Collapse

Licence plate cover laws

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licence plate cover laws

Haven't been able to find an answer online, so I thought I would ask the fine people at TGN. Does anyone know the Ontario laws about the clear/blue/tinted licence plate covers avalaible at Canadian Tire and other auto parts stores? Are they legal or not?

Re: Licence plate cover laws

The OPP said they were not legal. They said that you can't cover your licence plate.

I don't know why they are still selling them. I also don't know anybody that were ticketed for having one of those. I know some people got warnings..
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Plate covers are typically illegal.

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/39904
      I like big putts and I cannot lie
      You other putters can't deny
      That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
      You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I'm curious. Do they block the 407 cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt
          I'm curious. Do they block the 407 cameras?
          Nope

However if you get the special welding glass version it might work
          My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl
            The OPP said they were not legal. They said that you can't cover your licence plate.

I don't know why they are still selling them. I also don't know anybody that were ticketed for having one of those. I know some people got warnings..
            illegal per our Ontario HTA if it renders you plates unreadable by red light cameras, photo radar, ETR toll cameras ...

Number plates, further violations ....

No other numbers to be exposed
            13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).
            Number plate to be kept clean
            (2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
            Obstruction prohibited
            (3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).
            Same
            (3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).
            Same
            (3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).
            Offence
            (4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).
            PING G2 10°... Callaway Steelhead 3W ... Mizuno Fli-Hi 21° ... Callaway X-14 PS ... Cleveland 588 RTG 53° & 57° ... PING Anser3 ... Maxfli Noodle ... Sun Mountain C-130

Comment

Originally posted by iyell4
              illegal per our Ontario HTA if it renders you plates unreadable by red light cameras, photo radar, ETR toll cameras ...

Number plates, further violations ....

No other numbers to be exposed
              13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).
              Number plate to be kept clean
              (2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
              Obstruction prohibited
              (3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).
              Same
              (3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).
              Same
              (3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).
              Offence
              (4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).
              exactly - so as long as the plate is readable, you're fine. I've had plate covers on my vehicles for 5 years with never an issue.
              Slice.

Comment

Coloured plate covers, even when clean, are illagal. I know several people who have gotten tickets for those.

Comment

does the ticketing only happen on the 407?
                  Slice.

Comment

Originally posted by slicendice
                    does the ticketing only happen on the 407?
                    No. It has nothing to do with avoiding toll cameras.

Comment

so, you're a police officer or work at traffic court? It's not that I don't belive you, it's just that I'd need some legal proof that i'd get a ticket for my ever so slightly smoke coloured covers.

for those who got tickets or know people who got tickets for this? What kind of car was the person driving? I drive a late model silver CRV - unless I'm speeding or otherwise being a naughty driver, I'm invisible.
                      Last edited by slicendice; Jan 31, 2008, 03:28 PM.
                      Slice.

Comment

they have to be legal if the MTO are selling them. You can buy them at any MTO office and they are blue. But if the shielding becomes scratched or hard to read you have to remove it or replace it.

I also believe their can only be certain colours that are allowed like blue/clear/tinted because my sister almost got a ticket for having her pink covers on.

You never know when the cop wants to be an basturd and give you a ticket for it.
                        -------------------------------
                        Member of the '08, '10, '11, '14 Champion TGN Ryder Cup Team!

In the Bag Fitted by Modern Golf:
                        TM SLDR TP 9* w/ Ozik 7M3 Black Tie X-flex
                        Ping i15 15.5* w/ Accra Prototype X-flex
                        Adams Idea Pro w/ Speeder 757 X-flex

TM Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW w/ PX 7.0
                        Ping Tour W 52,56,60 w/ PX 6.5
                        Odyssey ProType iX #9HT w/ Super Stroke Slim 1.0
                        TM Lethal

GAO#

GAO index: 9.3

Comment

Originally posted by nobdyhere
                          my sister almost got a ticket for having her pink covers on.

You never know when the cop wants to be an basturd and give you a ticket for it.
                          ..or has ulterior motives!
                          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by nobdyhere
                            they have to be legal if the MTO are selling them. You can buy them at any MTO office and they are blue. But if the shielding becomes scratched or hard to read you have to remove it or replace it.

I also believe their can only be certain colours that are allowed like blue/clear/tinted because my sister almost got a ticket for having her pink covers on.

A buddy of mine is with the OPP and has told me that they are illegal.....and if caught, will be asked to remove. In some cases they just get you to take them off on the spot and be done with it....if you can't, they fine you instead so you do.

Comment

Admit it, the only reason you put covers on your plate is to hopefully ride toll roads incognito.
                              Keeps the dirt off? Yeah sure.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X