Collapse

MOI fittings

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOI fittings

Yes that is the goal -> "constant-stance" as I like to call it.

As each club gets longer, the head moves a bit farther away from you, but your stance and setup would remain the same.

~ Andy
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
      Yes that is the goal -> "constant-stance" as I like to call it.
      As each club gets longer, the head moves a bit farther away from you, but your stance and setup would remain the same.
      ~ Andy
      Hi Andy Appreciate your comment, thanks so much. But, and i don't want to be too picky here, i really wanted a more specific answer to my question, since your comment, as valid as it is, didn't quite answer it, with precission.
      Thanks and cheers !

Comment

Harry and another Troll.
        Do you not re-read what you write and see how juvenile you come across ?
        You're a smart guy-> is this the best argument you could come up with ???

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
        What puzzles me, if his length and lie are ill-fitted, since they were not built to the TLT math model, then why does he generally always swing in balance, even when approaching 120+ mph?

Of course the best pros in the world do not play TLT.
        They swing 120+ mph, are in balance, super-skilled, developed from a young age that golf is all that matters, devote their lives to their profession . They are super-skilled and do not need what something like TLT, or other build methods, or a build method like the one you build to, in order to be world class golfers.

To paraphrase what you are saying: "well if the pros/elites don't use it must not be good, so why would average golfer consider anything but what the pros use ? " .... such a lame / troll reply

Conversely I could say -> The best pros in the world also don't play clubs built to Harry's Blue-Printed tolerances. Since the Pros don't play such tightly spec'd clubs, why should anyone else care ??? ... this is equally lame / troll reply from me on your methods. I don't make this statement as I think everyone can benefit from clubs build to very tight tolerances. And if I had an argument against something, it would surely be better than "what the pros/elites use"

We all know your "elite player" is your son FB, and I'm sure he is a great player.
        Save yourself some keystrokes and just type FB, you are hiding nothing.
        Nor that you hold up a sample size of 1 as your "proof" for whatever is you are arguing against.

Dan, don't even bother replying to such garbage.
        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
          So if someone would be kind to clarify for me, please: if a set of TLT irons is lined up against the wall, with all soles perfectly flat on the ground, would the end of grips be at exactly the same height on the wall for ALL clubs ?
          They should be pretty close. However the soles/clubhead will be further away.

Want to know how to tinker with your own clubs? Whats MOI? Whats the latest in club fitting technology? Use this forum to ask the experts or share your own tips and practices.

If u look at the picture in the first post you will see the handles vary but all clubheads are not wooed flush.

If they were they sit very close to one another. Hence the same repeatable athletic position.

This is still very different then Single Length.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
            They should be pretty close. However the soles/clubhead will be further away.
            Want to know how to tinker with your own clubs? Whats MOI? Whats the latest in club fitting technology? Use this forum to ask the experts or share your own tips and practices.

If u look at the picture in the first post you will see the handles vary but all clubheads are not wooed flush.
            If they were they sit very close to one another. Hence the same repeatable athletic position.
            This is still very different then Single Length.
            Hey, much appreciated and thanked. Excellent reply.

Comment

Harry and another Troll.
              Do you not re-read what you write and see how juvenile you come across ?
              You're a smart guy-> is this the best argument you could come up with ???

Of course the best pros in the world do not play TLT.
              They swing 120+ mph, are in balance, super-skilled, developed from a young age that golf is all that matters, devote their lives to their profession . They are super-skilled and do not need what something like TLT, or other build methods, or a build method like the one you build to, in order to be world class golfers.

To paraphrase what you are saying: "well if the pros/elites don't use it must not be good, so why would average golfer consider anything but what the pros use ? " .... such a lame / troll reply

Conversely I could say -> The best pros in the world also don't play clubs built to Harry's Blue-Printed tolerances. Since the Pros don't play such tightly spec'd clubs, why should anyone else care ??? ... this is equally lame / troll reply from me on your methods. I don't make this statement as I think everyone can benefit from clubs build to very tight tolerances. And if I had an argument against something, it would surely be better than "what the pros/elites use"

We all know your "elite player" is your son FB, and I'm sure he is a great player.
              Save yourself some keystrokes and just type FB, you are hiding nothing.
              Nor that you hold up a sample size of 1 as your "proof" for whatever is you are arguing against.

Motive is not trolling, just trying to engage in a substitutive debate on the topic.
              Even when proded for a response, I refrained from debating TLT over the years.

Andy your’re a smart guy, is this quote a better argument?
              “TLT continues to run very near 100% satisfaction”.
              Could non-TLT clubmakers make a similar claim?

Sorry Andy, I know you play a TLT set, and quick to accept things on blind faith.
              What got me puzzled, were Dan’s video comments "drop too low or stand too tall”.
              Easy swing fault to fix, just instruct a golfer not to vary their knee flex – easy fix!
              Is there a need for clubs to fix basic fundamentals, or just fix the fundamentals?

Also the TLT comments, “considered a very small deviation, and what little things need
              to be prioritized into the highest to lowest priority”. So what are the prioritized trade off's?

The best pros in the world would be better served playing Blueprinted clubs to very tight tolerances,
              but this isn’t within the scope of thread.

We learned a lot over the years using a sample size of 1 elite player, and will continue to do so.
              As a Six Sigma Master Black Belt and CLSSBB, I also know when to use a larger sample size than 1.
              No number of examples establishes a theory.
              A single unexplaned failure of a theory requires modification or abandonment of that theory.
              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                So if someone would be kind to clarify for me, please: if a set of TLT irons is lined up against the wall, with all soles perfectly flat on the ground, would the end of grips be at exactly the same height on the wall for ALL clubs ?
                Yes this statement would be correct.
                Regards
                Dan

True Length Technology TM
                Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                True Frequency Technology TM
                - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                - Master
                Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                - Advanced / Professional
                Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                - Class 'A'

Comment

Just to clarify, as a builder who uses 1/2 inch increments in the irons, I always target the wedges and the 9-iron to be 2 inches less than the matching 5-iron. Therefore, not all sets have a 38" 5-iron and a 36" wedge. In addition, all the wedges share the iron shaft with the identical cpm frequency as the matching 9-iron, so they perform with no loss of accuracy with a full swing.

I learn from testing theories with an elite player, with highly developed ball striking ability. I don't need to review a lot of noise in the data with a high standard deviation. If it works with this level of player, it will generally garnish improvement with those less accomplished players ... someone like myself.

Dan the elite player I am thinking of, plays a driver at 45.0 inch, a 5-iron at 37.75 inch and 9-iron to 59*LW at 35.75 inch. He is not adjusting knee flex or his spine angle between clubs, and he is aware of the changing X and Y ball positions he wants and needs to change, to get the desired 3D shot trajectory he seeks.

He doesn't choke up or down on the grip, even when close to the green. He was instructed to do so when he was 15 years old by his coach, and he dismissed this advice the very next day, based on his own testing and cause & effect analysis. He will however moderate his swing speed, even with a driver, to hit a target distance. He learned to adapt out of necessity, as it took 12 years to find a LH'ed 3-Wood he could hit on command with confidence. It was finding the right 3W head, which posed the challenge for so many years.

What puzzles me, if his length and lie are ill-fitted, since they were not built to the TLT math model, then why does he generally always swing in balance, even when approaching 120+ mph?

Dan you alluded to prioritized trade off's ... what are they?
                  Harry, what is done here is you are essentially dealing with a 1/2 set - 5 iron to the 9 iron if we look at lengths only. There will be minimal adjustment to the player in this circumstance. Still if you kept all the wedges and the 9 iron at 64 lie and lets say 36 inch length then the 5 is 38". Not sure how you determine the lie but I will assume dynamically. I would have this 5 iron set at around 59* lie for 38", and you may end near 60???? There will be very little adjustment to your player with your set - I agree.

But if you build a 3 iron at 39 inches nan still sit near factory standard - lets say 60* for OEM's then this club the player will be forced to adjust, or you have to flatten the lie angle perhaps to its limit to meet the criteria I seek - one address.

I am talking full sets, you are talking near 1/2 set - with longer wedges to compensate. Nothing wrong with this but where TLT will have the advantage is when I am building full sets I don't end up with too long of long irons - as well limiting the risk of breakage to flatten the lie perhaps past it's limits.
                  Regards
                  Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                  - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                    Harry, what is done here is you are essentially dealing with a 1/2 set - 5 iron to the 9 iron if we look at lengths only. There will be minimal adjustment to the player in this circumstance. Still if you kept all the wedges and the 9 iron at 64 lie and lets say 36 inch length then the 5 is 38". Not sure how you determine the lie but I will assume dynamically. I would have this 5 iron set at around 59* lie for 38", and you may end near 60???? There will be very little adjustment to your player with your set - I agree.

But if you build a 3 iron at 39 inches nan still sit near factory standard - lets say 60* for OEM's then this club the player will be forced to adjust, or you have to flatten the lie angle perhaps to its limit to meet the criteria I seek - one address.

I am talking full sets, you are talking near 1/2 set - with longer wedges to compensate. Nothing wrong with this but where TLT will have the advantage is when I am building full sets I don't end up with too long of long irons - as well limiting the risk of breakage to flatten the lie perhaps past it's limits.
                    Thanks for the clarification Dan. Can I assume the biggest advantage is with the larger or smaller individual, who gets further away from the so called off the rack standard?

Comment

Motive is not trolling, just trying to engage in a substitutive debate on the topic.

Sorry Andy, I know you play a TLT set, and quick to accept things on blind faith.
                      What got me puzzled, were Dan’s video comments "drop too low or stand too tall”.
                      Easy swing fault to fix, just instruct a golfer not to vary their knee flex – easy fix!
                      Is there a need for clubs to fix basic fundamentals, or just fix the fundamentals?

Also the TLT comments, “considered a very small deviation, and what little things need
                      to be prioritized into the highest to lowest priority”. So what are the prioritized trade off's?

The best pros in the world would be better served playing Blueprinted clubs to very tight tolerances,

We learned a lot over the years using a sample size of 1 elite player, and will continue to do so.
                      As a Six Sigma Master Black Belt and CLSSBB, I also know when to use a larger sample size than 1.
                      A single unexplaned failure of a theory requires modification or abandonment of that theory.
                      The problem with this is near 50% of my work comes from altering someone else's fit.

When people seek my service it is usually because they continue to struggle with the fit after spending (sometimes extraordinary amounts of money) on a set of clubs that were to be fit to them. Most cases wedges are too short and long irons feel too long and appear to be too toe up. They continue to struggle with thin shots and directional control.

I didn't seek them, they came to me for the correction. After my TLT fitting they fully understand all the ills that live in their set - as they have now held clubs that allow them to be athletic - all the time. The re-fit sells itself and the feedback after the correction also speaks for itself.

You spent your whole life on the statistical side. I too have experience here, but the bulk of my education has came from the measurement and design side - how things fit, why they don't fit, and how to correct these components so they do fit.

This is what I did in the automotive world and this is what I do in the golf fitting world. Use a math model that is designed correctly - eliminating all the adjustments the player has had to deal with their entire golfing career.

The 1/2 inch increment can work, and has worked, but a sound understanding on what needs to be done to promote straight ball flight without adjustment to the player is what I seek to control. It's just a little easier with math.
                      Regards
                      Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Dan. Can I assume the biggest advantage is with the larger or smaller individual, who gets further away from the so called off the rack standard?
                        Yes, this is where the TLT has the advantage, is with the full fitting rack the tall player simply gets to hold and swing clubs that allow him to remain tall, and the short player no longer has to deal with extreme toe up - or choking down.

Harry I have no problem with any of your challenges. My methods are sound and used by many of the top club fitter's in the world. A number of the Golf Digest top 100 fitters were students of mine within the Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals - out of Georgia. Many of these builder's build to the True Length Technology math model following my methods and build programs and several have stated that TLT is their only build method. I don't track who their customers are but am positive a good number of them have built sets for high level player as these builders are the guys that are benefitting from being on the magazine's list.
                        Regards
                        Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                        - Class 'A'

Comment

What I often see here is yes, you can maintain the singular address position and keep your knees in the same bend profile when working with the standard specs' of any OEM set, but the adjustment is moved to the hands.

Often will see the player choke down or palm the grip of the shorter irons and have extra shaft sitting above their hands when holding the longer irons. I am speaking here as if the player finds the 7 iron (a mid iron) to be very near a perfect fit. This will be the case if the OEM irons are set to standard.

Harry, not sure how you fine tune the lie angle, but by a mathematical approach I will have every club set identical to the next as far as how much toe is tipped up at address. With a mathematically designed set I am trying to force the player to develop a singular address regardless of the club and remain there for all clubs. It will take near 5 rounds before you begin to see the consistency that I am trying to drive into the set as a whole.

All of us played off the rack - me for many years - and always found my short irons too short and long irons too long - and I believe the majority of us felt this. Tall players - all irons felt too short and short player - we all noticed how high the toe was in the air for these players. These are the reasons I developed TLT. Back then, lie angles of the long irons were flatter and the lengths were shorter so the deviation was less. We weren't playing 39 1/2 inch 3 irons at 60* lie.

As the OEM began its strive to fix every ones slice and add distance, they went upright and added length. Has it done anything for the game of accuracy? I don't believe so. The fit is where the accuracy comes from - by having lies set relative to lengths - forcing the singular address. here consistency will develop and payers games do improve.

I'm all for you statistical approach and appreciate the effort you put into this. As a student of 6 sigma, having worked with many Red X masters - I have seen the benefits. A quality build is very important to me as well.
                          With respect
                          Dan
                          Regards
                          Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                          - Class 'A'

Comment

Andy are you serious?
                            You spent your whole life on the statistical side. I too have experience here, but the bulk of my education has came from the measurement and design side - how things fit, why they don't fit, and how to correct these components so they do fit.

This is what I did in the automotive world and this is what I do in the golf fitting world. Use a math model that is designed correctly - eliminating all the adjustments the player has had to deal with their entire golfing career.

The 1/2 inch increment can work, and has worked, but a sound understanding on what needs to be done to promote straight ball flight without adjustment to the player is what I seek to control. It's just a little easier with math.
                            Dan first off, very respectful replies, to aid in the understanding of the finer points of TLT.

I think automotive has prepared us well, in that we took what we learned in industry, then applied it at home with our golf addiction.
                            This blending is ‘innovation at its finest’. You branched into the metrology discipline, and I the TQM/Statistical (Six Sigma) discipline.

Heck I’ve been doing this for 20 years. At the start it was the blueprinting of clubs, to include understanding effects of spine alignment.
                            So for 7 years, I was part of a graphite shaft research group, with other like minded individuals of all disciplines from around the globe.
                            I seeked to answer one failure mode. Why can a shorter graphite shafted wood have a weaker frequency when trimmed an extra inch.
                            Once I learned about S/NBP/FLO, and incorporated this knowledge into the club build, then this failure mode was never to be seen again.

With the assistance of FB, our focus shifted to the bigger picture of elite development, to gain entitlement aimed at a lower stroke average.
                            All of our original research started from the development of a 1 page Cause & Effect Diagram titled, “Decoding Golf’s DNA – 150 Methods™”.
                            We viewed golf not from a sport, but from a systems perspective. Most of our focus was on 'How to Improve', the stuff most disagree on.

Dan I know you understand the importance of a quality build, and are very dedicated to your craft with a strong following from many top builders.
                            My hats off for being a true professional and for advancing this profession.
                            I'm all for you statistical approach and appreciate the effort you put into this. As a student of 6 sigma, having worked with many Red X masters - I have seen the benefits. A quality build is very important to me as well.
                            With respect
                            Dan
                            Dan you mentioned having worked with ‘many Red X masters’. In the 90’s, I met Dorian Shainin at the GM Continuous Improvement Symposium.
                            Did you ever work with Jock MacKay, Ph.D., from the University of Waterloo? He was a travelling IIQP stats consultant, and GM and I used him often.
                            I also remember working with GM folks by the name of Pete Peters and Anita Gatti. Another guy by the name of Mike B, but can't spell his surname.

In some ways with similar automotive 'Q' backgrounds, we got to the same destination ... golf improvement.
                            Last edited by TourIQ; Dec 28, 2016, 03:58 AM.

Comment

^^^ My mistake, I guess I'm the one who is the a*s with commentary like that above ???
                              I'm glad you know sooo much about me, my game, my research & education & lessons & practice to improve my play.
                              The "garbage" being your troll post about being "Hmmm, I'm puzzled how my son can play so well without TLT ... ? "

I will not detract further from this thread and will let the MOI /TLT/etc golf discussion continue.
                              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

[QUOTE=ARL67;1609394"

I will not detract further from this thread and will let the MOI /TLT/etc golf discussion continue.[/QUOTE]

The both of them are sucking up to each other and like politicians they will find a way to either avoid answering the question or find a way to butter it their ways. Who cares who belongs to the alpha beta sigma fraternity?

TLT by nature is not very compatible with MOI matching. Perhaps in the middle series but very hard to achieve in the short and long series where either weight or length has to be dealt with to achieve the right MOI for a particular golfer. And I assume that when going to a fitting the MOI is not measured and possibly not even discussed.

Harry did not answer my question and probably won't. He wrote the following :

TourIQ;1609035]
                                Dan the elite player I am thinking of, plays a driver at 45.0 inch, a 5-iron at 37.75 inch and 9-iron to 59*LW at 35.75 inch. He is not adjusting knee flex or his spine angle between clubs, and he is aware of the changing X and Y ball positions he wants and needs to change, to get the desired 3D shot trajectory he seeks.

Notice how spine angle is no longer part of the discussion. It has shifted to knee flex You can clearly see from the pic on post 44 that the spine angle
                                does change in a conventional set.

Can Dan come right out and confirm that the spine and knee flex remain constant throughout the set?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X