed.

Sometimes anger isn't your friend and the passion of a golf ball whizzing past your head three times in one round will cause a meltdown in the "sensability" portion of your brain. **Experience talking**

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X